WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Timberrrrr

Sponsored by Allen Brown

Moderators: Allen Brown, Bruce, GAH

Timberrrrr

Postby black_sabathia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:44 pm

Down goes Rey, down goes Rey, down goes Rey.
black_sabathia
Expert

Re: OBJECTS IN MIRROR...

Postby D3 for LU » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:15 pm

...are closer than they appear.

Look.
I would rather see something like this occur NOW, than during the postseason @ the NCAA's.
Give credit to ASU's Cooper, a returning AA...apparently he's dangerous on the mat like AU's Flores.
No doubt Mocco and Rey will work on this for sure.
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Re: Timberrrrr

Postby LU108J14 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Zach comes back 7-3 vs. Purdue. UR Dancin' with the devil when you let it come down to the third period. Obviously worked well for a while but the top guys might have figured the timing out. Agree D3, better now then later. And you know he's gonna give it he** now!
"Live for today ... Plan for tomorrow!"
LU108J14
Veteran

Motivational speech...don't rest till end of March'12

Postby D3 for LU » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:08 pm

D3 for LU
Expert

Postby JJH » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:42 pm

I was there, and that was a legitimate 5-point move off the bottom by Cooper. Man, is he big! Zach tried to hold on a little longer than he should have. The rematch will be worth the price of admission. JJH
JJH
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:50 am

Rey should lose to nobody this year. He is a walking oak tree. Too bad for him. Should hurt him on the seeding side in NCAAs. Overall, the Lehigh team has some bright spots which should carry them far in the tourney.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby weh » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:54 am

JJH wrote:I was there, and that was a legitimate 5-point move off the bottom by Cooper. Man, is he big! Zach tried to hold on a little longer than he should have. The rematch will be worth the price of admission. JJH

Cooper's 5 pt move was assisted by Rey's absolutely terrible leg riding technique. (I wasn't there but stayed at a Holiday Inn AND watched the flo video.)
weh
Expert

Postby weh » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:59 am

ALSO, Rey does not look like the Rey of last year, at least not yet.
weh
Expert

Postby black_sabathia » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:08 am

I was actually happy to see Zach lose. If a loss can be considered good then this was a good loss for him. He's gotten away with and been rewarded for being extraordinarily conservative.

A typical bout for him now is: Period 1, no score and no shots. Period two, escape (assuming he's down) in 5 seconds, then push for the rest of the period. Period 3, try and ride for 1 minute, if successful release and push the rest of the bout. If unable to secure riding time, go into OT and repeat above plan.

Hopefully now he'll open up a little, but I somehow doubt it.
black_sabathia
Expert

The match from Flo...

Postby D3 for LU » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:27 pm

Noted how BIG Cooper is next to Rey(...and Rey isn't little either! :wink: )
For a wrestler THAT size...shouldn't Zach avoided throwning the boots here? :?
(He had some success w/near arm chop as far as breaking LC first move from bottom. )
http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/240445-Journeymen-Northeast-Duals-2011/video/521123-285-lbs-match-Levi-Cooper-ASU-vs-Zach-Rey-Lehigh
D3
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby LUchico » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Based on the score, I thought he must have stunk up the joint, but after viewing the match I thought he was wrestling pretty well, although admittedly, typically Rey conservatively (see Black Sabbathia post above). Somewhat ironically, he got himself in trouble while he was being aggressive. And therein lies the rub. With his typical low scoring, close match, approach, there is no margin for error. If a wrestler like a Flores, or in this case Cooper, can hang close, anything can happpen at the end.
I can't recall Zac ever getting himself in trouble when he has failed to convert on a leg shot, so it puzzles me why he doesn't work those more. He has several good leg shots. And by now I thought we might see a foot sweep :wink:
LUchico
Expert

Postby RichH » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Conservative stance seems endemic to Unl wrestlers ,Rey the best now at it but dangerous if you lose concentration vs a good wrestler. Kennedy s/b a heavyweight given his style. Both of them excellent but I think both are going to lose some more matches that they should win solely because of their style of wrestling
RichH
Veteran

Postby weh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:47 pm

LUchico wrote:Based on the score, I thought he must have stunk up the joint, but after viewing the match I thought he was wrestling pretty well, although admittedly, typically Rey conservatively (see Black Sabbathia post above). Somewhat ironically, he got himself in trouble while he was being aggressiveNOT REALLY.

Looked like to me that Cooper initiated a 'hip smash' to get to the leg for the reversal - though I am reluctant to call it a hip smash because it was sooooooo slow.
weh
Expert

Postby JJH » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Slow is the operative word here. It seemed to take forever to get Zach's shoulder blades down to the mat close enough for the ref to start counting. But he kept making progress, and Zach was never close to reversing the move until long after three points have been earned.
While we can critique Zach's moves in this bout, Cooper gets full props for getting it done. I'll be watching him more closely in the future. JJH
JJH
Expert

Return to Lehigh