WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net
 

World Cup FS 2017

Moderator: JM

World Cup FS 2017

Postby CJC » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:56 pm

It appears that diplomacy wins out and the World Cup will go on as scheduled in Iran!

Hopefully Russia sends their top level guys.
CJC
Expert
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby JM » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 am

The pools are set for the World Cup matches in Iran next week.
The USA is in the same pool as Russia, Azerbaijan and Georgia.
The other pool includes Iran, Turkey, India and Mongolia.
On Thursday Feb 16 the teams wrestle their three pool matches. On Friday Feb 17, the teams cross over to wrestle their counterpart place winner.
JM
Expert
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:40 am
Location: NJ

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby JM » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Russia has announced its entries for the WC. None of their top-ranked wrestlers are on the list. Among the missing are Lebedev, Musakaev, Chakaev, Ramonov, Bekbulatov, Kurbanaliev, Geduev, Sadulaev, Kuragliev, Gadisov, Khugaev, Kushkov.
Interesting.
JM
Expert
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:40 am
Location: NJ

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby CJC » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:38 am

JM wrote:Russia has announced its entries for the WC. None of their top-ranked wrestlers are on the list. Among the missing are Lebedev, Musakaev, Chakaev, Ramonov, Bekbulatov, Kurbanaliev, Geduev, Sadulaev, Kuragliev, Gadisov, Khugaev, Kushkov.
Interesting.



Russia rarely sends their top guys to the WC.
CJC
Expert
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby JM » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:12 pm

They seem to do pretty well without them.
By the way, I saw a USA team photo today taken at the airport in Iran and am sure that Nahshon Garrett was among those in the picture.
JM
Expert
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:40 am
Location: NJ

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby CJC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:15 pm

JM wrote:They seem to do pretty well without them.
By the way, I saw a USA team photo today taken at the airport in Iran and am sure that Nahshon Garrett was among those in the picture.



Cool!
CJC
Expert
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby CJC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Let's go USA Wrestling!
CJC
Expert
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby JM » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:17 am

The Open Mat has a pretty good preview of what to expect from the teams in the World Cup competition later this week (Thursday & Friday).
Iran looks like a prohibitive favorite to win their pool and advance to the finals.
The USA is in the tougher pool along with Russia, Georgia and Azerbaijan. Russia is not bringing their 'A' team so they are discounted somewhat. Azerbaijan is thought to be our stiffest competition to win the pool and to face Iran on Friday in the finals. We definitely have our 'A' team there. Will be interesting to see if Burroughs is back to his form prior to the Rio disaster.
Interesting to note that almost all USA team members are from states EAST of the Ohio/Indiana state line - Stieber, Molinaro, Green, Burroughs, Taylor, Snyder, Rey, Gwiz.
Also interesting that Deiringer is on the team backing up Burroughs rather than Dake, even though Kyle destroyed him in Paris International tournament a couple of weeks ago.
JM
Expert
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:40 am
Location: NJ

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby CJC » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:31 pm

JM wrote:The Open Mat has a pretty good preview of what to expect from the teams in the World Cup competition later this week (Thursday & Friday).
Iran looks like a prohibitive favorite to win their pool and advance to the finals.
The USA is in the tougher pool along with Russia, Georgia and Azerbaijan. Russia is not bringing their 'A' team so they are discounted somewhat. Azerbaijan is thought to be our stiffest competition to win the pool and to face Iran on Friday in the finals. We definitely have our 'A' team there. Will be interesting to see if Burroughs is back to his form prior to the Rio disaster.
Interesting to note that almost all USA team members are from states EAST of the Ohio/Indiana state line - Stieber, Molinaro, Green, Burroughs, Taylor, Snyder, Rey, Gwiz.
Also interesting that Deiringer is on the team backing up Burroughs rather than Dake, even though Kyle destroyed him in Paris International tournament a couple of weeks ago.



I don't think Dieringer made the trip to Iran fwiw.
CJC
Expert
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby JM » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:40 pm

See today's teamUSA.org article for just announced schedule change.
The USA will now wrestle Georgia on Thurs AM; Russia on Thurs. evening (local times) and Azerbaijan on Friday AM.
JM
Expert
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:40 am
Location: NJ

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby CJC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:15 am

Great opening round against Georgia 7-1.

Next up Russia!
CJC
Expert
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby CJC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:50 am

What a crowd!

8)
CJC
Expert
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby CJC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:58 am

Taylor annihilates the Russian!

Snyder's win propels US over Russia!

Stieber, Green, Burroughs, Taylor, Snyder, and Rey win.
CJC
Expert
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby JM » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Additional results from Day 1 -
Azerbaijan also goes 2-0 in Pool A, defeating Georgia 5-3, and Russia on criteria, 4-4.
In the other pool, host Iran shuts out both India and Mongolia, 8-0.
Some big matches coming up for USA on Friday.
JM
Expert
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:40 am
Location: NJ

Re: World Cup FS 2017

Postby JM » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:55 am

USA edges Azerbaijan 4-4 on criteria to gain finals against Iran later today. Stieber, Green, Burroughs and Taylor win their matches.
JM
Expert
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:40 am
Location: NJ

Next

Return to InternationalWrestling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest