WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Best Olympic Wrestling Matches

Moderator: JM

Best Olympic Wrestling Matches

Postby jiraffejustin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:55 am

I am pretty new to watching wrestling, but I'm enjoying what I'm seeing. I just don't really know what to watch. I know about the Olympics, World Championships, etc., but I'd like to focus on the Olympics first. I'm not necessarily concerned with watching the actual best wrestlers, but the ones who put on the most exciting matches. There is a lot of the 2012 events on YouTube that I've been watching, but I like to go back further than that if possible. So what are the matches of Olympics past that I should watch? Which wrestlers were the most exciting to watch, whether it be because of an aggressive style or just that they were great scramblers? Also, does anybody know where I can go online to watch the wrestling events of the Rio Olympics?
jiraffejustin
"Newbie"

Re: Best Olympic Wrestling Matches

Postby D3 for LU » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:36 am

Pretty new on these boards, eh?
Welcome to WR.com fora, jirraffejustin.
I don't know if you're a member of FLOPRO on Flowrestling, but I do know that they have archived ABC sports footage of some of the US wrestlers during the '72 Munich Olympic games (Gable, Peterson Brothers, Sanders, Wells, and the BIG Guy, Chris Taylor.)
Even though it's in black & white, it's pretty good stuff.
You can Google a lot of matches on You Tube as well.
As far as Rio, London, Beijing etc... I not sure, but NBC sports has them archived somewhere... you can search using that as a keyword.
I'm sure you are going to be successful, in finding something along those lines.
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby jiraffejustin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm not a member on FLOPRO, but it might be something I take a look at. I'm definitely interested in seeing some Chris Taylor action, as the only thing I've really seen of him was THAT throw. The black and white doesn't bother me at all, one of my main interests is classic cinema, so the black and white is actually an added bonus for me. :D

I was able to find the Helen Maroulis gold medal match on NBC sports last night, and I really enjoyed that, probably because of a hot crowd, palpable tension, high stakes, and high emotion. It clearly felt like an important match, so for somebody like me who won't necessarily appreciate the technical aspect of the sport yet, drama like that is important for me, because it reminds me of the art forms I already have a high appreciation for.
jiraffejustin
"Newbie"

Postby JM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Just my opinion...

Best Olympic wrestling match ever involving an American - Rome 1960 - 160.5 pounds, Freestyle - USA's Doug Blubaugh pins Iran's supposedly unbeatable Emam Ali Habibi in round 5.

Best Olympic wrestling move ever involving an American - Munich 1972 - Heavyweight, Greco - USA's Chris Taylor weighing around 444 pounds against West Germany's 285-pound Wilfred Dietrich. At the start of the 2nd period, Dietrich puts in a double underhook and executes a perfect front souplay to pin Taylor.

Watch these films if you possibly can.
JM
Expert

Postby jiraffejustin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:42 am

I've seen the video of Dietrich dumping Taylor, which is hilarious. The other I haven't been able to find, but I'll look for it some more.

EDIT: After looking for that Habibi/Blubaugh bout on YouTube, it appears that the only footage of it that exists is a clipped up, silent two-minute video. I mean, I'll take what I can get, but it's a shame that more serious care wasn't put into preserving footage of the Olympic games back then. Especially considering that match looked really good, and really "grindy" if that makes sense. I guess back then the refs would allow the wrestlers more time on the ground to go for pins and scoring, and it could make for more boring matches, I'm sure, but in this instance it looked like it actually benefited the quality of the bout because I really enjoy watching two high-level competitors struggle against one another. It might not seem like a lot to most people, but seeing Blubaugh doing everything he could to get Habibi's shoulders down while Habibi bridged the best he could against the American was exciting to me. It's a shame that I can't find any better source of video for that contest, as it could have been a real favorite of mine, I think.
jiraffejustin
"Newbie"

Return to InternationalWrestling