WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

The Olympics - Men's Freestyle

Moderator: JM

Re: The Olympics - Men's Freestyle

Postby D3 for LU » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Snyder now wrestling Gozuimove (AZE) for Gold...
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

KYLE DID IT!!!

Postby D3 for LU » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:35 pm

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!!!

score 2-1... pushout pt...pen pt vs pen pt.
wooooohooo! 8)
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby black_sabathia » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:28 pm

Kyle is the man! Doubt that we'll ever see him wrestle in college again, far too much money now for him to pass up.
“I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.” -Socrates —
black_sabathia
Expert

Postby JM » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:37 pm

CORRUPTION ???

United World Wrestling Statement on Final Day of Wrestling Competition
By United World Wrestling Press

August 21, 2016 - 18:00
RIO DE JANEIRO (August 21) – Referee commission chairman Antonio SILVESTRI (GER) has announced the suspension of referees following suspicious officiating during the 65kg quarterfinal match between Franklin GOMEZ (PUR) and Ikhtiyor MAVRUZOV (UZB).

Temo KAZARASHVILLI (GEO), Tong-Kun CHUNG (KOR) and Sergei NOVAKOSKIY (RUS) have been removed from refereeing responsibilities pending investigation and face further sanction. They are also not on the field of play for the night's final session.

The match and all circumstances surrounding the match are also under full investigation by the United World Wrestling Ethical Commission with a full report will to be issued at the conclusion of the examination.
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:49 pm

Many thanks, D3, for your usual great job of reporting today and keeping our hordes of Forum viewers up to date on the matches.
JM
Expert

Postby mh1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:14 pm

The whole thing was very sad and very hard to fathom. Could be the most corrupt sport in the Olympics and now I understand why they wanted to toss it. Hard to understand how this goes on in its current state. Great wrestling at times, corrupt refs and judges and sideshow theatrics. Very bad day for wrestling
mh1
Expert

Postby Husky1967 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:06 am

Well, maybe; but the US wrestlers simply didn't live to up many of our expectations. I feel very bad for JB.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby JM » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:09 am

Reposted from the Cornell forum - for what it's worth

Monday morning assessment of the USA's wrestling performance.

Greco - zero medals. About as expected.

Women's Freestyle - one medal, but it was GOLD. Two were expected. Helen Mouralis is USA's Outstanding Wrestler of the Olympics defeating Japan's iconic but aging Yoshida.

Men's Freestyle - two medals, one GOLD. Three were expected.

Overall - three medals won out of 72 up for grabs. A very unimpressive statistic. Two GOLDs won out of 18 possible. Not terrible, but not outstanding.

If, in addition to the medals we did win, Gray and Burroughs had won Gold as expected, most would give the USA a 'good' (B+) grade; if they had medaled, USA would likely get a 'fair' (C) but passing grade.
As it stands, based on results, I think they earned a 'D'.

One final observation - people talk a lot about 'the luck of the draw' at the Olympics. The two worst things that can happen to a wrestler in an Olympic draw is 1) have the #1, #3 and/or #4 ranked wrestler on your side of the bracket; 2) be one of six wrestlers in the bottom quarter of the bracket where you have to wrestle one extra match - very unfair - it is grueling enough as it is. I do not believe (without checking) that any American freestyler had either of those situations occur.
JM
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:53 am

JM wrote:Many thanks, D3, for your usual great job of reporting today and keeping our hordes of Forum viewers up to date on the matches.

Agree, thanks to D3! And thank you, JM, for all of your commentary and background info posts - this page became my first stop each day to figure out what was going on and when/where to watch.

All in all - the wrestling was pretty good, I thought - the refereeing and "sideshow" aspect of some matches, not so good.

As for US results - it's worthwhile to look at the overall medal counts. Russia and Japan had four golds total, Cuba and USA with two each, and then six counties at one apiece; and that's including all three styles (MFS, WFS, & GR). Disappointing that both Grey and Borroughs fail to even place, but on the other hand, I thought a medal for Cox was possible but not necessarily expected, and Maroulis for Gold was no given, either. All in all, The US fell below what were really best case expectations, but I Think the "D" grade is a little harsh, JM! I'd call it a "C".

BTW, another interesting stat - if you look at gold medal counts for the various sports the USA competed in - wrestling is 4th (tied with Basketball), after Swimming (16), Track & Field(13), and Gymnastics(4). Of 20 other events that the US medaled in, none had more than one gold.

All finished for this Olympic cycle. Do it again in 4 more years?
Red Blades
Expert

Postby Husky1967 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:42 pm

Thanks for the great analyses. I don't know much about international wrestling, but I admit I expected us to cop at least 5 medals. Well, it is what it is. I am sure all the wrestlers did their best, and more is not to be expected. Like I said before, I feel for JB, as he is an outstanding citizen and American and has worked so hard throughout his wrestling career. He deserved a better fate in the end. In any case, he is to be commended for all that he has accomplished. Obviously, our medal winners in these Olympics also deserve the highest praise. And I am NOT "over-exaggerating"!! Hope to see many of you in the late Fall at a collegiate match or tournament somewhere. Wrestling!! THE OLDEST AND GREATEST SPORT!!
Husky1967
Veteran

Previous

Return to InternationalWrestling