WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Kerry McCoy Announces Terp Recruiting Class

Moderator: GAH

Kerry McCoy Announces Terp Recruiting Class

Postby Allen Brown » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:04 pm

^^From the University of Maryland Wrestling Site-

June 24, 2013

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - University of Maryland wrestling head coach Kerry McCoy announced Monday the signing of nine student-athletes for the 2013-14 season.

The class features multiple state champions including National High School Coaches Association and National Prep All-Americans.

"I am really excited about the incoming class," said McCoy. "We have several solid wresters returning next season and we were looking to building upon that talent base. We were able to get some really good quality wrestlers who will challenge for starting positions right away."

Next season, the Terps expect to return seven of their 10 starters and will welcome back two-time heavyweight ACC champion Spencer Myers, who missed the 2012-13 season due to injury.

Name (Projected Weight Class | High School | Hometown) - Listed Alphabetically

Justin Alexander (149 | Pittsburgh Central Catholic | Pittsburgh, Pa.)
Prep: Placed fourth at the 2013 Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic League (WPIAL) AAA Wrestling Championships ... a four-time WPIAL qualifier ... a four-time Allegheny County placer ... placed fifth at the 2012 Powerade Christmas Wrestling Tournament.

Ryan Diehl (133 | Trinity | Berkeley Springs, W. Va.)
Prep: Touted as one of the top 100 wrestlers in the class of 2013 by Amateur Wrestling News ... a four-time state champion capturing two Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association AA titles at Trinity High School in Camp Hill, Pa., and two West Virginia AA/A championships at Berkeley Springs High School ... represented the Pennsylvania All-Stars against the U.S. All-Stars in the 2013 Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic ... 2011 Super 32 champion at 120 pounds and placed third at 126 in 2012 ... a finalist at the 2012 Beast of the East ... recorded 174 career victories.

Arashdeep Gill (174 | Chaminade College Prep | Sylmar, Ca.)
Prep: Captured the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Southern Section title as a senior ... a four-time CIF section placer and four-time Mission League champion ... a CIF state championship qualifier ... recorded 135 career victories ... graduated with highest honors and a 4.2 weighted GPA.

Jesse Holton (133/141 | Wyoming Seminary College Preparatory | Windsor, N.Y.)
Prep: Earned All-American honors in the Greco-Roman division at the 2012 FILA Junior National Championships ... a 2010 FILA Cadet Greco-Roman All-American ... won the 2010 New York State Section IV Division II title.

Robert Janis (157 | St. Christopher's School | Glen Allen, Va.)
Prep: Named the 2012-13 Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association (VISAA) Wrestler of the Year ... a three-time VISAA champion winning at 152 in 2013, at 145 in 2012 and at 130 in 2011 ... a three-time National Prep All-American ... placed sixth at the 2011 Beast of the East.

Ryan Kail (285 | Stephen Decatur | Berlin, Md.)
Prep: A two-time Middle Atlantic Wrestling Association (MAWA) All-American ... as a senior, won the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA) 3A/4A East Region title ... won the Bayside Conference championship as a junior ... 2012 War on the Shore champion ... earned first team All-Bayside Conference honors in football as a senior and was selected for the Maryland Crab Bowl ... a four-time honor roll student who also served as vice president of the student council.

Christopher Reilly (125 | Half Hollow Hills West | Wheatley Heights, N.Y.)
Prep: A three-time all-league selection and two-time league champion ... also served as team captain for two seasons ... a member of the National Honor Society ... a high honor roll honoree all four years.

Daniel Sanchez (133/141 | Georgetown Prep | Silver Spring, Md.)
Prep: A NHSCA All-American and USAW Junior All-American ... the 2012 Maryland Independent School (MIS) champion at 132 pounds and four-time finalist ... a four-time Interstate Athletic Conference (IAC) champion ... a three-time National Prep medalist ... placed seventh at the 2012 Beast of the East.

Sean Twigg (285 | Glenelg | Glenelg, Md.)
Prep: Won back-to-back MPSSAA 1A/2A titles as a junior and senior ... two-time MPSSAA 1A/2A South Region champion ... 2012 Mount Mat Madness champion.
Allen Brown

Re: Kerry McCoy Announces Terp Recruiting Class

Postby TwoCrows » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:59 pm

2014 Recruiting

This is a disappointing recruiting class. The table below using D1Wrestling’s recruiting rankings, compares ACC recruiting during Coach McCoy’s tenure.

Year: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
MD: NR, NR, 23, 13, NR
VT: 5, 24, 9, 10, 9
VA: 15, NR, 18, 24, 6
UNC: NR, 14, 10, NR, NR
NCState: 4, NR, 7, NR, 17
Pitt: 2, NR, NR, NR, NR

I think Maryland’s success is a tribute to the coaching staff in getting the most from their recruits and also finding some under the radar talent.

Maryland eked out a third place finish last year, and will be fortunate to repeat the performance in 2014. Both Virginia and Pitt have lost two of their best wrestlers to graduation (VA: Matt Snyder and AA Jedd Moore, Pitt: AA’s Matt Wilps and Zac Thomusseit) whereas Maryland only lost one, Josh Asper. However, both VA and Pitt’s solid recruiting this year may make up in part for their losses.

Maryland has yet to fill the gap left by Kyle John and barring a big surprise, there doesn’t appear to be anybody on the roster to fill Asper’s shoes. This year’s recruiting class brings in two state champs: blue chipper Ryan Diehl and a two time MD heavyweight division 1A/2A state champ, Sean Twigg.

the 2015 recruiting is off to a better start with Alfred Bannister and Josh Llopez, both in-state. Hopefully more high quality wrestlers will be added.

The line-up I see for 2014:

125: Polacek/Rappo. The cut to 125 is too much for Gentry. Gentry will be stronger and healthier at 133. This would allow Diehl to red-shirt and prepare for a 4 year Big 10 career.

133: Gentry. Alexander has a red-shirt year available and should take it. If he can still make 133, he has two years left.

141: Brown. A recruit with real promise.
149: Goodwin/Mascola

157: Dorsay. He has yet to live up to the promise of a 3 time VA state champ and Beast of the East champ. His red-shirt season had a good won-lost record but no signature wins. This needs to be his breakout year.

165: If we’re lucky, NCAA will drop this weight class.

174: Sheptock. He should AA again and has a chance to finish higher at 174 than 184, although Howe and Taylor are big obstacles.

184: Snook/Jastrzebski.

197: Boley. With confidence and health he can be a national force.

Hwy: Myers. A true heavyweight who will make this a better weight class for us. But if he wishes to return to the podium he needs to rely on technique as much as strength.

Overall, I think Maryland will be a solider team next year than this, even though there doesn’t appear to be anybody with the star power of Asper entering the lineup.
TwoCrows
Veteran

Postby Allen Brown » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:27 pm

^^TWO CROWS, Very nice analysis. Moreover, I tend to agree that the past five years UMD has been performing better than they are recruiting.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the UMD 2013-14 sched. Should be good year for the ACC.
Allen Brown

Postby EngineerLehigh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 pm

184 NCAA graduated a lot of talent. I see Sheptock staying there and making finals against Ruth pending brackets. He is a Top 3. There will be 3-4 Maryland wrestlers who could make run to R12 and that ain't shabby for any team.
EngineerLehigh
Expert

Postby TwoCrows » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:07 am

You make a really good point and I concede. Almost all of the placers and round of 12 finishers are back at 74, as well as Howe. (And I didn't really mean to say Taylor). And just about everybody from the round of 12 on graduates at 184. Of course with Sheptock at 184 that leaves 174 with no obvious wrestler.

Boley and Myers have a shot at making R12, and with a good draw, beyond. But after that its hard to see who else can make R12.
TwoCrows
Veteran

Postby meats » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Very nice analysis. Yes, Terps seem to wrestle better under Kerry than they have recruited over past 5 years. However a very positive 2014 class has been started strong with Bannister and llopez, two exciting wrestlers. Kerry must follow up this coup with at least two more for 2014 that can compete in the B1G. Obviously Kerry was holding some schollies back for 2014. Other than Diehl in the 2013 class, I believe Janis has the potential to help us eventually. I do hope Diehl is able to RS.

Comments on Myers are right on the money. Hey, if you can't improve Hwt technique under Kerry, the cause is hopeless. I think Myers will. He does seem injury prone however. I see Sheptock top 3 or 4 nationally at 184 but what a gapping hole at 174 and 165. It would be nice to see Alexander RS as well as we will need him in B1G. He really started off the season strong but did fade considerably by season end. We must have a top 10 class for 2014 as we move up to the best conference in the country. Any rumors or as to Todd Beckermans replacement?
meats
Veteran

Postby WLU in DC » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:41 pm

great analysis, thanks for sharing TwoCrows.

Sheptock is huge, and i'm kind of surprised he's able to make 174. but if 74 is his natural weight then he should by all means go at it there. he's had to wait long enough behind asper. next two years will be very interesting for the Terps. the ACC is looking as strong as ever for their final year and then things dont get any easier after that.
WLU in DC
Expert

Postby Allen Brown » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:52 pm

^^^I think Sheptock would have edged Asper at 174 last fall, had the coaching staff decided to let them wrestle off. This season I suspect Sheptock will just stay at 184, rather than have the burden of keeping his weight under control. We shall see.
Allen Brown

Postby ne125 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Interesting thread guys. Here's my amateur take on the potential starting line up:

25- I think it would be good to see diehl at 125. I don't think he's a career 125 pounder but I think it would be good to get a year under his belt and then redshirt the next year when Alexander is off redshirt. If they both RS next year there will be a logjam at 133 in 2014-15. I don't think polacek rappo or oneil showed enough yer but if they improve there is potential with all 3.

33-redshirt Alexander. Let gentry move up. He's been killing himself the last 2 years to get to 25

41-shyheim brown. Great RS year -bright future

49. Goodwin. Hopefully being healed will do wonders. He's got all the talent in the world but is majorly inconsistent. Redshirt mascola. He has promise

57. Dorsey. He has all the talent but is wildly inconsistent too. Hopefully he comes back mentally strong

65. Who the hell knows. I think meske has promise but was injured the whole year. Maybe one of last years 57 pounders moves up and improves immensely.

74. See comments about 165. Llopez will be a welcome addition

84. Not sure why Sheptock would want to go down. Could be runner up at 84. 74 is way harder

97. Hopefully an aa

Hwt. Hopefully an aa. Injuries hurt him the year he dnp at nationals
ne125
Expert

Postby meats » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:01 am

While I heard Diehl say he expected to RS his first year and I feel he needs that time to get stronger, the scenario with Gentry, Alexander and Diehl does make good strategic sense... assuming Gentry can't wrestle at 125 and Diehl can (some say he can't) . Alexander would benefit from a RS. Boy, how did we get in this 165/174 mess? Regarding Myers at 285, the kid has got to stay healthy. I always felt he wrestles stiff and relies too much on strength. AA potential surely. I am hoping Dorsey will pick it up and defeat some ranked guys. I just do not feel confident about Goodwin...he could turn it around however IF he stays healthy. Come on Frank!

Would not it be great if Hwt Thomas Haines became a Terp next year. A perfect fit. He could jump right as RS freshman after Myers grads in 2 years. By the way, the big time recruiting has started and most of the top 100 kids are gone by 12/1.
Come on Kerry and staff...add to that Bannister and Llopez team.
meats
Veteran

Postby Allen Brown » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:13 am

Spencer Myers had an EWL champ working out with him and coaching him at Selinsgrove. Thru HS Myers basically relied on straight ahead leg attacks for td's and stand-ups from bottom for escapes. Basically using simiar techniques so far in college. Physicallyh Myers is a monster, but he seems, so far, to use what brought him success in high school. I assumed he was going to make major additions to technique in college - might still do so?
Allen Brown

Postby waleeedijaz » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:55 am

Maryland eked out a third place finish last year, and will be fortunate to repeat the performance in 2014. Both Virginia and Pitt have lost two of their best wrestlers to graduation (VA: Matt Snyder and AA Jedd Moore, Pitt: AA’s Matt Wilps and Zac Thomusseit) whereas Maryland only lost one, Josh Asper. However, both VA and Pitt’s solid recruiting this year may make up in part for their losses.

Maryland has yet to fill the gap left by Kyle John and barring a big surprise, there doesn’t appear to be anybody on the roster to fill Asper’s shoes. This year’s recruiting class brings in two state champs: blue chipper Ryan Diehl and a two time MD heavyweight division 1A/2A state champ, Sean Twigg.

== www.solitairecardgame.info ==
waleeedijaz
"Newbie"

Return to ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE