WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

World Championships - 61g and 70 kg this weeked.

Moderator: JM

World Championships - 61g and 70 kg this weeked.

Postby JM » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:36 pm

In Budapest this weekend, Logan Stieber and James Green seek Men's Freestyle World Championship medals in the two non-Olympic weights. Here is a link to the preview of the weight classes.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Fe ... le-preview
JM
Expert

Re: World Championships - 61g and 70 kg this weeked.

Postby Red Blades » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:59 am

Also competing for Uruguay:

Uruguay - Dylan PALACIO PINTADO ! :o
Red Blades
Expert

Postby JM » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:22 pm

Link to the USAW preview of the two women's World Championship weight classes to be contested this weekend in Budapest -

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Fe ... ns-preview
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Greco-Roman preview link below. Doubtful that we will see an American on the podium.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Fe ... an-preview
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:43 pm

First three USA wrestlers get their draws for Saturday's action. See link below.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Fe ... ght-Worlds
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:01 am

Logan Stieber is a finalist at 61kg.

He faces Lomtadze in finals at 6pm local time.
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:17 am

[url]Stieber's finals match will be telecast at noon today. See below for details.

Here is the writeup of his two remarkable last-gasp victories in the quarters and the semis.

BUDAPEST, Hungary – He sure didn’t plan it that way, but Logan Stieber needed last-second takedowns in both the quarterfinals and the semifinals to earn his place in the gold-medal finals at 61 kg/134 lbs. at the Non-Olympic Weight Class World Championships on Saturday.

Stieber scored a last-second takedown in the semifinals to beat 2012 Junior World champion Behnam Ehsanpoor of Iran.

Stieber trailed 6-2 at the break, but got things going in the second period. A takedown and turn tied it at 6-6, but Ehsanpoor scored a late takedown to take an 8-6 lead into the closing seconds. Stieber got behind Ehsanpoor right before the whistle to tie it at 8-8, and he had criteria. The Iranians challenged the takedown which was denied and Stieber won 9-8.

He will face Beka Lomtadze of Georgia in the finals, after Lomtadze scored his own last second takedown on Akhmednabi Gvarzatilov of Azerbaijan, 12-11 in the other semfinals.

“It is just focus. I don’t really think. I am just out there trying to score. I have confidence in my sprint and my short time offense. I didn’t draw it up this way,” said Stieber.

Stieber’s quarterfinals win over three-time Yarygin Grand Prix medalist Akhmed Chakaev of Russia was also exciting and scary. The lead went back and forth throughout the bout. Stieber trailed 9-6 in the second period, but came back with a takedown and a turn to get a 10-9 lead. However, Chakaev counter a Stieber shot for exposure to take an 11-10 lead with nine seconds on the clock.

As time ran down, Stieber got behind Chakaev for a takedown with five seconds left for a 12-11 lead. The Russians challenged the takedown, but event officials could not call up the video for review. After several minutes with the Russian coaches complaining, the head referee called over both USA coach Bill Zadick and the head Russian coach. The challenge was denied, and Stieber was awarded another point, for a 13-11 final.

“Maybe they relaxed, but it was also me wearing and wearing on them. I have been close a lot, and I just happened to score with one second left,” Stieber said of his buzzer-beating heroics.

In his first match, Stieber quickly rolled up 2015 World bronze medalist Vasyl Shuptar with a 10-0 technical fall. Stieber scored a takedown and three turns for an 8-0 lead, then added one more takedown to close out the victory in the first period.

“The kid has an amazing heart. He has been a winner his whole life. He has been an elite performer and he just showed you why. Really close matches, great competitors, three World-medalist caliber athletes. I am really excited for him so far. One more to go. We are focused on that match,” said National Freestyle Coach Bill Zadick.

After going 1-1 at 71 kg/156 lbs. in his first World Championships, Christopher Gonzalez (Bolingbrook, Ill./U.S. Army WCAP) was not eligible for the repechage rounds.

Gonzalez got off to a strong start with an 8-0 technical fall over Filip Dubsky of the Czech Republic. Gonzalez led 1-0 at the break after a point from Dubsky’s passivity, but opened it up in the second with a pair of takedowns and a gut wrench turn for the eight point margin.

In his second match, Gonzalez was edged in a 2-2 criteria decision against Ilie Cojocari of Romania. Gonzalez led at the break with a pushout and a point from a passivity call. In the second period, Gonzalez was hit for a passivity call for the lead to shrink to 2-1, and then was pushed out by Cojocari to tie it at 2-2. Gonzalez could not score late and lost because Cojocari scored last.

Cojocari won his quarterfinal bout, but was beaten in the semifinals by Hungary’s Balint Korpasi, which meant that Gonzalez was not drawn back into repechage.

“There are a lot of lessons to be learned here. My first international experience, I had an all right tournament. I am not proud of my performance overall. 1-1 is never OK. As an American, I expect to get a medal. That was the plan here. I came up short of that. I had a real close match in my second match with the Romanian. The kid was tough. He pummeled really well. I was up 2-0 and had a good lead. I gave up a pushout late in the match and that was the difference. When you are trying to chase that medal, you can’t give up late points,” said Gonzalez.

Eliminated after losing both of her matches was Sarah Hildebrandt (Colorado Springs, Colo./New York AC) at 55 kg/121 lbs. in her first Senior World Championships.

Hildebrandt drew 2016 Junior World champion Mayu Mukaida of Japan in the first round. Mukaida led 5-0 after the first period on two takedowns and a stepout. In the second period, Hildebrandt scored a takedown midway to make it 7-2, but Mukaida closed it down with a takedown and turns for a 13-2 technical fall.

Hildebrandt was pulled back into repechage when Mukaida made the finals. She faced local hero Ramona Galambos of Hungary, and jumped to a 4-0 lead on a nice four-point takedown. Galambos closed it to 4-2 at the break. In the second period, Hildebrandt surrendered a point on the shot clock, but still led 4-3. A takedown by Galambos with 38 seconds left put Galambos up 5-4. With Hildebrandt trying to shoot, Galambos spun behind for a last second takedown and the 7-4 victory.

“I started out with the Japanese girl who reached the finals. I knew it was going to be a tough match. I am not necessarily super disappointed in how I wrestling in that match. I saw the changes I needed to make, and I was pretty positive going into my wrestleback. I just didn’t get the job done. I think I really put these girls on a pedestal. I have just recently gotten very confident domestically, and my next step is to know I belong internationally,” said Hildebrandt.

The Greco-Roman bronze pairings will be updated when matches set. All other medal match pairings are below.

The finals are set for 6:00 p.m. in Budapest, which is six hours ahead of U.S. Eastern time. Stieber is in the sixth match. The finals will be on one mat, with the three women’s freestyle going first, then the three men’s freestyle, with the Greco-Roman three bouts last.

United World Wrestling is doing a live webcast and results page 

2016 NON-OLYMPIC WEIGHT CLASS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
At Budapest, Hungary

U.S. World Team results for Saturday

Women’s freestyle
55 kg/121 lbs. – Sarah Hildebrandt (Colorado Springs, Colo./New York AC)
LOSS Mayu Mukaida (Japan), tech. fall 13-2
LOSS Ramona Galambos (Hungary), 7-4

Men’s freestyle
61 kg/134 lbs. - Logan Stieber (Columbus, Ohio/Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
WIN Vasyl Shuptar (Ukraine), tech. fall 10-0
WIN Akhmed Chakaev (Russia), 13-11
WIN Behnam Ehsanpoor (Iran), 9-8
Gold-Medal Finals – Vs. Beka Lomtadze (Georgia)

Greco-Roman
71 kg/156 lbs. – Christopher Gonzalez, Bolingbrook, Ill. (U.S. Army WCAP)
WIN Filip Dubsky (Czech Republic), tech. fall 8-0
LOSS Ilie Cojocari (Romania), 2-2

Medal Match Finals

Women’s freestyle at 55 kg/121 lbs.
Gold – Mayu Mukaida (Japan) vs. Irina Olgonova (Russia)
Bronze – Otgontsetseg Davaasukh (Mongolia) vs. Katsiaryna Hanchar Yanushkevich (Belarus)
Bronze – Ramona Galambos (Hungary) vs. Aiym Abdildina (Kazakhstan)

Men’s freestyle at 61 kg/134 lbs.
Gold – Logan Stieber (USA) vs. Beka Lomtadze (Georgia)
Bronze – Akhmednabi Gvarzatilov (Azerbaijan) vs. Iurii Siemakin (France)
Bronze – Akhmed Chakaev (Russia) vs. Behnam Ehsanpoor (Iran)

Greco-Roman at 71 kg/156 lbs.
Gold – Daniel Cataraga (Moldova) vs. Balint Korpasi (Hungary)
Bronze – Ilie Cojocari (Romania) vs. Aleksandar Maksimovic (Serbia)
Bronze – Hasan Aliyev (Azerbaijan) vs. Adam Kurak (Russia)
[/url]
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Stieber wins the gold medal at 61kg. !!
JM
Expert

Postby CJC » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:47 pm

JM wrote:Stieber wins the gold medal at 61kg. !!

What a phenomenal tournament!
CJC
Expert

Postby D3 for LU » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Here's the link to USA WRESTLING/The Mat.com article:
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2016/December/10/Logan-Stieber-wins-World-title-with-victory-in-Budapest-Hungary

I still don't like how IOC took away several wt.classes leaving large gaps at certain points.
Lot of good wrestlers, caught in between classes, either have to hit the weights (not always viable, depending on the wrestlers frame) or suck some serious wt. (of which could be dicey for an wrestler who has a larger frame for that wt.)
Glad to see LS win it in exciting fashion.
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby JM » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:01 am

[b][b][b]Alli Regan in finals; James Green bows out[/b][/b][/b]

BUDAPEST, Hungary – Alli Ragan (Colorado Springs, Colo./Sunkist Kids) has qualified for the gold-medal match at 60 kg/132 lbs. in women’s freestyle at the World Championships on Sunday

She got stronger as she went throughout the tournament with four straight wins, and earned her finals berth with an impressive 14-4 technical fall in the semifinals against Ayaulym Kassymova of Kazakhstan.

Ragan opened with a takedown and turn for a quick 4-0 lead, then added two more takedowns to get an 8-0 lead. After a challenge, Kassymova received four points for an exchange on the edge of the mat, closing it to 8-4. From there, Ragan took over, getting a takedown for two and another four-point move to close out the technical fall in the second period.

She will battle 18-year-old Xingru Pei of China in the gold-medal finals. Pei was third in the 2016 Junior World Championships, and won a 2016 Asian Junior Championships title. She was also second in the 2014 Youth Olympic Games.

“I am trying to stay on the offense as much as possible, and not letting them slow me down and tie me up and getting in really heavy hand fighting. I am creating my motion, wrestling my match and it is definitely a key. I am wrestling them one match at a time.”

She opened with a solid 8-4 win over Sarita of India. Jumping to a 3-0 lead, Sarita scored a four-pointer on a scramble and Ragan led 5-4 at the break. She controlled the second period with a step out and a spin-behind takedown for the margin of victory.

In her second match, Ragan trailed 3-2 at the break against Canadian Linda Morais, but came back with two second-period takedowns for a 6-3 victory. In the quarterfinals, she scored a pair of second period takedowns to shut out Laura Mertens of Germany, 5-0

Ragan was fifth in 2014 World Championships, and is competing in her fourth Senior World event.

“I am wrestling through every position, wrestling for the full six minutes, not staying one-dimensional. I am opening up and having fun out there. Just have fun. When you put so much pressure on yourself, it’s not very fun,” she said.

2015 World bronze medalist James Green (Lincoln, Neb./Titan Mercury WC/Nebraska WTC) was beaten in the quarterfinals at 70 kg/154 lbs. and will not be able to wrestle back for a medal.

Green was defeated by veteran star Rashid Kurbanov of Uzbekistan in a 3-3 criteria match. Green got behind 3-0 in the first period, on a spin behind takedown for Kurbanov and a shot clock violation late in the period. In the second, Green came back with a takedown and a stepout to tie it at 3-3. Kurbanov won the criteria since Green was hit with a caution on the shot clock penalty.

Green opened with a dominant 12-1 technical fall over Gitnomagomedov Gadzhiyev of Azerbaijan, leading 6-0 at the break and scoring both takedowns and turns on the opponent.

The second round featured a close match with Davit Tlashadze of Georgia, which ended with a 4-1 win. Green scored on a pushout and a takedown, while Tlashadze got a point on the shot clock for a 3-1 score. In the closing seconds, Tlashadze got behind Green and time ran out as he brought Green towards the mat. The Georgians challenged the call, and the video did not show that he had scored on time, giving Green an additional point.

Green was a four-time All-American at Nebraska, has won a number of international medals at this weight class including a gold medal at the 2016 World Cup. This was his second World Championships appearance.

“I wrestled good. The match I lost, just a little mental lapse in the first period. I did what I should have been doing the whole match in the second period. It is not the way I want to wrestle. 3-3 and I was down on criteria. I needed to get an extra point, and I shouldn’t have been on the shot clock. Just little things I have to get better at, but overall, leaving empty handed, I am disappointed,” said Green.

Patrick Martinez (Colorado Springs, Colo./U.S. Army WCAP) was beaten in the first round and eliminated at 80 kg/176 lbs. in Greco-Roman.

He dropped his first match by technical fall against Ashkat Dilmukhamedov of Kazakhstan, 8-0. After a takedown, Dilmukhamedov was able to turn Martinez three times, the first two on a high gut wrench and the third on a low gut wrench. Dilmukhamedov was fifth in the World on two occasions.

When Dilmukhamedov was defeated in the quarterfinals, Martinez was not eligible for the repechage.

Martinez competed in his second Senior Worlds, after also wrestling in the 2015 World Championships in Las Vegas.

“He didn’t have a good tournament. He had one match, got taken down and got turned. We have got to go out there and score. We have to attack. We can’t wait and hope we are going to get a passivity, and we got taken down on top of that. Patrick is better than that, a much better wrestler than that. I know we wrestled that guy in 2015 at the Worlds and I know he is capable of winning that match. He just didn’t do it,” said National Greco-Roman Coach Matt Lindland.

The finals are set for 6:00 p.m. in Budapest, which is six hours ahead of U.S. Eastern time.

United World Wrestling will be doing a live webcast and results page at:
http://bit.ly/2giIhQB

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
At Budapest, Hungary, Dec. 11

U.S. performances on Sunday

Women’s freestyle
60 kg/132 lbs. - Alli Ragan, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Sunkist Kids)
WIN Sarita (India), 8-4
WIN Linda Morais (Canada), 6-3
WIN Laura Mertens (Germany), 5-0
WIN Ayaulym Kassymova (Kazakhstan), tech. fall 14-4
Gold Medal Finals – Vs. Xingru Pei (China)

Men’s freestyle
70 kg/154 lbs. – James Green (Lincoln, Neb. (Titan Mercury WC/Nebraska WTC)
WIN Gitnomagomedov Gadzhiyev (Azerbaijan), tech. fall 12-1
WIN Davit Tlashadze (Georgia), 4-1
LOSS Rashid Kurbanov (Uzbekistan), 3-3

Greco-Roman
80 kg/176 lbs. - Patrick Martinez, Colorado Springs, Colo. (U.S. Army WCAP)
LOSS Ashkat Dilmukhamedov (Kazakhstan), tech. fall 8-0, 1:16

Medal matches

Women’s freestyle 60 kg/132 lbs.
Gold - Xingru Pei (China) vs. Alli Ragan (USA)
Bronze - Linda Morais (Canada) vs. Ayaulym Kassymova (Kazakhstan)
Bronze - Emese Barka (Hungary) vs. Yui Sakano (Japan)

Men’s freestyle 70 kg/154 lbs.
Gold - Nurlan Bekzahanov (Kazakshtan) vs. Magomed Kurbanaliev (Russia)
Bronze - Mostafa Hosseinkhani (Iran) vs. Rashid Kurbanov (Uzbekistan)
Bronze - Nobuyoshi Takojima (Japan) vs. Nobuyoshi Takojima (Japan)

Greco-Roman 80 kg/176 lbs.
Gold - Ramazan Abacharev (Russia) vs. Aslan Atem (Turkey)
Bronze - Askhat Dilmukhamedov (Kazakhstan) vs. Laszlo Szabo (Hungary)
Bronze - Nikoloz Kelasov (Georgia) vs. Jonibek Otabekov (Uzbekistan)
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:22 pm

A silver medal in the World Championships for Alli Regan - congratulations !

BUDAPEST, Hungary – Alli Ragan (Colorado Springs, Colo./New York AC) won a silver medal at 60 kg/132 lbs. on the final day of the World Championships on Sunday.

She dropped a frustrating 6-0 finals match to 18-year-old Xingru Pei of China, a match in which Ragan was not able to complete her offensive attacks, while Pei was able to score points with counters and defense.

Pei scored on a counter takedown and a stepout to lead 3-0 at the break. An early Ragan shot was countered to a stalemate, and set the tone for the match. The second period featured another stepout and a counter takedown for Pei, for the six-point margin of victory. Ragan was trying to open up the offense, but Pei had the answer to each attempt.

Ragan talked about what she is taking away from the finals match and her effort at this year’s Worlds

“Staying with my offense, finishing low singles and really capitalizing off of those shots. Definitely getting to my offense earlier and controlling those ties like I know how to control them. Wrestling more of my match would have been necessary to win that match. There was no reaction there from her, so I think I need to create reactions more,” Ragan said.

Ragan, competing in her fourth World Championships, came home with her first World medal. Her previous best finish was fifth place at the 2014 World Championships in Uzbekistan.

Pei is a rising star after placing third in the 2016 Junior World Championships, and won a 2016 Asian Junior Championships title. She was also second in the 2014 Youth Olympic Games.

Ragan went out onto the mat for introductions with her father Dennis Ragan as the coach, and they were on the center mat for the formal handshakes side-by-side. Dennis has coached his daughter throughout her career and has been in her corner with National Coach Terry Steiner all day.

“He has been my coach since I was five. After going to King, coach Moorman let him coach me at all the Opens and the Senior-level stuff. But this is the first time he was able to coach me internationally at a Worlds. I think that is super important. It was awesome to have him there,” she said.

Ragan won four matches in the preliminary session to reach her first Worlds finals.

She powered through the bracket, opening with an 8-4 win over Sarita of India, then a 6-3 win over Linda Morais of Canada. In the quarterfinals, she shut out Laura Mertens of Germany and closed out the run with a dominant 14-4 technical fall in the semifinals over Ayaulym Kassymova of Kazakhstan.

“She had a good tournament. We are all disappointed because she didn’t finish it off like we wanted to. This is Alli’s fourth World Team. She needed to see some results and some success here. Coming away with a silver medal is not the medal we wanted but it definitely beats leaving here empty handed. We have work to do. In this finals match, we couldn’t move the girl. She wasn’t reacting to Alli’s fakes. We need to create more pressure and create some reaction. We were in on two single legs and didn't’finish them. If you get in deep, you have to finish them. It changes the match completely,” said National Coach Terry Steiner.

The United States won two medals over the two-day event which featured two weight classes in each style. In addition to Ragan’s silver, men’s freestyle star Logan Stieber (Columbus, Ohio/Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC) won a gold medal at 61 kg/134 lbs. on Saturday.

The two other U.S. athletes who entered on Sunday were unable to advance to the medal rounds. 2015 World bronze medalist James Green was beaten in the quarterfinals at 70 kg/154 lbs. and did not qualify for repechage, finishing seventh in the final standings. He lost to veteran star Rashid Kurbanov of Uzbekistan in a 3-3 criteria match. He won his first two matches, Gitnomagomedov Gadzhiyev of Azerbaijan by technical fall, 12-1, and Davit Tlashadze of Georgia, 4-1.
JM
Expert

Return to InternationalWrestling