WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Bloomsburg Future

Moderator: GAH

Re: Bloomsburg Future

Postby Bart » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:10 pm

huskycolonial wrote:Where is Colbert? He was arguably our most successful wrestler. Good to see these guys are wrestling hard. Hopefully some of them are high ceiling guys who can be coached up. It would be nice to have a few blue chippers.

Colbert is still on the roster, but who knows why he is not on the mat? Worthington at 197 was removed from the posted roster.
Bart
Expert

Postby Vikings » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:22 am

Spiller may be done. Sounds like another mass exodus is about to happen. Colbert was an academic issue.
Vikings
Novice

Postby Bart » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:33 am

Vikings wrote:Spiller may be done. Sounds like another mass exodus is about to happen. Colbert was an academic issue.

If that is true, maybe the former coach wasn't the problem. Spiller never looked the same after his injury last year. He was thrown around quite a bit this year.
Bart
Expert

Postby CJC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:22 pm

I'm seriously concerned with the health of the program.
CJC
Expert

Postby huskycolonial » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 pm

The program is dead. There is no health. Move on. Football starts in 5 months.
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby mattown-maniac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Hey Bloomsburg wrestling fans. Check out the link below to the rally at LHU to try to save Track & Field from the chopping block. You might remember a couple years ago the LHU community saved the baseball program which the administration was prepared to eliminate. Track & Field, baseball, not even sports that a lot of people go out to see. They make it hard to kill a sport at Lock Haven. So, my question is if they announce they're going to downgrade wrestling to DII or eliminate it altogether, what kinds of rallies will we see at Blloomsburg? My point is that somebody needs to raise Hell if you want your sport to prevail. Get into somebody's face about it. I don't believe that is happening now.

http://www.lockhaven.com/news/urgent-in ... -lhu-cuts/
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby Husky1967 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:52 pm

MM, you don't know the half of it when it comes to raising some hell about the wrestling program at Bloomsburg. I will not tell you how many "run-ins" I have had with certain individuals at Bloomsburg about the undermining of the Div I wrestling program at Bloom. I am not going to "air the dirty laundry" on this website, but there is an air of obstructionism that prevails at Bloomsburg with respect to getting the program back to the level of the glory years of the 80's. There are those who would contribute the money to enable such a happening, but they are put off by the athletic administration. It is absolutely and positively frustratingly unique. Let me run some #'s by you with respect to athletic scholarships at some PSAC schools:

As of last Fall here are the number of athletic scholarships offered by a number of PSAC schools: California 74.52 (football 20.6), Slippery Rock 68.60 (football 24.34), IUP 67.25 (football 29.56), Edinboro 66.11 (football 14.76) Mercyhurst 172.60 (football 33.14), Gannon 127.79 (football 31.57) Seton Hill 124.08 (football 34.12), Clarion 40.90 (football 10.12), Bloomsburg 36.92 (football 10.16), Lock Haven 32.63 (football 6.22), Shippensburg 47.01 (football 8.92), and West Chester 44.96 (football 8,39). No need to go on. Notice anything? I have it from not just one but more than several reliable sources that a wealthy benefactor offered a sum of money in the realm of 7 digits to enhance Bloomsburg Div I wrestling and he was told by an unnamed personage that he would have to allow a considerable portion of said sum to be diverted into football and women's sports athletic scholarships. Nobody can or will explain why the schools in the PSAC West are able to have so many more athletic scholarships than the schools in the PSAC East. Item: At the EWLs, I and a friend of mine were told that Clarion had 7 wrestling scholarships, but were being short changed in football. I took that with "a grain of salt", but if that is true then it goes to show that the PSAC West also has the edge in wrestling just as in football. The Div II schools in PSAC wrestling are probably close to being fully funded Am sure Edinboro also has a nice number of wrestling scholarships for its Div I program. Don't know how many, but I am sure it is more than Bloom and LHU have. There is something amiss, but getting an explanation is most elusive. How are the PSAC West schools doing it--excluding Mercyhurst, Gannon, and Seton Hill? Any thoughts??
Last edited by Husky1967 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby mattown-maniac » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Neither the adrift Bloom wrestling program nor the scholarship differentials between PSAC east and west make any sense to me.
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby Husky1967 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Evidently, the West and East operate with a different set of guidelines. i also think the PSAC West has much stronger alumni and community support. The PSAC East athletic powers that be seem to be quite cavalier about operating under such a handicap. It is all beyond my comprehension. Will keep in touch.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby d » Tue May 16, 2017 9:17 am

recruits listed on intermat site:
04-05-17 Bloomsburg Marco Macrino West Essex NJ 133/141

per intermat, Noble transferred out:
04-15-17 NYU Matt Noble DePaul Catholic (via Bloomsburg) NJ 133

earl at d1collegewrestling.net has 0 recruits listed from this class
d
Veteran

Postby Bart » Tue May 16, 2017 5:37 pm

I have seen a few others, but not much to be excited about. Look forward to seeing what the entire class looks like.

Gabe Ikeda out of Cedar Cliff, Chase Gardner 152 from Bellefonte, and Mert Gulen 180 Maryland State placewinner. The most accolades so far go to Delaware State Champ Dante Immediato at 126. He was a 3x runner-up, and H.S. All-American.
Bart
Expert

Postby KolbyNorthHall » Fri May 19, 2017 11:13 am

Bloom needs to keep current roster intact and get some more bodies that they can develop. True test will be the next recruiting class when their coaching staff will be intact for a whole year to develop relationships with HS wrestlers. For whatever reason school doers not want to fund the only Division 1 program on campus and the program that through the years has given Bloomsburg their greatest sports notoriety.
KolbyNorthHall
Novice

Postby Bart » Sun May 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Ian Minnich Hwt Williams Valley AA 6th
Bart
Expert

Postby huskycolonial » Mon May 29, 2017 12:25 pm

So it's a crap recruiting class for Bloom. Not even on par with good D2 programs. Maybe the new President will inject some energy into the schools only division 1 sport or mercifully pull the plug.
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby Husky1967 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:10 am

Hope you are right, HC. It is hard for me to comprehend that the Huskies can't seem to recruit anybody of note from their own backyard--the Central Susquehanna Valley--a long time hotbed of high school wrestling. Nor were they able to land anybody from District 1 where I live. There was a time when guys like Matt Moley and Dave Morgan (both two time AA's) and any number of other high level wrestling competitors from District 1 chose to go to Bloom. Not encouraging. Hoping for better times.
Husky1967
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to EASTERN WRESTLING LEAGUE