WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

UWW Cadet Championships start Sept 13

Moderator: JM

UWW Cadet Championships start Sept 13

Postby JM » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:54 pm

This international tournament for rising stars aged 15-17 is held annually. As with the Seniors and Juniors world-wide, competition will be held in Greco, girls Freestyle and boys freestyle. The event is taking place in the legendary wrestling city of Tbilisi, Georgia

Greco is up first. Keep your eye on Jack Davis, a student/athlete at Wyoming Seminary during the school year, who will be wrestling in Greco at 58kg for the USA.

From the USAWrestling website -

Johnson, Woods, Davis, Omania, Schultz receive Greco-Roman draws for Cadet Worlds

By Richard Immel, USA Wrestling | Sept. 12, 2016, 1:06 p.m. (ET)

TBILISI, Georgia – The first five U.S. wrestlers competing at the 2016 Cadet World Championships have weighed in and received their draws for the opening day of Greco-Roman competition at New Sports Palace in Tbilisi, Georgia. Taking the mat on Tuesday for the American squad are Malik Johnson (Florissant, Mo.), Real Woods (Wheaton, Ill.), Jack Davis (Hanover Township, Pa.), Peyton Omania (Concord, Calif.) and Cohlton Schultz (Colorado Springs, Colo.).

“Our guys, you know, we’re always in good shape. We’re going to fight every match hard. Just to go out there and feel good. Go out there and control the pace, stay in their face, and be aggressive,” said U.S. coach Shawn Sheldon after weigh-ins.

Johnson, a 2015 USAW Cadet Greco-Roman Nationals champion, will open the day at 50 kg/110 lbs. against Abdullah Toprak of Turkey.

Woods is set to face two-time Cadet Asian medalist Zholaman Sharshenbekov of Kyrgyzstan in the first round at 54 kg/119 lbs. Woods won the USAW Preseason Nationals last year.

USAW Cadet Greco-Roman Nationals All-American Davis will face the winner of Anton Rosen of Sweden and Tatto Oshiro of Japan in his first bout at 58 kg127.75 lbs.

Omania, a USAW Cadet Greco-Roman Nationals runner-up in 2015, begins his Cadet Worlds journey at 63 kg/138.75 lbs. against 2016 Cadet Asian bronze medalist Saurabh Saurabh of India.

Heavyweight Cohlton Schultz opens his tournament against Japan’s Yuri Nakazato. Schultz has won the USAW Cadet Nationals in both Greco-Roman and Freestyle. He placed fifth at the 2016 Austria Junior Greco-Roman Open.

Flowrestling will provide a live stream and archived matches of the 2016 Cadet World Championships to U.S. spectators at Flowrestling.org. A Flo Pro membership is required to view the competition.

Complete brackets and match-by-match results can be viewed at unitedworldwrestling.org.

2016 CADET WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Sept. 13-18 at Tbilisi, Georgia

U.S. Greco-Roman draws for Tuesday
50 kg/110 lbs. - Malik Johnson, Florissant, Mo.
Vs. Abdullah Toprak (Turkey),

54 kg/119 lbs. - Real Woods, Wheaton, Ill.
Vs. Zholaman Sharshenbekov (Kyrgyzstan), 2016 Cadet Asian bronze medalist, 2015 Cadet Asian champion

58 kg/127.75 lbs. - Jack Davis, Hanover Township, Pa.
Vs. Anton Rosen (Sweden), 2016 Nordic champion or Tatto Oshiro (Japan)

63 kg/138.75 lbs. - Peyton Omania, Concord, Calif.
Vs. Saurabh Saurabh (India), 2016 Cadet Asian bronze medalist

100 kg/220 lbs. - Cohlton Schultz, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Vs. Yuri Nakazato (Japan)
JM
Expert

Re: UWW Cadet Championships start Sept 13

Postby JM » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Not much good news to report from Day 1 in Greco. The kid from Wyoming Seminary, Jack Davis, was the only American to advance to a medal round but he ends up 5th. Results at-

http://news.theopenmat.com/internationa ... ay-1/59355
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Day 2 is no better for USA. Greco is not our thing, obviously. We go 1-6 on the day. May the freestylers do better!

U.S. Greco-Roman team shut out of medal round on second day of Cadet Worlds

By Richard Immel, USA Wrestling | Sept. 14, 2016, 7:35 a.m. (ET)

TBILISI, Georgia – The Greco-Roman portion of the 2016 Cadet World Championships has concluded for the U.S. contingent with no American advancing to a medal match on Wednesday at New Sports Palace in Tbilisi, Georgia.

It was a shaky start for the U.S. as four of the five wrestlers in action today lost their opening match. The only American to win a match was 76 kg/167.2 lbs. competitor Clay Lautt of Kansas.

Lautt brutalized Bulgaria’s Cadet European bronze medalist with several front headlock maneuvers to win, 8-2. The tables turned for Lautt in the quarterfinals when he was downed by Ali Hunc of Turkey, 7-1. Hunc was defeated in the 76 kg semifinals, eliminating Lautt from a repechage match.

“I didn’t really know what to expect coming into international styles too much. Right when I got to my, what I wanted to get to, [Hunc] caught me. After that it’s kind of hard to come back with these dudes,” said Lautt.

Of the five Americans wrestling today, Andrew Chambal was the only one to find a spot in the repechage rounds.

Chambal fell early to Cadet European champion Vladislav Kuzko of Ukraine, 2-0. After Kuzko made the 42 kg/92.5 lbs. finals Chambal was pulled into the repechage where he was topped by Hayk Asatryan of Armenia, 1-0.

“The wrestling is so physical,” Chambal said at the end of his tournament. “I was just excited to come. I wanted to wrestle, but if I could do it again I’d be less cautious and just really hit my moves, attack. It was a great experience and I’d do it again.”

2015 USA Wrestling Triple Crown winner Mosha Schwartz suffered defeat at the hands of Armenia’s Ashot Mkhitaryan in the first round at 46 kg/104.4 lbs., 8-0. Mkhitaryan was a fifth place finisher at the Cadet European Championships the past two years.

At 69 kg/152 lbs., Yasin Turan of Turkey earned the win over promising U.S. prospect Max Wohlabaugh, 5-0. Wohlabaugh placed second at the USAW Junior Nationals in both freestyle and Greco-Roman this summer.

Three-time Fargo All-American Brandon Whitman fell to Hakob Baghdasaryan of Armenia, 6-0, in his only match at 76 kg/167.2 lbs.

“The guys fought hard, but they’re just inexperienced, and they don’t believe in their moves” U.S. coach Shawn Sheldon noted at day’s end. “This is a big tournament, the World Championships, so I think with a little more experience it would have been a different outcome.”

Wrestlers securing gold medals on the final day of Greco-Roman action were Omid Arami of Iran at 42 kg, Fail Iskandarov of Azerbaijan at 46 kg, Akzhol Makhmudov of Kyrgyzstan at 69 kg, Aleksandr Komarov of Russia at 76 kg and Alex Szoke of Hungary at 85 kg.

The U.S. finished without a Greco-Roman medalist at the Cadet World Championships for the third-straight year. Jack Davis turned in the highest American finish, coming in fifth place at 58 kg/127 lbs. on Tuesday.

The Cadet World Championships will continue for the U.S. tomorrow with the first day of women’s freestyle competition. Qualification and repechage rounds are set to begin at 2 a.m. (ET) followed by the medal matches at 10 a.m. (ET).

Flowrestling will provide a live stream and archived matches of the 2016 Cadet World Championships to U.S. spectators at Flowrestling.org. A Flo Pro membership is required to view the competition.

Complete brackets and match-by-match results can be viewed at unitedworldwrestling.org.

Final Results
42 kg/92.5 lbs.
Gold – Omid Arami (Iran)
Silver – Vladyslav Kuzko (Ukraine)
Bronze – Zaur Aliyev (Azerbaijan)
Bronze – Ikhtiyor Botirov (Uzbekistan)
5th – Hayk Asatryan (Armenia)
5th – Adem Uzun (Turkey)
7th – Yerkebulan Ardakov (Kazakhstan)
8th – Rohan Bhosale (India)
9th – Manuel Stocia (Romania)
10th – Giorgi Chkhikvadze (Georgia)

Gold – Omid Arami (Iran) dec. Vladyslav Kuzko (Ukraine), 2-1
Bronze – Zaur Aliyev (Azerbaijan) dec. Hayk Asatryan (Armenia), 8-6
Bronze – Ikhtiyor Botirov (Uzbekistan) dec. Adem Uzun (Turkey), 3-1

46 kg/104.4 lbs.
Gold – Fail Iskandarov (Azerbaijan)
Silver – Elbek Ergashev (Uzbekistan)
Bronze – Vladimir Zabeyvorota (Russia)
Bronze – Nestor Delgado Ramirez (Mexico)
5th – Kadir Kamal (Turkey)
5th – Mohammad Mehrabi (Iran)
7th – Ashot Mkhitaryan (Armenia)
8th – Luka Ochigava (Georgia)
9th – Khalis Razhabov (Kazakhstan)
10th – Yu Shiotani (Japan)

Gold – Fail Iskandarov (Azerbaijan) fall Elbek Ergashev (Uzbekistan), 3:11
Bronze –Vladimir Zabeyvorota (Russia) dec. Kadir Kamal (Turkey), 4-1
Bronze – Nestor Delgado Ramirez (Mexico) tech. fall Mohammad Mehrabi (Iran), 9-0

69 kg/152 lbs.
Gold – Akzhol Makhmudov (Kyrgyzstan)
Silver – Ulvu Ganizade (Azerbaijan)
Bronze – Yasin Turan (Turkey)
Bronze – Malkhas Amoyan (Armenia)
5th – Mohammadreza Rostami (Iran)
5th – Artsiom Valaskovich (Belarus)
7th – Zahari (Bulgaria)
8th – Levan Gogua (Georgia)
9th – Tamas Levai (Hungary)
10th – Raoul Leitham (Estonia)

Gold – Akzhol Makhmudov (Kyrgyzstan) dec. Ulvu Ganizade (Azerbaijan), 5-3
Bronze – Yasin Turan (Turkey) dec. Mohammadreza Rostami (Iran), 7-1
Bronze – Malkhas Amoyan (Armenia) tech. fall Artsiom Valaskovich (Belarus), 8-0

76 kg/167.2 lbs.
Gold – Aleksandr Komarov (Russia)
Silver – Nasir Hasanov (Azerbaijan)
Bronze – Stanislav Rylskiy (Kazakhstan)
Bronze – Ali Hunc (Turkey)
5th – Maksim Bandarenka (Belarus)
5th – Hosein Forouzandeh Ghojehbeiglou (Iran)
7th – Istvan Takacs (Hungary)
8th – Dmytro Vasetskyi (Ukraine)
9th – Arturo Camacho Valenciano (Mexico)
10th – Filip Smetko (Croatia)

Gold – Aleksandr Komarov (Russia) dec. Nasir Hasanov (Azerbaijan), 3-0
Bronze – Stanislav Rylskiy (Kazakhstan) fall Maksim Bandarenka (Belarus), Fall 3:38
Bronze – Ali Hunc (Turkey) dec. Hosein Forouzandeh Ghojehbeiglou (Iran), 2-1

85 kg/185.4 lbs.
Gold – Alex Szoke (Hungary)
Silver – Markus Ragginger (Austria)
Bronze – Ihar Yarashevich (Belarus)
Bronze – Hakob Baghdasaryan (Armenia)
5th – Hasan Forouzandeh Ghojehbeiglou (Iran)
5th – Tehran Aminzade (Azerbaijan
7th – Ville Salo (Finland)
8th – Giorgi Katsanashvili (Georgia)
9th – Stanislav Pseunov (Russia)
10th – Zhantas Nurgali (Kazakhstan)

Gold – Alex Szoke (Hungary) dec. Markus Ragginger (Austria), 2-1
Bronze – Ihar Yarashevich (Belarus) dec. Hasan Forouzandeh Ghojehbeiglou (Iran), 2-1
Bronze – Hakob Baghdasaryan (Armenia) dec. Tehran Aminzade (Azerbaijan), 3-1

U.S. Greco-Roman Results
42 kg/92.5 lbs. - Andrew Chambal, Millington, Mich., 14th
LOSS Vladislav Kuzko (Ukraine), 2-0
LOSS Hayk Asatryan (Armenia), 1-0

46 kg/104.4 lbs. – Mosha Schwartz, Franktown, Colo., 15th
LOSS Ashot Mkhitaryan (Armenia), 8-0

69 kg/152 lbs. – Max Wohlabaugh, Winter Springs, Fla., 24th
LOSS Yasin Turan (Turkey), 5-0

76 kg/167.2 lbs. – Clay Lautt, Olathe, Kan., 11th
WIN Teodor Domozinov (Bulgaria), 8-2
LOSS Ali Hunc (Turkey), 7-1

85 kg/185.4 lbs. – Brandon Whitman, Dundee, Mich., 20th
LOSS Hakob Baghdasaryan (Armenia), 6-0
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:22 pm

The USA Cadet girls do a bit better - win two bronze medals on their first day of Freestyle competition.

U.S. women Kilty, Figueroa capture bronze at Cadet World Championships

By Richard Immel, USA Wrestling | Sept. 15, 2016, 2:44 p.m. (ET)

TBILISI, Georgia – Macey Kilty and Gracie Figueroa have announced themselves to the World.

Both Americans posted breakout performances at the 2016 Cadet World Championships held at New Sports Palace in Tbilisi, Georgia by scoring bronze medals in women’s freestyle competition on Thursday evening.

Kilty left no doubt in her 49 kg/108 lbs. bronze medal match against Cadet European silver medalist Zhala Aliyeva of Azerbaijan. From the first whistle Kilty was on the offensive, notching six takedowns and picking up a 13-2 technical fall win.

“It feels pretty good. It’s something I’ve been working for for a long time,” Kilty said after her bronze medal performance. “I’ve still got two more years to prove that I’m good enough to get the gold.”

Opposite Figueroa in the 56 kg/123.25 lbs. bronze medal match was Russia’s defending Cadet World bronze medalist Anastasia Sizenko. Similar to Kilty, Figueroa snatched a takedown early in the first period to set the tone for the remainder of the match. She went on the win by a deceptive 6-5 tally to give the U.S. its second medal of the day.

“I’m feeling really happy, and all my hard work pays off. I know it’s not exactly what I wanted, but it’s a stepping stone from last year. I didn’t place, but now I’ve placed, so I’m feeling great right now,” said Figueroa.

The Kilty-Figueroa duo both won bronze, but did so navigating two distinctly different paths. Kilty won her first three matches over world-class opponents before falling in the semifinals to now three-time Cadet World champion Yui Susaki of Japan. Conversely, Figueroa dropped her opener to eventual silver medalist Anastasia Nichita of Moldova before wrestling her way back to bronze.

“When you step on the world stage, you have to fight. No one is waiting to hand you a medal after four minutes,” said U.S. coach Emma Randall.

It has been a summer of emergence for Kilty who won her first USA Wrestling Cadet Freestyle Nationals title in Fargo, N.D. prior taking her place on the Cadet World medal stand tonight. The Wisconsin native has two years of UWW Cadet eligibility remaining.

“Macey is young, talented, and better yet driven. She is a perfectionist. I know she's already begun her process of breaking today down and how she's going to end next year with gold,” said Randall.

Figueroa was a well-known commodity in the U.S. prior to today. She has already won both the Cadet and Junior Freestyle Nationals two times, on top of making her second-consecutive Cadet World Team this year.

“Gracie was in quite a few close matches today,” Randall continued. “Part of being a champion is staying calm even when things aren't pretty. You've got to find a way to get your hand raised. Gracie dug deep and found a way.”

Also wrestling for a bronze medal in Tbilisi tonight was two-time Cadet World Team member Ashlynn Ortega. Unfortunately, Ortega could not complete the bronze medal sweep for the U.S. women as she fell in a 2-1 heartbreaker to Hungary’s Cadet European champion Tuende Elekes to finish in fifth place at 65 kg/143.25 lbs.

Earlier in the day, American Caitlyn Walker was defeated 9-0 by eventual champion Manisha Manisha of India prior to falling to Shahana Nazarova of Azerbaijan in the repechage, 13-7. Walker finished in 7th place overall at 38 kg/83.5 lbs.

The women’s freestyle competition at the Cadet World Championships resumes tomorrow with the qualification and repechage rounds at 2 a.m. (ET) followed by the medal matches at 10 a.m. (ET).

Wrestling tomorrow for the U.S. women are Erin Mance at 40 kg, Alleida Martinez at 46 kg, Ronna Heaton at 52 kg, Alara Boyd at 60 kg and Emily Cue at 70 kg.

Final Results
38 kg/83.5 lbs.
Gold – Manisha Manisha (India)
Silver – Petya Delcheva (Bulgaria)
Bronze – Valeriia Chistobaeva (Russia)
Bronze – Nada Mohamed (Egypt)
5th – Shahana Nazarova (Azerbaijan)
5th – Tatsiana Blinkouskaya (Belarus)
7th – Caitlyn Walker (United States)
8th – Ayazhan Markasheva (Kazakhstan)
9th – Anastasiia Padoshyk (Ukraine)
10th – Zehra Demirhan (Turkey)

Gold – Manisha Manisha (India) dec. Petya Delcheva (Bulgaria), 5-4
Bronze – Valeriia Chistobaeva (Russia) dec. Shahana Nazarova (Azerbaijan), 4-0
Bronze – Nada Mohamed (Egypt) dec. Tatsiana Blinkouskaya (Belarus), 5-4

43 kg/94.75 lbs.
Gold – Manami Ueno (Japan)
Silver – Daria Khvostova (Russia)
Bronze – Reem Ahmed (Egypt)
Bronze – Aynur Jamalova (Azerbaijan)
5th – Ankush Ankush (India)
5th – Anna Maria Torres Rubio (Spain)
7th – Taru Vainionpaeae (Finland)
8th – Alexia Seal (Canada)
9th – Stefania-Claudia Priceputu (Romania)
10th – Yesim Armut (Turkey)

Gold – Manami Ueno (Japan) tech. fall Daria Khvostova (Russia), 10-0
Bronze – Reem Ahmed (Egypt) dec. Ankush Ankush (India), 5-4
Bronze – Aynur Jamalova (Azerbaijan) dec. Anna Maria Torres Rubio (Spain), 4-2

49 kg/108 lbs.
Gold – Yui Susaki (Japan)
Silver – Mariia Tiumerekova (Russia)
Bronze – Macey Kilty (United States)
Bronze – Zeynep Yetgil (Turkey)
5th – Zhala Aliyeva (Azerbaijan)
5th – Emanuela Liuzzi (Italy)
7th – Minakshi Minakshi (India)
8th – Uldana Niyazbek (Kazakhstan)
9th – Szimonetta Szeker (Hungary)
10th – Yuliya Zhauneryk (Belarus)

Gold – Yui Susaki (Japan) tech. fall Mariia Tiumerekova (Russia), 10-0
Bronze – Macey Kilty (United States) tech. fall Zhala Aliyeva (Azerbaijan), 13-2
Bronze – Zeynep Yetgil (Turkey) dec. Emanuela Liuzzi (Italy), 6-2

56 kg/123.25 lbs.
Gold – Andoriahanako Sawa (Japan)
Silver – Anastasia Nichita (Moldova)
Bronze – Oksana Chudyk (Ukraine)
Bronze – Gracie Figueroa (United States)
5th – Krystsina Sazykina (Belarus)
5th – Anastasia Sizenko (Russia)
7th – Monica Nava Solis (Mexico)
8th – Alessia Cencioni (Italy)
9th – Anna Szel (Hungary)
10th – Angelika Mytkowska (Poland)

Gold – Andoriahanako Sawa (Japan) dec. Anastasia Nichita (Moldova), 6-2
Bronze – Oksana Chudyk (Ukraine) fall Krystsina Sazykina (Belarus), 2:42
Bronze – Gracie Figueroa (United States) dec. Anastasia Sizenko (Russia), 6-5

65 kg/143.25 lbs.
Gold – Khanum Velieva (Russia)
Silver – Miwa Morikawa (Japan)
Bronze – Meerim Zhumanazarova (Kyrgyzstan)
Bronze – Tuende Elekes (Hungary)
5th – Aukse Rutkauskaite (Lithuania)
5th – Ashlynn Ortega (United States)
7th – Anastasiya (Ukraine)
8th – Carin Alden (Sweden)
9th – Judit Varela Penas (Spain)
10th – Siyka Ivanova (Bulgaria)

Gold – Khanum Velieva (Russia) dec. Miwa Morikawa (Japan), 4-2
Bronze – Meerim Zhumanazarova (Kyrgyzstan) tech. fall Aukse Rutkauskaite (Lithuania), 10-0
Bronze – Tuende Elekes (Hungary) dec. Ashlynn Ortega (United States), 2-1

U.S. women’s freestyle results
38 kg/83.5 lbs. – Caitlyn Walker, Hartboro, Pa., 7th
LOSS Manisha Manisha (India), 9-0
LOSS Shahana Nazarova (Azerbaijan), 13-7

49 kg/108 lbs. – Macey Kilty, Stratford, Wisc., Bronze
WIN Aktenge Keunimjaeva (Uzbekistan), 8-6
WIN Szimonetta Szeker (Hungary), 9-4
WIN Minakshi Minakshi (India), Fall 3:19
LOSS Yui Susaki (Japan), Fall
WIN Zhala Aliyeva (Azerbaijan), 13-2

56 kg/123.25 lbs. – Gracie Figueroa, Selma, Calif., Bronze
LOSS Anastasia Nichita (Moldova), 12-0
WIN Anna Szel (Hungary), 7-6
WIN Anastasia Sizenko (Russia),

65 kg/143.25 lbs. – Ashlynn Ortega, Pueblo, Colo., 5th
LOSS Khanum Velieva (Russia), 10-0
WIN Carin Alden (Sweden), 8-0
WIN Anastasiya Lavrenchuk (Ukraine), 10-0
LOSS Tuende Elekes (Hungary), 2-1
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:20 pm

The U.S. Cadet girls end up with a total of five medals - pretty fair showing even though no one is bringing home gold.

Boys Freestyle starts Saturday morning.

Heaton earns silver, Martinez and Boyd bronze at Cadet World Championships

By Richard Immel, USA Wrestling | Sept. 16, 2016, 3 p.m. (ET)

TBILISI, Georgia – The U.S. women’s freestyle squad capped off the 2016 Cadet World Championships with a three-medal performance on Friday evening at New Sports Palace in Tbilisi, Georgia.

The repeat bid fell just short for 2015 Cadet World champion Ronna Heaton as she was edged by 2015 Cadet World bronze medalist Haruna Okuno of Japan, 4-2, in the 52 kg/114.5 lbs. finals. Okuno won the takedown battle two to one over Heaton to come away with the win.

“I felt pretty good today. My finals match I was feeling alright then, just little mistakes I can work on. My defense, I’ll go back and work on that with my coaches. [Okuno] just had really good positioning. I really wanted to be a Cadet World champ, two time, but maybe Junior World champ sometime,” said Heaton following the loss.

Heaton finished with a 3-1 record on the day, picking up three pins in the morning session to secure her spot in the championship match for the second-straight year.

2015 Cadet World silver medalist Alleida Martinez and first-time Cadet World Team member Alara Boyd both found themselves with bronze medals after posting decisive victories in tonight’s session.

Martinez was dominant throughout against Sweden’s Cadet European champion Emma Malmgren in the 46 kg/101.25 lbs. bronze medal match. The American scored four takedowns to earn an 8-3 win.

“It feels great just knowing that you actually got something here. [The coaches] just told me to keep pushing, and they knew I could do it. I also believe in myself and kept trying,” said Martinez.

Similarly, Boyd imposed her will on Canada’s Kirti Saxena, executing two superb takedown-to-turn combinations to win the 60 kg/132.25 lbs. bronze medal, 8-1.

“I just kept getting to my elbow passes, and [Saxena] would circle the other way, and I would just get to my shot. And my snaps were working good, so I felt great. I was just ready to go. You might get a lead, but you need to keep scoring because you never know what could happen,” said Boyd.

Americans Erin Mance and Emily Cue both dropped tough first round matches in the morning session and were able to wrestle back for a medal.

The U.S. women won five medals this week in Georgia, one silver and four bronze, to finish in third place in the team standings. In addition to today’s medalists, Macey Kilty and Gracie Figueroa earned bronze medals for the U.S. on Thursday.

“Yesterday we said that the athlete’s kind of came out flat and scared. Today I can’t say that. I think we came out and fought and that’s a great thing to see,” said U.S. coach Emma Randall after the competition.

Japan claimed the tournament team title with all nine of their entrants reaching the finals, eight of which won gold. Russia finished ahead of the U.S. for second place.

“As you can tell, we didn’t get first. There’s a long way to go to catch up with Japan. I think our athletes are closing the gap. I think our development system is closing the gap, but it’s not enough still. We’ve got to keep working, and that’s what we talked about out there in our team huddle was growth,” added Randall.

The Cadet World Championships will continue for the U.S. tomorrow with the first day of men’s freestyle competition. Qualification and repechage rounds are set to begin at 2 a.m. (ET) followed by the medal matches at 10 a.m. (ET).

Team Standings
1. Japan 89
2. Russia 67
3. United States 51
4. India 44
5. Kyrgyzstan 25
6. Sweden 24
6. Ukraine 24
8. Hungary 22
9. Azerbaijan 21
10. Belarus 20

Final Results
40 kg/88 lbs.
Gold – Tsugumi Sakurai (Japan)
Silver – Mansi Mansi (India)
Bronze – Maria-Alexandra Cioclea (Romania)
Bronze – Anna Argunova (Russia)
5th – Maria Leorda (Moldova)
5th – Yu-Syuan Chang (Chinese Taipei)
7th – Calista Espinoza (Canada)
8th – Edita Chemerdovska (Ukraine)
9th – Ulbike Kassymbekova (Kazakhstan)
10th – Havva Saglam (Turkey)

Gold – Tsugumi Sakurai (Japan) tech. fall Mansi Mansi (India), 10-0
Bronze – Maria-Alexandra Cioclea (Romania) fall Maria Leorda (Moldova), 1:59
Bronze – Anna Argunova (Russia) dec. Yu-Syuan Chang (Chinese Taipei), 4-4

46 kg/101.25 lbs.
Gold – Suzuna Yoshimura (Japan)
Silver – Andreea Ana (Romania)
Bronze – Alleida Martinez (United States)
Bronze – Valentyna Karamavrova (Ukraine)
5th – Emma Malmgren (Sweden)
5th – Anju Anju (India)
7th – Ayaulym Tuganbayeva (Kazakhstan)
8th – Natallia Varakina (Belarus)
9th – Teresa Lumia (Italy)
10th – Alina Zokoeva (Azerbaijan)

Gold – Suzuna Yoshimura (Japan) fall Andreea Ana (Romania)
Bronze – Alleida Martinez (United States) dec. Emma Malmgren (Sweden), 8-3
Bronze – Valentyna Karamavrova (Ukraine) fall Anju Anju (India), 3:41

52 kg/114.5 lbs.
Gold – Haruna Okuno (Japan)
Silver – Ronna Heaton (United States)
Bronze – Nazira Marsbek Kyzy (Kyrgyzstan)
Bronze – Ida Joensson (Sweden)
5th – Andribeth Rivera Belliard (Puerto Rico)
5th – Erika Bognar (Hungary)
7th – Nadezhda Spitsyna (Russia)
8th – Eda Tekin (Turkey)
9th – Vesela Bramcheva (Bulgaria)
10th – Kiran Kiran (India)

Gold – Haruna Okuno (Japan) dec. Ronna Heaton (United States), 4-2
Bronze – Nazira Marsbek Kyzy (Kyrgyzstan) dec. Andribeth Rivera Belliard (Puerto Rico), 4-4
Bronze – Ida Joensson (Sweden) dec. Erika Bognar (Hungary), 9-4

60 kg/132.25 lbs.
Gold – Atena Kodama (Japan)
Silver – Mariia Lachugina (Russia)
Bronze – Alara Boyd (United States)
Bronze – Anshu Anshu (India)
5th – Kirti Saxena (Canada)
5th – Aina Temirtassova (Kazakhstan)
7th – Gamze Adakan (Turkey)
8th – Kornelija Zaicevaite (Lithuania)
9th – Paulina Martyka (Poland)
10th – Ioana Marinkova (Bulgaria)

Gold – Atena Kodama (Japan) tech. fall Mariia Lachugina (Russia), 10-0
Bronze – Alara Boyd (United States) dec. Kirti Saxena (Canada), 8-1
Bronze – Anshu Anshu (India) dec. Aina Temirtassova (Kazakhstan), 7-4

70 kg/154.25 lbs.
Gold – Yasuha Matsuyuki (Japan)
Silver – Aiperi Medet Kyzy (Kyrgyzstan)
Bronze – Raquel Rama Escribano (Spain)
Bronze – Kamile Gaucaite (Lithuania)
5th – Bernadett Nagy (Hungary)
5th – Denise Makota Stroem (Sweden)
7th – Evgeniia Zakharchenko (Russia)
8th – Anastasiya Zimiankova (Belarus)
9th – Eleni Pjollaj (Italy)
10th – Merve Pul (Turkey)

Gold – Yasuha Matsuyuki (Japan) dec. Aiperi Medet Kyzy (Kyrgyzstan), 7-2
Bronze – Raquel Rama Escribano (Spain) dec. Bernadett Nagy (Hungary), 6-2
Bronze – Kamile Gaucaite (Lithuania) dec. Denise Makota Stroem (Sweden), 1-0

40 kg/88 lbs. - Erin Mance, Weatherford, Texas, 12th
LOSS Maria-Alexandra Cioclea (Romania), 10-0

46 kg/101.25 lbs. - Alleida Martinez, Selma, Calif., Bronze
LOSS Suzuna Yoshimura (Japan), 6-4
WIN Natallia Varakina (Belarus), 5-4
WIN Emma Malmgren (Sweden), 8-3

52 kg/114.5 lbs. - Ronna Heaton, Brookings, S.D., Silver
WIN Eden Mishiev (Israel), Fall 0:08
WIN Erika Bognar (Hungary), Fall 3:14
WIN Ida Joensson (Sweden), Fall 0:43
LOSS Haruna Okuno (Japan), 4-2

60 kg/132.25 lbs. - Alara Boyd, Muncie, Ind., Bronze
WIN Iryna Zhurauliova (Belarus), 8-2
WIN Gamze Adakan (Turkey), 6-2
LOSS Atena Kodama (Japan), 8-0
WIN Kirti Saxena (Canada), 8-1

70 kg/154.25 lbs. - Emily Cue, Parker, Colo., 14th
LOSS Kamile Gaucaite (Lithuania), 5-1

JM
Expert

Postby JM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:24 pm

U.S. Cadet girls take home a total of 5 medals, but not a gold one. Team earns 3rd place behind Japan & Russia.

[b]Heaton earns silver, Martinez and Boyd bronze at Cadet World Championships [/b]

By Richard Immel, USA Wrestling | Sept. 16, 2016, 3 p.m. (ET) U

TBILISI, Georgia – The U.S. women’s freestyle squad capped off the 2016 Cadet World Championships with a three-medal performance on Friday evening at New Sports Palace in Tbilisi, Georgia.

The repeat bid fell just short for 2015 Cadet World champion Ronna Heaton as she was edged by 2015 Cadet World bronze medalist Haruna Okuno of Japan, 4-2, in the 52 kg/114.5 lbs. finals. Okuno won the takedown battle two to one over Heaton to come away with the win.

“I felt pretty good today. My finals match I was feeling alright then, just little mistakes I can work on. My defense, I’ll go back and work on that with my coaches. [Okuno] just had really good positioning. I really wanted to be a Cadet World champ, two time, but maybe Junior World champ sometime,” said Heaton following the loss.

Heaton finished with a 3-1 record on the day, picking up three pins in the morning session to secure her spot in the championship match for the second-straight year.

2015 Cadet World silver medalist Alleida Martinez and first-time Cadet World Team member Alara Boyd both found themselves with bronze medals after posting decisive victories in tonight’s session.

Martinez was dominant throughout against Sweden’s Cadet European champion Emma Malmgren in the 46 kg/101.25 lbs. bronze medal match. The American scored four takedowns to earn an 8-3 win.

“It feels great just knowing that you actually got something here. [The coaches] just told me to keep pushing, and they knew I could do it. I also believe in myself and kept trying,” said Martinez.

Similarly, Boyd imposed her will on Canada’s Kirti Saxena, executing two superb takedown-to-turn combinations to win the 60 kg/132.25 lbs. bronze medal, 8-1.

“I just kept getting to my elbow passes, and [Saxena] would circle the other way, and I would just get to my shot. And my snaps were working good, so I felt great. I was just ready to go. You might get a lead, but you need to keep scoring because you never know what could happen,” said Boyd.

Americans Erin Mance and Emily Cue both dropped tough first round matches in the morning session and were able to wrestle back for a medal.

The U.S. women won five medals this week in Georgia, one silver and four bronze, to finish in third place in the team standings. In addition to today’s medalists, Macey Kilty and Gracie Figueroa earned bronze medals for the U.S. on Thursday.

“Yesterday we said that the athlete’s kind of came out flat and scared. Today I can’t say that. I think we came out and fought and that’s a great thing to see,” said U.S. coach Emma Randall after the competition.

Japan claimed the tournament team title with all nine of their entrants reaching the finals, eight of which won gold. Russia finished ahead of the U.S. for second place.

“As you can tell, we didn’t get first. There’s a long way to go to catch up with Japan. I think our athletes are closing the gap. I think our development system is closing the gap, but it’s not enough still. We’ve got to keep working, and that’s what we talked about out there in our team huddle was growth,” added Randall.

The Cadet World Championships will continue for the U.S. tomorrow with the first day of men’s freestyle competition. Qualification and repechage rounds are set to begin at 2 a.m. (ET) followed by the medal matches at 10 a.m. (ET).

Team Standings
1. Japan 89
2. Russia 67
3. United States 51
4. India 44
5. Kyrgyzstan 25
6. Sweden 24
6. Ukraine 24
8. Hungary 22
9. Azerbaijan 21
10. Belarus 20

Final Results
40 kg/88 lbs.
Gold – Tsugumi Sakurai (Japan)
Silver – Mansi Mansi (India)
Bronze – Maria-Alexandra Cioclea (Romania)
Bronze – Anna Argunova (Russia)
5th – Maria Leorda (Moldova)
5th – Yu-Syuan Chang (Chinese Taipei)
7th – Calista Espinoza (Canada)
8th – Edita Chemerdovska (Ukraine)
9th – Ulbike Kassymbekova (Kazakhstan)
10th – Havva Saglam (Turkey)

Gold – Tsugumi Sakurai (Japan) tech. fall Mansi Mansi (India), 10-0
Bronze – Maria-Alexandra Cioclea (Romania) fall Maria Leorda (Moldova), 1:59
Bronze – Anna Argunova (Russia) dec. Yu-Syuan Chang (Chinese Taipei), 4-4

46 kg/101.25 lbs.
Gold – Suzuna Yoshimura (Japan)
Silver – Andreea Ana (Romania)
Bronze – Alleida Martinez (United States)
Bronze – Valentyna Karamavrova (Ukraine)
5th – Emma Malmgren (Sweden)
5th – Anju Anju (India)
7th – Ayaulym Tuganbayeva (Kazakhstan)
8th – Natallia Varakina (Belarus)
9th – Teresa Lumia (Italy)
10th – Alina Zokoeva (Azerbaijan)

Gold – Suzuna Yoshimura (Japan) fall Andreea Ana (Romania)
Bronze – Alleida Martinez (United States) dec. Emma Malmgren (Sweden), 8-3
Bronze – Valentyna Karamavrova (Ukraine) fall Anju Anju (India), 3:41

52 kg/114.5 lbs.
Gold – Haruna Okuno (Japan)
Silver – Ronna Heaton (United States)
Bronze – Nazira Marsbek Kyzy (Kyrgyzstan)
Bronze – Ida Joensson (Sweden)
5th – Andribeth Rivera Belliard (Puerto Rico)
5th – Erika Bognar (Hungary)
7th – Nadezhda Spitsyna (Russia)
8th – Eda Tekin (Turkey)
9th – Vesela Bramcheva (Bulgaria)
10th – Kiran Kiran (India)

Gold – Haruna Okuno (Japan) dec. Ronna Heaton (United States), 4-2
Bronze – Nazira Marsbek Kyzy (Kyrgyzstan) dec. Andribeth Rivera Belliard (Puerto Rico), 4-4
Bronze – Ida Joensson (Sweden) dec. Erika Bognar (Hungary), 9-4

60 kg/132.25 lbs.
Gold – Atena Kodama (Japan)
Silver – Mariia Lachugina (Russia)
Bronze – Alara Boyd (United States)
Bronze – Anshu Anshu (India)
5th – Kirti Saxena (Canada)
5th – Aina Temirtassova (Kazakhstan)
7th – Gamze Adakan (Turkey)
8th – Kornelija Zaicevaite (Lithuania)
9th – Paulina Martyka (Poland)
10th – Ioana Marinkova (Bulgaria)

Gold – Atena Kodama (Japan) tech. fall Mariia Lachugina (Russia), 10-0
Bronze – Alara Boyd (United States) dec. Kirti Saxena (Canada), 8-1
Bronze – Anshu Anshu (India) dec. Aina Temirtassova (Kazakhstan), 7-4

70 kg/154.25 lbs.
Gold – Yasuha Matsuyuki (Japan)
Silver – Aiperi Medet Kyzy (Kyrgyzstan)
Bronze – Raquel Rama Escribano (Spain)
Bronze – Kamile Gaucaite (Lithuania)
5th – Bernadett Nagy (Hungary)
5th – Denise Makota Stroem (Sweden)
7th – Evgeniia Zakharchenko (Russia)
8th – Anastasiya Zimiankova (Belarus)
9th – Eleni Pjollaj (Italy)
10th – Merve Pul (Turkey)

Gold – Yasuha Matsuyuki (Japan) dec. Aiperi Medet Kyzy (Kyrgyzstan), 7-2
Bronze – Raquel Rama Escribano (Spain) dec. Bernadett Nagy (Hungary), 6-2
Bronze – Kamile Gaucaite (Lithuania) dec. Denise Makota Stroem (Sweden), 1-0

40 kg/88 lbs. - Erin Mance, Weatherford, Texas, 12th
LOSS Maria-Alexandra Cioclea (Romania), 10-0

46 kg/101.25 lbs. - Alleida Martinez, Selma, Calif., Bronze
LOSS Suzuna Yoshimura (Japan), 6-4
WIN Natallia Varakina (Belarus), 5-4
WIN Emma Malmgren (Sweden), 8-3

52 kg/114.5 lbs. - Ronna Heaton, Brookings, S.D., Silver
WIN Eden Mishiev (Israel), Fall 0:08
WIN Erika Bognar (Hungary), Fall 3:14
WIN Ida Joensson (Sweden), Fall 0:43
LOSS Haruna Okuno (Japan), 4-2

60 kg/132.25 lbs. - Alara Boyd, Muncie, Ind., Bronze
WIN Iryna Zhurauliova (Belarus), 8-2
WIN Gamze Adakan (Turkey), 6-2
LOSS Atena Kodama (Japan), 8-0
WIN Kirti Saxena (Canada), 8-1

70 kg/154.25 lbs. - Emily Cue, Parker, Colo., 14th
LOSS Kamile Gaucaite (Lithuania), 5-1

JM
Expert

Postby JM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:36 pm

U.S. freestyle boys do well in first day of Cadet Worlds. Cornell recruit Arujau earns a silver medal.

McHenry golden, U.S. claims four men's freestyle medals at Cadet Worlds

By Richard Immel, USA Wrestling | Sept. 17, 2016, 3:36 p.m. (ET)

TBILISI, Georgia – The U.S. men’s freestyle team sits atop the team standings after the first day of competition at the 2016 Cadet World Championships with four individuals earning a medal on Saturday evening.

The electric Kurt McHenry stole the show at New Sports Palace with an instant classic win in the gold medal match to become the first Cadet World Champion for the U.S. this week in Tbilisi, Georgia.

Taking on Cadet European champion Mahir Mammadzada of Azerbaijan in the 42 kg/92.5 lbs. gold medal match, McHenry jumped out to an early 4-0 lead courtesy of two slick takedown conversions. Mammadzada returned with four points of his own to lead McHenry on criteria, 4-4, late in the match. With less than five seconds remaining McHenry exposed his Azerbaijani foe from neutral to go ahead for good. After a lost challenge from Mammadzada, McHenry won by a final 7-5 tally.

“I was just focused. I didn’t want to come out here and play any games. I wanted to get the job done,” McHenry said following his gold medal win. “To be the best you have to beat the best. I really didn’t care who I had to wrestle. I just wrestled the body. I didn’t wrestle his name. I didn’t wrestle his country. I went out there and put it on him.”

Also in the finals for the U.S. was New York native Vito Arujau at 58 kg/127.75 lbs. Arujau went back and forth with Iran’s Amirhossein Maghsoudi, but was defeated in a high-paced, 12-8 affair that went down to the final whistle.

“I’m proud of Vito for getting second in the World,” U.S. coach Brandon Slay said of Arujau after his finals bout. “Vito, if he wouldn’t have made a few of those mistakes he would have been the World champion tonight, and I know that’s hard for him, but he’ll learn the lesson…he’ll fail forward and get better because of it.”

Americans David Carr and Jacob Warner were successful in their bronze medal bids on Saturday night with both men dominating their final opponents.

Carr picked up three takedowns, and controlled the pace throughout his bronze medal match at 69 kg/152 lbs. against Gegham Galstyan of Armenia. When the final buzzer sounded it was Carr on top, 7-2.

“I didn’t want to leave here without a medal,” Carr stated at day’s end. “I was really hard on myself because of the way I lost. My brother called me. I had a lot of support by a lot of people, and it really helped me get through that match.”

Warner left no doubt in the 85 kg/187.4 lbs. bronze medal bout as he blasted through Jakub Szymula of Poland, 11-0. Warner scored four takedowns, a turn and a step out over the duration of the match to win a World medal in his first international appearance.

“It takes a lot of character to come back after a loss, especially the type of loss I had, 4-4 loss on criteria. Basically didn’t wrestle that second period and it cost me a potential gold medal. Coming back, I was pretty heartbroken, but with the help of my coaches I was able to get my mind right again and realize I need to come back for bronze, not only for myself, but for the team,” said Warner.

Entering the final day of competition at the Cadet Worlds the U.S. leads second place Iran by one point and third place Russia by three points in the team race with a bevy of Red, White and Blue firepower yet to take the mat.

2015 Cadet World champions Yianni Diakomihalis and Gable Steveson headline a U.S. lineup for Sunday that boasts a medal threat in every weight class.

“I think any day you can come to a World Championships and win four medals out of five weight classes on the first day I think it’s a good day. Five medals would have been a great day, but I think it was a good day, and I think it put us in a position tomorrow to go after the team title,” added Slay.

The men’s freestyle competition at the Cadet World Championships concludes tomorrow with the qualification and repechage rounds at 2 a.m. (ET) followed by the medal matches at 10 a.m. (ET).

Final Results
42 kg/92.5 lbs.
Gold – Kurt McHenry (United States)
Silver – Mahir Mammadzada (Azerbaijan)
Bronze – Magomed Abdurakhmanov (Russia)
Bronze – Giorgi Gegelashvili (Georgia)
5th – Seyed Azimisiyacheghaei (Iran)
5th – Abdymalik Karachov (Kyrgyzstan)
7th – Arakel Movsesyan (Armenia)
8th – Oleg Gaydar (Ukraine)
9th – Saurabh Igave (India)
10th – Natan Serebrinsky (Israel)

Gold – Kurt McHenry (United States) dec. Mahir Mammadzada (Azerbaijan), 7-5
Bronze – Magomed Abdurakhmanov (Russia) dec. Seyed Azimisiyacheghaei (Iran), 4-3
Bronze – Giorgi Gegelashvili (Georgia) fall Abdymalik Karachov (Kyrgyzstan), 3:50

50 kg/110 lbs.
Gold – Petr Kopylov (Russia)
Silver – Amir Parasteh (Iran)
Bronze – Tornike Katamadze (Georgia)
Bronze – Engin Cetin (Turkey)
5th – Daigo Hattori (Japan)
5th – Asgar Mammadaliyev (Azerbaijan)
7th – Horst Lehr (Germany)
8th – Aaron Cashman (United States)
9th – Roberto Alejandro Blano (Mexico)
10th – Xander Coetzee (South Africa)

Gold – Petr Kopylov (Russia) dec. Amir Parasteh (Iran), 8-5
Bronze – Tornike Katamadze (Georgia) dec. Daigo Hattori (Japan), 8-6
Bronze – Engin Cetin (Turkey) dec. Asgar Mammadaliyev (Azerbaijan), 7-0

58 kg/127.75 lbs.
Gold – Amirhossein Maghsoudi (Iran)
Silver – Vitali Arujau (United States)
Bronze – Vadim Bikoev (Russia)
Bronze – Denys Borohan (Ukraine)
5th – Giorgi Elbakidze (Georgia)
5th – Ryuto Sakaki (Japan)
7th – Vazgen Tevanyan (Armenia)
8th – Nicolai Grahmez (Moldova)
9th – Daur Psardiia (Azerbaijan)
10th – Adil Ospanov (Kazakhstan)

Gold – Amirhossein Maghsoudi (Iran) dec. Vitali Arujau (United States), 12-8
Bronze – Vadim Bikoev (Russia) dec. Giorgi Elbakidze (Georgia), 11-8
Bronze – Denys Borohan (Ukraine) dec. Ryuto Sakaki (Japan), 3-3

69 kg/152 lbs.
Gold – Abubakr Abakarov (Azerbaijan)
Silver – Sajjad Gholami (Iran)
Bronze – Dogukan Kalayci (Turkey)
Bronze – David Carr (United States)
5th – Yuto Izutsu (Japan)
5th – Gegham Galstyan (Armenia)
7th – Kutambek Keneshbek Uulu (Kyrgyzstan)
8th – Musa Magomedov (Russia)
9th – Yevhenii Dubovyi (Ukraine)
10th – Durgut Tasim (Bulgaria)

Gold – Abubakr Abakarov (Azerbaijan) dec. Sajjad Gholami (Iran), 6-3
Bronze – Dogukan Kalayci (Turkey) dec. Yuto Izutsu (Japan), 11-10
Bronze – David Carr (United States) dec. Gegham Galstyan (Armenia), 7-2

85 kg/187.4 lbs.
Gold – Deepak Punia (India)
Silver – Nail Seyyar (Turkey)
Bronze – Jacob Warner (United States)
Bronze – Alik Shebzukhov (Russia)
5th – Jakub Szymula (Poland)
5th – Mher Markosyan (Armenia)
7th – Simon Oksaniani (Georgia)
8th – Kuanysh Karabek (Kazakhstan)
9th – Davlatbek Ashurov (Uzbekistan)
10th – Seyedabolfazl Hashemijouybari (Iran)

Gold – Deepak Punia (India) dec. Nail Seyyar (Turkey), 9-5
Bronze – Jacob Warner (United States) dec. Jakub Szymula (Poland), 11-0
Bronze – Alik Shebzukhov (Russia) dec. Mher Markosyan (Armenia), 5-0

U.S. men’s freestyle results
42 kg/92.5 lbs. - Kurt McHenry, Leesburg, Va., Gold
WIN Seyed Azimisiyacheghaei (Iran), 6-4
WIN Arakel Movsesyan (Armenia), 10-0
WIN Magomed Abdurakhmanov (Russia), 11-0
WIN Mahir Mammadzada (Azerbaijan), 7-5

50 kg/110 lbs. - Aaron Cashman, Spring Park, Minn., 8th
WIN Azim Mamyshev (Kyrgyzstan), 15-4
LOSS Amir Parasteh (Iran), 7-1
LOSS Engin Cetin (Turkey), 8-2

58 kg/127.75 lbs. - Vitali Arujau, Syosset, N.Y., Silver
WIN Hector Candelaria Rivera (Puerto Rico), 10-0
WIN Ryuto Sakaki (Japan), 9-6
WIN Denys Borohan (Ukraine), 10-0
LOSS Amirhossein Maghsoudi (Iran), 12-8

69 kg/152 lbs. - David Carr, Massillon, Ohio, Bronze
WIN Davud Alizalau (Belarus), 11-0
WIN Yevhenii Dubovyi (Ukraine), 10-2
LOSS Sajjad Gholami (Iran), 8-8
WIN Gegham Galstyan (Armenia), 7-2

85 kg/187.4 lbs. - Jacob Warner, Washington, Ill., Bronze
WIN Gheorghe Erhan (Moldova), Fall 1:20
WIN Davlatbek Ashurov (Uzbekistan), 10-0
LOSS Deepak Punia (India), 4-4
WIN Simon Oksaniani (Georgia), 8-2
WIN Jakub Szymula (Poland), 11-0
JM
Expert

Postby seawolf » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:55 am

Vito take Silver. Very tough finals match.

Yianni is in the finals again!
seawolf
Expert

Postby JM » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Yianni dominates and takes the GOLD (again).

USA nipped by Russia in team race.

The future is bright!

Diakomihalis, Steveson go back-to-back, Wittlake wins bronze on final day of Cadet Worlds

By Richard Immel, USA Wrestling | Sept. 18, 2016, 3:22 p.m. (ET)

TBILISI, Georgia – History was made on the final day of the 2016 Cadet World Championships with Yianni Diakomihalis and Gable Steveson becoming the first two Americans to ever win two Cadet World gold medals, and Travis Wittlake grasping bronze to give the U.S. seven total medals in men’s freestyle.

Diakomihalis was the first American up on Sunday evening at New Sports Palace in Tbilisi, Georgia, and he stayed true to his championship form. In the 63 kg/138.75 lbs. gold medal match, Diakomihalis was dominant in all phases to secure an 8-0 win over two-time Cadet European medalist Stefan Tonu of Moldova.

“That was probably the best match I wrestled all day,” an energetic Diakomihalis said after winning gold. “So, like, it’s good that I won, but it’s good that I finished off wrestling well. Overall I was completely wrestling from setup to finish. It was good.”

Diakomihalis won a five matches on his road to Cadet World gold No. 2, with three wins coming by technical fall and his closest margin of victory standing at six points. He outscored his opponents by a combined 52-6 tally.

In the 100 kg/220 lbs. finals, Steveson won a physical 5-1 battle over Russian foe Adam Beterbiev. Early in the first Beterbiev ran Steveson off the mat and raised finals platform to take a 1-0 lead. However, it was all Steveson from then on as he scored a takedown, turn and step out to win the gold.

“I’ve been working every day, all summer for this, no breaks, and I told you all back in June that I was going to win it, and I stuck with my word,” Steveson said following his win. “No one else has done this. It’s just me and Yianni. This is it.”

In the morning session Steveson pitched shutout technical fall wins over Ashot Rushanyan of Armenia and Samed Kurban of Turkey prior to topping Cadet Asian bronze medalist Viky Viky of India in the semifinals, 5-1.

Neither Diakomihalis nor Steveson surrendered a takedown throughout the tournament.

Wittlake came back strong after suffering a second round loss to win the bronze medal at 76 kg/167.5 lbs. with a 5-4 win over Shutaro Yamada of Japan. Wittlake opened a 4-0 lead in the first period, but Yamada rallied in the second to tie it, 4-4. The American emerged victorious 5-4 after a failed challenge by the Japanese corner at the end of the bout.

“It was a good match. He’s a tough kid, hard to wrestle with,” Wittlake said. “It was a good tournament. Coming into this I was prepared to win a World title. I was really excited. I believed I could do it, and I still believe I should be a World champ right now. To come back from something like that is a great reward.”

Malik Heinselman and Roman Bravo-Young both dropped early matches in the opening session for the U.S. squad and were not pulled into the repechage. However, Bravo-Young netted the U.S. a team point by finishing in 10th place at 54 kg/119 lbs.

The U.S. wound up in second place in the team standings with 67 team points, two behind first-place Russia. Azerbaijan and Georgia both finished with 47 team points, but Azerbaijan took home the third place trophy due to criteria.

“The last time I checked there’s only one planet with people living on it and this group got second on that planet as a group of young men…I’m really, really proud of their overall effort as a team,” said U.S. coach Brandon Slay.

In addition to today’s medalists, Kurt McHenry won gold, Vitali Arujau took silver and David Carr and Jacob Warner picked up bronze medals for the U.S. in men’s freestyle. The talented American squad captured three gold medals , one silver medal and three bronze medals in Tbilisi this week.

Complete brackets and match-by-match results from the 2016 Cadet World Championships are available at unitedworldwrestling.org. Archived matches and additional coverage from Georgia can be viewed on Flowrestling.org.

Team Standings
1. Russia 69
2. United States 67
3. Azerbaijan 47
3. Georgia 47
5. Japan 42
6. Armenia 39
6. Armenia 39
8. Iran 37
8.Turkey 37
10. Ukraine 33

Final Results
46 kg/104.4 lbs.
Gold – Zagir Shakhiev (Russia)
Silver – Swapnil Shelar (India)
Bronze – Marcell Budai Kovacs (Hungary)
Bronze – Dogan Kara (Turkey)
5th – Hirai Tanaka (Japan)
5th – Akbar Kenzhebek Uulu (Kyrgyzstan)
7th – Rustambek Juraev (Uzbekistan)
8th – Nurymbet Atabekuly (Kazakhstan)
9th – Amirhossein Khodabakhshiparijan (Iran)
10th – Vladimeri Gamkrelidze (Georgia)

Gold – Zagir Shakhiev (Russia) tech. fall Swapnil Shelar (India), 10-0
Bronze – Marcell Budai Kovacs (Hungary) inj. def. Hirai Tanaka (Japan), 0:00
Bronze – Dogan Kara (Turkey) dec. Akbar Kenzhebek Uulu (Kyrgyzstan), 9-7

54 kg/119 lbs.
Gold – Andrii Dzhelep (Ukraine)
Silver – Georgios Pilidis (Greece)
Bronze – Ravinder Ravinder (India)
Bronze – Abzal Okenov (Kazakhstan)
5th – Amiran Vakhtangashvili (Georgia)
5th – Arsen Harutyunyan (Armenia)
7th – Hyuga Taniguchi (Japan)
8th – Firuz Yokubov (Uzbekistan)
9th – Ikromzhon Khadzhimurodov (Kyrgyzstan)
10th – Roman Bravo-Young (United States)

Gold – Andrii Dzhelep (Ukraine) dec. Georgios Pilidis (Greece), 3-2
Bronze – Ravinder Ravinder (India) dec. Amiran Vakhtangashvili (Georgia), 11-0
Bronze – Abzal Okenov (Kazakhstan) dec. Arsen Harutyunyan (Armenia), 6-3

63 kg/138.75 lbs.
Gold – Yianni Diakomihalis (United States)
Silver – Stefan Tonu (Moldova)
Bronze – Jintaro Motoyama (Japan)
Bronze – Inal Dzhopua (Azerbaijan)
5th – Ulan Tolegen (Kazakhstan)
5th – Turgay Fevzi (Bulgaria)
7th – Muslim Saidulaev (Russia)
8th – Daniel Markarashvili (Georgia)
9th – Daniel Coles (Canada)
10th – Arman Andreasyan (Armenia)

Gold – Yianni Diakomihalis (United States) dec. Stefan Tonu (Moldova), 8-0
Bronze – Jintaro Motoyama (Japan) dec. Ulan Tolegen (Kazakhstan), 9-2
Bronze – Inal Dzhopua (Azerbaijan) dec. Turgay Fevzi (Bulgaria), 8-0

76 kg/167.5 lbs.
Gold – Miriani Maisuradze (Georgia)
Silver – Kamil Abdulzhamalov (Russia)
Bronze – Travis Wittlake (United States)
Bronze – Andrii Gyka (Ukraine)
5th – Shutaro Yamada (Japan)
5th – Arman Avagyan (Armenia)
7th – Rashad Yusifli (Azerbaijan)
8th – Johannes (Germany)
9th – Naveen Naveen (India)
10th – Mert Cikmaz (Turkey)

Gold – Miriani Maisuradze (Georgia) dec. Kamil Abdulzhamalov (Russia), 11-9
Bronze – Travis Wittlake (United States) dec. Shutaro Yamada (Japan), 5-4
Bronze – Andrii Gyka (Ukraine) dec. Arman Avagyan (Armenia), 7-7

100 kg/220 lbs.
Gold – Gable Steveson (United States)