WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Allen Brown

Moderator: GAH

Re: Allen Brown

Postby GAH » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:29 pm

Rest in peace my friend. I will miss our daily email exchanges during the wrestling season and our dual meet trips. Thinking of his family during this difficult time.
GAH

Postby Jason Bryant » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Met him very early in my career. Was a freshman at ODU and I'd started the first iteration of Mat Talk Online. At the ODU Fieldhouse, he introduced himself because he'd always come down because he was such a huge fan of Gray Simons.

As the years went on, we'd trade e-mails, chat at tournaments and get into the occasional argument. Last time I saw Allen was at the EWL's at Bloom a few years ago. In an era where there's so much automation, I believe Allen combing through all those e-mails and releases really helped him retain so much, even if he couldn't be somewhere.

I liked his back and forth with the LU faithful and the <insert school here> faithful, but Allen loved this sport and he was always complimentary of my work even when it was still on the level of a college freshman (some might argue it still is). Allen was the very first person from the wrestling boards nationally I met.

Allen was a friend and while we wouldn't always agree on everything, Allen was a great resource for a lot of "new" people who were getting into the sport beyond their comfort zone. He told me many stories from LHSC in the Gray Simons era. I hold Gray in high regard, but I don't think I could even come close to the level Allen held him.

Allen will be missed my many. May the gods (little g) of wrestling shine down on him matside as he can watch the greats do battle on the horsehair mats in the sky.
Jason Bryant
Veteran

Postby GAH » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:45 pm

Allen used to keep wrestler's individual results on little index cards in his office, aka his wrestling room. His knowledge was amazing and I could talk to him for hours on end.
GAH

Postby weh » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:48 pm

I am personally crushed by our loss. Allen loved all wrestlers, but was a straight shooter who did not hesitate to say things as he saw them. I feel like I have lost a brother with whom I could always exchange wrestling stories, opinions and news. Like so many others, I am so glad to have known him and treasure my time and conversations with Allen. RIP
weh
Expert

Postby Legger » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:50 pm

I just got home and saw the news. I am so very sorry to hear this. Allen (Stove Pipe) was extremely knowledgeable and totally devoted to college wrestling. RIP Allen, wrestling has lost a life long devoted college wrestling lover. My sympathy to Allen's family.
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert

Postby scribe » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Jason Bryant wrote:I liked his back and forth with the LU faithful and the <insert school here> faithful.

Allen was a master antagonizer. No one was exempt from his barbs, from time to time. Let's be honest. Lehighers are very plentiful (to their credit) and are easy to get a rise out of. Allen knew the hard banter kept more coming back than it drove away. And well, he was usually right about whatever side of the argument he took.
scribe
Expert

Postby accwatcher » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:42 pm

RIP Allen, just a wrestling lifer that had a ton to offer.
accwatcher
Novice

Postby MadHatter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:53 pm

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with his family through this difficult time. I didn't get a chance to know Allen very well, but he seemed like a very decent person. Rest in peace.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby nittanykid » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:13 am

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Allen in person, we've exchanged plenty of emails and posts over the past several years, and I always thought of him as a friend. My thoughts are with his friends and family during this difficult time. :(
nittanykid
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:08 am

scribe wrote:
Jason Bryant wrote:I liked his back and forth with the LU faithful and the <insert school here> faithful.

Allen was a master antagonizer. No one was exempt from his barbs, from time to time. Let's be honest. Lehighers are very plentiful (to their credit) and are easy to get a rise out of. Allen knew the hard banter kept more coming back than it drove away. And well, he was usually right about whatever side of the argument he took.

Now that he passed, can we FINALLY remove his "sponsorship" tag from the Lehigh forum listing in the College Index?
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby CDK » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:11 am

Dear Allen Brown: You welcomed me personally to this board; we shared stories; and even icy roads from State College, PA, on stormy March nights; but we never met. I will miss you. God bless. -Kit Kuntze
CDK
Expert

Postby Nitt Fan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:07 am

mr_ftl wrote:
scribe wrote:

Now that he passed, can we FINALLY remove his "sponsorship" tag from the Lehigh forum listing in the College Index?

You are rude and very disrespectful. Shame on you!
Nitt Fan
Novice

Postby scribe » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:08 am

mr_ftl wrote:
scribe wrote:

It's there because he said he was out of pocket for the forum. Which was really the point.
scribe
Expert

Postby d1fan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:16 am

RIP Stove Pipe!!
d1fan
Expert

Postby huskycolonial » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:32 am

Allen did so much to advance the sport he loved. As a Bloomsburg alumni and wrestling fan, Allen's reporting brought a lot of joy into my life as well.

Thanks to the Brown family for sharing him with all of us.
huskycolonial
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to OPEN COLLEGE