WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Allen Brown

Moderator: GAH

Re: Allen Brown

Postby skikayaker » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:29 pm

The news of Allen's passing was like a punch in the stomach for me and I'm so sad that he passed away. My prayers go out to his family. Literally, I feel like I can just cry, and I never met him. I never met him, yet he was always there as part of the landscape of our great sport, the sport of wrestling.

His contribution to wrestling was one of a kind, unique, much appreciated and will be sorely missed.

God bless Allen Brown's family.
ASICS - (Latin) Anima Sana In Corpore Sano - (English) a sound mind in a sound body.
skikayaker
Veteran

Postby D3 for LU » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:15 pm

My thoughts and prayers to Allen Brown's family... AB was the icon of this website.
The forum will be missing his familiar banter... on we go!
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby jakethefarmer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:34 pm

Allen Brown, "Old stove top" as his wife Nona called him. She said that, "he was was always blowing off steam". He was a wrestling man. Always wanted to talk and live wrestling. What a great man, a friend and the guru of wrestling reporting. I (we) just lost a great dear friend and I'm saddened. Jake the Farmer
jakethefarmer
Novice

Postby Husky1967 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:33 pm

My wife Linda and I are very deeply saddened to hear of the passing of our dear friend Allen Brown. We wish to extend our deepest condolences to his family and loved ones. EWL and PSAC wrestling and the sport in general have lost one of their greatest apostles and advocates. It is with a heavy heart that I search for the appropriate words to even approach expressing adequately the enormity of the loss which the sport of wrestling has suffered as a result of Allen's passing. It is probably better that I don't attempt to do so, as my words could never measure up to Allen's deeds and efforts on behalf of wrestling. Allen's work and accomplishments over the years always spoke for itself. Let me say that it was indeed a privilege and an honor to have known Allen Brown and to be allowed to count him as a friend who always brought a wave of fresh air, joy, and happiness into my/our lives. I wish you Godspeed, Allen.

PS: For Many years I was known as Blue Jay on the EWL message board.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby Bruce » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:31 pm

Bruce
Site Admin

Postby Eiwaman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:59 pm

I am just reading this and like many others I am at a loss for words. He was a special indeed.

RIP
Eiwaman
Novice

Postby KTG » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:16 pm

I hope Allen's family can appreciate how much he meant to other
folks. Those that knew him in 'real life' and
those that knew him only from his posts, through
discussing with him on forums, or through email: he had
a significant impact and will not be forgotten.
I loved talking Eastern wrestling and Virginia schools
and kids and all things wrestling with
Mr. Brown.
KTG
Veteran

Postby GP » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:32 pm

Following the loss of Boomer Jay Hammond the wrestling community now mourns the passing of another icon, Stovepipe Allen Brown.
Our community grieves while giving thanks for the enjoyment and service to wrestling that they both provided over many years.
RIP Allen and sincere condolences to the Brown Family.

Garry Paul
GP
Expert

Postby jpl » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:55 pm

What sad news. This guy really loved wrestling, and it was that common bond that he shared with all of us that made our discussions so enjoyable. Man, I'm going to miss him. Prayers to you Allen, and your family.
jpl
Novice

Postby seawolf » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:39 pm

So very sorry. I never did meet Allen. His depth of knowledge and ability to recall so many wrestling stories about the all time greats was always fund for me to read. He brought a level of depth and history to the sport that I always appreciated. My sincere condolences to his family. Thanks for sharing him with the wrestling community.
seawolf
Expert

Postby ORC » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:56 pm

Like many of you, I was introduced to Allen through this forum. About 7 or 8 years ago, I introduced myself to him at a college dual meet. I hadn't directly communicated with Allen and had no idea what to expect. Upon introducing myself to him, I shared with him how much I appreciated his passion and knowledge and his immeasurable contribution to our sport. He asked me my name and immediately said something to the effect of "I want to thank you for your contribution to wrestling." I must have looked at him quizzically because he quipped that he knew I was a youth wrestling coach and what team I coached. This man's love of the sport transcended every level (youth, high school, college and international). I had the privilege of talking wrestling with him many times since that first meeting and came to know Allen as a sweet man that had an ornery side, especially when he felt an injustice occurred. This one hurts a lot.
ORC
"Newbie"

Postby Ivan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:14 pm

I'd known Allen for about 16 years. I remember our trips up into PA to watch Mat Town, and duals at Lock Haven, and Bloomsburg. Of course I'd see him at UMD and Navy events as well. Always enjoyed his willingness to talk everthing wrestling at any time. He loved it so much. My heart is heavy with his passing. I will miss you my friend.
Last edited by Ivan on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan
Expert

Postby waynesburgalum » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:01 pm

R.I.P.
waynesburgalum
Veteran

Postby mattown-maniac » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:32 pm

I, too, was shocked when I learned of Allen's passing while I was at work Friday via my cellphone. It creates a real void because it seems like he was always not far from this message board and if you left a comment or a score he would typically respond almost immediately to acknowledge your comment or give his 2 cents on the topic. I never met him in person but conversed with him many times with posts or private messages to talk about wrestling. We also had Lock Haven in common. Having grown up there myself and he having lived there many years gave us more of a personal connection. Even though he was older than me he knew my family and family business. He always seemed to see a lighter side to everything and had a great sense of humor. I think my favorite Allen-ism and I'm paraphrasing - 'I don't care what they call me but just don't call me late for dinner.'
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby EngineerLehigh » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:23 pm

As with all, very disappointed to find this news as I check into the wrestling world after a busy week. A true character of this beloved sport of ours. My favorite stores of Stovie were not even about wrestling, but of dirt track motor car racing of the 1950s and 1960s and general back country humor from up in the hills north of Lock Haven.

All I can say is that I hope a new face of wrestling passion emerges with the humor and all encompassing interest in the sport that he had. For him, a kid of the 1950s and 1960s, it was being sucked into the sports in booming era of Lock Haven and the pride of seeing small schools like Bloomsburg, Lock Haven and Clarion have success and young guys from Pennsylvania emerge from the sport throughout the years. Despite becoming a full blown MARYLANDER, he was all genuine Central Pennsylvanian small town at heart.

Like many, I never met him personally, but had plenty of great interactions in private exchanges as well as the board. He always appreciated the COACHES as much as the wrestlers. He indeed was encyclopedic of wrestling especially of the 1950s. Indeed, along with Jay Hammond, it is a loss to have these historians of the sport move on to the eternal.

God bless him and peace to his family.
EngineerLehigh
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to OPEN COLLEGE