WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

The Olympics - Men's Freestyle

Moderator: JM

The Olympics - Men's Freestyle

Postby JM » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Finally ....

American Burroughs Looks for Repeat: Wrestling's Quick + Easy Day Six Preview

RIO DE JANEIRO (August 18) -- Jordan BURROUGHS (USA) will look to defend his 2012 Olympic title tomorrow at Carioca Arena 2. The 74kg freestyle wrestler has also won three world titles and is currently ranked No.1 in the world. Wrestlers from the 57kg weight category will also take to the mats, led by defending world champion Vladimer Khinchegashvili.

Tomorrow's wrestling will start at 9am E.T. (10am local) and feature women's wrestling 57kg and 74kg.

The first session will end after semifinals with repechage being competed in the second session. The second session will start at 3pm E.T. (4pm local) and run roughly three hours.

Highlights for 57kg

First Round: Embatteld Viktor LEBEDEV (RUS) faces a stiff opening round test with Sandeep TOMAR (IND)
Must Watch Athlete: YANG Kyong-Il (PRK) is a 2009 and 2014 world champion as well as a 2012 Olympic bronze medalist

Highlights for 74kg

First Round: Zelimkhan KHADJIEV (FRA) v Narsingh YADAV (IND) is a repeat of the 2015 bronze medal match won by Yadav.
Must Watch: Jordan BURROUGHS (USA) looks to defend his title and may face top-rival Anuiar GEDUEV (RUS) in the quarterfinals

To get you ready for the stories behind tomorrow's action below are the links you'll need, with photos of the brackets and a guide to our news agate which makes for an easy viewing of results.

Inside the 57kg and 74kg brackets: http://uww.io/zgbHW

Who's Who at 57kg and 74kg: http://uww.io/0VoYl

How to view the brackets --> Click on "Olympic Games" then "Results & Videos" and then your preferred weight class. This will give you the agate and the upcoming mat assignments for each match and wrestler: http://uww.io/vTABU

Helpful link on where to watch the wrestling from your country: http://uww.io/live
JM
Expert

Re: The Olympics - Men's Freestyle

Postby JM » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:01 pm

A bad morning for the USA wrestlers at the Olympics.

At 57kg in his first (and only) match Iowan Dennis is clobbered by Dubov of Bulgaria, 11-0 in 89 seconds. He looked terrible getting taken down and turned 4x. Dubov later loses to the top seed in semis, so Dennis cannot compete in consolations.

After that, JB wins his first match but then loses to a tough Russian, Gedeuv, 3-2. Not as close as score indicated as JB gets a TD with 5 seconds left to make it close. Gedeuv wrestled smart well-coached match, Kept in tight in neutral, using front headlock to keep JB at bay and taking time off the clock. JB had little room to shoot. Russian scores on passitivity call in 1st period and two pushuts in 2nd period. Strength and perfect positioning wins over quickness.

Fortunately Gedeuv comes back from a 4-0 deficit to move into finals, allowing Burroughs to qualify for consolations and possible bronze medal. Will have a very tough opponent in Hasanov.

Who would have thought that multi-time World Champions Adeline Gray and Jordan Burroughs would go down in round 2 of this tourney?
JM
Expert

Postby black_sabathia » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Gedeuv is horsed to the max, ripped out of his Russian gourd. Still has to pass his drug tests.

Dennis got destroyed by another ridiculously strong dude. All that training for 90 seconds. Unreal.
“I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.” -Socrates —
black_sabathia
Expert

Postby JM » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:39 pm

Jordan Burroughs gets teched 11-1 in the first consolation round by a former Clarion wrestler -Bekzod Aburmakov (sp??).

Unexplainable
JM
Expert

Postby black_sabathia » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:00 pm

When Gedeuv pushed him in the chest I saw fear in his eye. He also looked sucked out, noticeably smaller in both matches.
“I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.” -Socrates —
black_sabathia
Expert

Postby JM » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:18 pm

JORDAN BURROUGHS SPEAKS OUT
By Associated Press

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) -- U.S. wrestler Jordan Burroughs came to the Rio Olympics expecting to build a legacy so great he could transcend his sport. Instead, the defending Olympic and world champion was left to try and explain the unexplainable.

Burroughs, considered by many the best wrestler in the world, was stunned by Russia's Aniuar Geduev on Friday in the quarterfinals of men's freestyle wrestling.

Geduev, a three-time European champion ranked second in the world, upended Burroughs 3-2 at 74 kilograms to hand the American just his third international loss and knock him out of gold-medal contention.
A devastated Burroughs was later routed 11-1 by Uzbekistan's Bekzod Abdurakhmonov in the loser's bracket with a potential bronze still on the line.

"This was supposed to be my year. This was supposed to be my breakthrough performance," said Burroughs as he wiped away tears that had mixed with blood from a head cut. "I've done everything right. I've sacrificed so much to get here. ... I wanted to be among the greats. I wanted to be a Simone Biles, a Michael Phelps, nationally. I wanted to be those guys, and it's unfortunate."

Geduev jumped to a 3-0 lead in a match stopped several times so officials could clean that cut on Burroughs' head.

Burroughs scored a late takedown, but it wasn't enough to overcome the deficit.

"It's a tough day. I had a lot of expectations coming here. I wanted to win. I knew I was capable of winning. Sometimes things don't go according to plan," Burroughs said. "I lost a lot of things today. But my integrity and my character remain."

Burroughs emerged as wrestling's biggest star at the 2012 Games. It was that victory in London -- combined with his charismatic, social media-friendly persona -- that helped make Burroughs the face of wrestling as the sport fought in 2013 to return to the Olympic program.

Burroughs, a New Jersey native who starred for the University of Nebraska, won the world title again in 2013. He was forced to settle for bronze in 2014 after hurting his knee in the opening match.

Burroughs returned to handily win the world championships in Las Vegas in 2015, and his dominant performance at the Olympic trials in April made it seem as though no one could touch him in Rio.

Burroughhs was so confident that he told The Associated Press in July that he planned to bring his gold medal from London to Rio so he could wear two of them to his post-Rio news conference.
But from the moment Burroughs hit the mat Friday, it just didn't seem like his day.

Burroughs came out attacking in his first match, scoring on an early takedown to seize control of his opening match against Guinea Bissau's Augusto Midana. Though he won 8-3, though it was unusual to see Burroughs give up multiple scores to such an unaccomplished opponent.

Geduev and Burroughs nearly came to blows just seconds into their match, as Geduev shoved Burroughs hard in the shoulders after Burroughs objected to a head slap by nearly slapping the Russian.

Geduev scored first and made point-scoring moves difficult for Burroughs. Geduev padded his lead with a pair of second-period pushouts, and Burroughs found himself on the mat trying to come to grips with a loss that dropped his international record to 130-3.

"I felt ready," Burroughs said, sounding perplexed about how it all went so wrong. "That's the hardest part of all of this. I live my lifestyle the right way. I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't go out and party. I'm a family man. I take care of business. I train hard. I'm an ambassador for the sport of wrestling. A lot of people were counting on me today."
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Preview of Saturday's matches

Sadulaev Looks at Possible Semifinal Showdown with Sharipov in FS Draw for Saturday
By United World Wrestling Press
August 19, 2016 - 20:57

RIO DE JANEIRO (August 19) – Two-time world champion Abdulrashid SADULAEV (RUS) looks at a possible semifinal showdown with London 2012 gold medalist Sharif SHARIPOV (AZE) on Saturday, the second day of freestyle wrestling at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

Twenty-year-old Sadulaev launches his quest for his first Olympic Games gold medal at 86kg in a round of 16 bout against 2013 world bronze medalist Istvan VEREB (HUN) at Carioca Arena

Possible semifinal opponents for Sadulaev could be Sharipov, or Sandro AMINASHVILI (GEO), the 2015 world and European Games bronze medalist.

On the side of the bracket, world bronze medalist Alireza KARIMIMACHIANI (IRI) begins in the preliminary bouts and could face one of two world silver medalists from this Olympic cycle – Selim YASAR (TUR) or Reineris SALAS PEREZ (CUB).

Meanwhile, at 125kg, world champion top-seeded Taha AKGUL (TUR) appears at the top of the bracket with the leading challengers being fifth-place finishers at the 2015 world meet -- JARGALSAIKHAN Chuluunbat (MGL) and Levan BERIANIDZE (ARM).

The bottom half of the bracket is weighted by a number of world medalists, including last year’s silver medalist at Las Vegas Jamaladdin MAGOMEDOV (AZE) as well as bronze medal winners Bilyal MAKHOV (RUS) and Geno PETRIASHVILI (GEO).

Adding to the level of difficulty in the lower half are world silver medalists Alen ZASIEIEV (UKR, 2013) and Komeil GHASEMI (IRI, 2014) as well as 2014 bronze medalist Tervel DLAGNEV (USA). Makhov and Ghasemi were also bronze medalists at London 2012.

Freestyle 86kg (19 entries)

Preliminary Round
Pr A - Aslan KAKHIDZE (KAZ) v Amarhadzhi MAGOMEDOV (BLR)
Pr B - ORGODOL Uitumen (MGL) v Mihail GANEV (BUL)
Pr C - Alireza KARIMIMACHIANI (IRI) v Mohamed SAADAOUI (TUN)

Round of 16
Abdulrashid SADULAEV (RUS) v Istvan VEREB (HUN)
Pedro CEBALLOS FUENTES (VEN) v Mohamed Aly Zaghloul MOHAMED (EGY)
BI Shengfeng (CHN) v Sharif SHARIFOV (AZE)
Zbigniew BARANOWSKI (POL) v Sandro AMINASHVILI (GEO)

Selim YASAR (TUR) v Jamie ESPINAL (PUR)
Reineris SALAS PEREZ (CUB) v KIM Gwan-Uk (KOR)
J’den COX (USA) v Winner PrA
Winner PrB v Winner PrC

Freestyle 125kg (20 entries)

Preliminary Round
PrA – Alen ZASIEIEV (UKR) v Bilyal MAKHOV (RUS)
PrB – Geno PETRIASHVILI (GEO) v Dimitar KUMCHEV (BUL)
PrC – Korey JARVIS (CAN) v Komeil GHASEMI (IRI)
PrD – Radhouane CHEBBI (TUN) v Diaaeldin ABDELMOTTALEB (EGY)

Round of 16
Taha AKGUL (TUR) v JARGALSAIKHAN Chuluunbat (MGL)
Ibrahim SAIDOV (BLR) v Daulet SHABANBAY (KAZ)
DENG Zhiwei (CHN) v Levan BERIANIDZE (ARM)
Florian TEMENGIL (PLW) v Daniel LIGETI (HUN)

Jamaladdin MAGOMEDOV (AZE) v Tervel DLAGNEV (USA)
Robert BARAN (POL) v Aiaal LAZAREV (KGZ)
Winner PrA v Winner PrB
Winner PrC v Winner PrD
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:17 am

Great start for USA wrestlers on Saturday. Dlagnev upsets his opponent 6-5 after being behind 5-0. Great comeback for the heavyweight. Missouri's J'Den Cox wins handily 7-1 to advance to quarters.
JM
Expert

J'Den... WHAT WERE YOU @#$%^#@&*THINKING???

Postby D3 for LU » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:27 am

What a wasted opportunity! :evil:
He was on the Turks legs all day long but he couldn't finish!
After another wasted opportunity for getting a TD, only to get a push out point(?)... he was behind in the scoring due to his caution pt after being put on the clock in the 1st pd.
DIDN'T HE REALIZE THAT?!? :?
Afterwards, he wrestled LIKE HE WAS PROTECTING A non-existent LEAD... only to almost pull out a TD in the end.
...he pulled the trigger a few seconds too late. :roll:

Didn't he realize that he was loosing? :? :? :?
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby black_sabathia » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:35 am

Tervel teched in 28 seconds by the Iranian.
black_sabathia
Expert

Stick A Fork In Him...

Postby D3 for LU » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:39 am

...cause he's done.

Approximately, less than 30 seconds it took for Ghasemi to gut wrench Dlagnev in the semis for the TF.

After a lionhearted victory over Magomedov (AZE) earlier, he was winning comfortably over the Polish wrestler... only to shut it down way to early in my estimation and gave up only a td in the last seconds to hang in w/a 3-2 win.
Afterwards, you could see in his body language that Tervel was spent.
If you watched the SF bout, that didn't bode well.
Hopefully... MAYBE... TD will recover for the bronze medal march.
(...but don't bet the ranch on that. :| )
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby LU in the Hub » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:07 pm

D3 for LU wrote:What a wasted opportunity! :evil:
He was on the Turks legs all day long but he couldn't finish!
After another wasted opportunity for getting a TD, only to get a push out point(?)... he was behind in the scoring due to his caution pt after being put on the clock in the 1st pd.
DIDN'T HE REALIZE THAT?!? :?
Afterwards, he wrestled LIKE HE WAS PROTECTING A non-existent LEAD... only to almost pull out a TD in the end.
...he pulled the trigger a few seconds too late. :roll:

Didn't he realize that he was loosing? :? :? :?
D3

Nope. -> “I thought I was winning. I didn’t know until the coach told me afterwards that I was down. I am not placing blame anywhere, there is no place to put blame. If I score more points, I win the match. I learned a valuable lesson today. It’s all good. I’ll figure it out. I have another match to get ready for. That is what I am looking forward to,” said Cox.

It certainly is a wacky and obscure criterion and I do put the blame on the coaches. It was up to them to inform him, not on Jaden in the heat of battle.
LU in the Hub
Expert

Postby CJC » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:37 pm

J'Den looked phenomenal against Salas in the bronze bout.

What and incredible performance especially after that semi final.

WOW!
CJC
Expert

Postby JM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:47 pm

Time for a little personal recap on the two USA wrestlers adventures on the Olympic mat today. First of all a confession, I only watched a couple of bouts earlier in the day. Did not see the bronze medal matches.

J'Den Cox - excellent performance and earned his bronze medal. Tough hombre. Probably could have been in the finals except for a terrible fup up by his coaches who did not inform him in period two that he was losing on criteria, not winning as he obviously thought. Huge strategic error. Bill Farrell is turning over I his grave. Cox justifiably got the benefit of a last second call in his bronze medal match to snatch victory away from this Cuban rival.

Tervel Dagnov - Great performance to start and then .... whoooooa. Fabulous first match, then he eeked his way into the semi-finals before running out of gas or whatever injury was bothering him and was teched in his next two bouts in under a minute each. The USA Wrestling folks obviously knew of his injury perils; why did they wrestle him and not Rey under such conditions?

Lots of questions to be answered by the USA Wrestling leadership regarding the USA readiness to compete in these Games. Where is the accountability?
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:01 pm

Two-time World Champs Sadulaev, Akgul Win First OG Gold Medals at Rio 2016

by William May

RIO DE JANEIRO (August 20) – Two-time world champions Abdulrashid SADULAEV (RUS) and Taha AKGUL (TUR) won their first Olympic Games gold medals on Saturday, the second day of wrestling action at Rio 2016 Games.

Sadulaev defeated London 2012 gold medalist Sharif SHARIFOV (AZE) in the 86kg semifinals at Carioca Arena 2 and then stopped Akgul’s teammate and world silver medalist Selim YASAR (TUR) for the gold medal.

It was Russia’s third gold medal in wrestling at Rio 2016, following victories in Greco-Roman by Roman VLASOV (75kg) and Davit CHAKVETADZE (85kg).

In the bout, Sadulaev erupted for a takedown and gut wrench midway through the first period for a 5-0 lead and made stand throughout the remainder of the bout for the win.

Akgul, meanwhile, capped the evening session with a 3-1 win over Komeil GHASEMI (IRI) for the 125kg crown in a repeat of their 2014 world championship final – also won by Akgul, 4-3.

It was Turkey’s first gold medal of Rio 2016 in wrestling and fifth medal overall won at Carioca Arena 2 – following a silver and bronze in Greco-Roman. European champion Soner DEMIRTAS won the bronze medal at 74kg on Friday, the first night of freestyle finals.

In the super heavyweight showdown, Akgul earned a pair of points off the 30-second “shot clock” and added another step-out point off a leg-attack. In the closing seconds, Ghasemi received a penalty point when Akgul kept dancing away from making contact.

In the bronze medal matches at 86kg, Sharifov and Pedro CEBALLOS FUENTES (VEN) traded “shot-clock” points before the London 2012 gold medalist Sharifov secured a takedown and gut wrench in the final minute for a 5-1 victory.

In the final scramble of a wild seesaw bronze medal match, relative newcomer to the international scene J’den COX (USA) wrapped up a double-leg takedown and dumped Reineris SALAS PEREZ (CUB) to his hip.

The initial call on the mat was no points, but a video review of the action showed that Cox scored two points for a takedown. Salas Perez, however, refused to continue the bout and left the mat, resulting in his disqualification or in a “victory by withdrawal” by Cox at 5:54.

In the bronze medal matches at 125kg, Ibrahim SAIDOV (BLR) shot a head outside single-leg attack midway through the second period for a takedown and a 2-2 win over Levan BERIANIDZE (ARM). Saidov won by scoring the technique of higher value.

In the second final, European champion Geno PETRIASHVILI (GEO) scored a takedown off the whistle and wrapped Tervel DLAGNEV (USA) up for a 10-0 technical fall at 0:31.

Freestyle 86kg (19 entries)

Gold Medal Final

Abdulrashid SADULAEV (RUS) df. Selim YASAR (TUR), 5-0

Bronze Medal Finals

Sharif SHARIFOV (AZE) df. Pedro CEBALLOS FUENTES (VEN), 5-1
J’den COX (USA) df. Reineris SALAS PEREZ (CUB) by Withdrawal, 5:54 (3-1)

Semifinals

Abdulrashid SADULAEV (RUS) df. Sharif SHARIFOV (AZE), 8-1
Selim YASAR (TUR) df. J’den COX (USA), 2-1

Repechage

Pedro CEBALLOS FUENTES (VEN) df. Istvan VEREB (HUN), 7-6
Reineris SALAS PEREZ (CUB) df. Jaime ESPINAL (PUR), 6-4

Freestyle 125kg (20 entries)

Gold Medal Final

Taha AKGUL (TUR) df. Komeil GHASEMI (IRI), 3-1

Bronze Medal Finals

Ibrahim SAIDOV (BLR) df. Levan BERIANIDZE (ARM), 2-2
Geno PETRIASHVILI (GEO) df. Tervel DLAGNEV (USA) by TF, 10-0, 0:31