WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Section 2-AA recap

This is for discussing wrestling only.
DO NOT POST coaching jobs, camps, tournament opening, ect. here. There are places for them.

Moderators: Bruce, Mr Blondey

Section 2-AA recap

Postby Mr Blondey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:23 am

"I'm a Gemini"

That's what my friend & bandmate Ronnie from Washington uses to explain away some of the indecsion & equivocation he's used to getting from his trumpeteer (& by default Lead Singer). That's whatcha get for telling the unscientifically inclined yr birthday. Someday I'll mention that in the surprisingly vast amount of time I've spent researching the subject, it seems that historically astrology was a relatively intellectual pursuit, regarding planting times, medical treatments as they vary w/ seasonal change, and cetera. But hey, if you like the paranorml aspect, then don't take my word for it. I'm a Gemini. So maybe I'm lying.

What was section 2 AA like? Typical here-it's the great Charleroi gym & concession stand. It's the poorly run tournament for the fans. But it all comes down to what happens on the mat, the rest is forgettable. Shrouded furniture, sub-reptilian enui, $#!+ fer brains. And the what happened on the mat was cool. Not as strong as last season, but worth seeing nionetheless.

California Area had their last section champ...and then my gramma turned on the news and some semi-respectable nerd was breaking Elvis Presley records because they sounded too black. "I Like Ike" commercial comes on, a few decades pass, and Mr Campbell takes 5th place in 2013 & carries a .500 record into the WPIALs. These one man teams are pretty much always good, pretty much never great, but he is only a freshmen, and word is there are more to come from the buffer zone between Beth-Center & Charleroi. Gives a guy Hope.

Wash Hi fails to advance a single wrestler, and yet it's STILL hard to not be optimistic about their future. Something about the way Coach & team stayed to watch how it all played out. Can't believe I missed the Stay/Rogers match, should have known that a bout between the two hottest heads in the gym would end w/ a DQ.

Mapletown? They came to wrestle. MP always comes to win, and they came close. Buzzsaw Mears was fun at 145, and although the bracket didn't end up being all it could have & I'm not sure even the 6th best guy won, they should represent well next week.

Reffing was a little slow to call stalling on top. Conti was dominant at 170, Overly likewise (well almost) at 182. BC is a tournament team all the way, and it showed. Gavazzi gets challenged by Miller in the finals, he's human afterall!

Can this group be the best like a year ago? Maybe, but they'll have to make some big noise in the consi's. I can't make up my mind about this section's relative strength, to be honest. Indecisive? Well, I'm a Gemini. An unusually intelligent, curious, and handsome Gemini, but being born under the sign of the twins dooms me to schizophrenic opinions. These guys could be the section of prominence, but they may have to crank it up a notch. and since you've all seen the results by now, I'll leave ya with the team scores:

1.Jefferson-Morgan 164.0
2.Mount Pleasant Area 156.0
3.Bentworth 141.5
4.Yough 134.5
5.West Greene 123.0
6.Southmoreland 106.0
7.Bethlehem-Center 102.0
8.Derry Area 90.0
9.Mapletown Southeastern 69.0
10.Jeannette City 34.0
11.Charleroi 32.0
12.Washington 22.0
13.California Area 9.5
Mr Blondey

Location: the end of time (I can see everything from here...)

Re: Section 2-AA recap

Postby Mr Blondey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Turns out a few would like the individual finals afterall, so:

106:Griifiths (SMD) dec. Howard (JM) 4-0

Howard is dominant the entire tournament, then gets shut down by the legs. Riding is too parallel for too long. Way too long. Two takedowns by countering decent firemans attempts.

113:Phillipi(DA) dec. Swarrow (BC) 2-0

Almost the same match as three years ago, Swarrow looking like he's about to get the reversal, then somehow doesn't. Not sure the Derry freshman wins a rematch.

120:Novak (MP) dec. Vickless (Bent) 1-0

Just what it looks like, but Novak keeps it a little more interesting. Evan Myers from Southmoreland upsets Kepple in the quarters & Riley from Mapletown stuffs Botti 7-1--That rematch in the 5th place match goes the other way by fall, when Riley may have been asking for injury time, or indicating that he couldn't breath.

126: Demaske (JM) dec. Vahaly (Bent) 4-0

Vahaly not looking like himself, less explosive on bottom, and not necessarily keeping himself in good position when on defence.

132:Blackmon (WG) dec. Wood (Bent) 1-0

Wade hanging on to a leg for dear life at the end. 5 matches, 5 shut-outs, and then...

138:Gavazzi (Charl) dec. Miller (JM) 10-9

Nick is used to dominating, gets early t.d., allows escape, then his opponent shows a little more effort on the edge of the mat in the next flurry, barely keeps the action in bounds, then wakes the crowd up by forcing the top seed to spend the rest of the period bridging. From there, Charleroi comeback vs. JM on defence, strength may have been the ultimate difference. It ends with another muscular ride for maybe a minute, but the excitement in this one beats the others combined, and sets the tone for:

145:Zalar (JM) dec. Mears (MP) 10-6

Zalar 1-0 over Rogers. Zalar 5-4 over Johnston. Good work on top, but then Austin "The Buzzsaw" Mears shows speed & conditioning for 6 full minutes, forcing Zalar into an offensive battle. Very exciting Anderson from Yough scratches.

152:Charlesworth (MP) dec. Riggle (BC) 12-5

Actually looked like it might go the other way at first, but MP has more in the tank by a whole lot, and it shows

160:Bowlen (JM) dec. Brown (BC) 3-2

A little different form their first meeting, Bowlen stuffs the competition in the 3rd.

170:Conti (JM) pinned Wildman (WG) 1:01

Conti never breaks a sweat all day.

182:Overly (MP) maj.dec. Richardson (Y) 9-0

Richardson bumps a class, and the size difference showed. Overly unstoppable with the cradles.

195:Datz (SMD) dec. Holt (MP) 3-2.

Same old Datz, very frustrating, can't take any situation for granted against him, beats Williams same way & same score in the semi's.

220:Jacobs (WG) dec. Sever (Y) 6-1

Cody peaking at the right time, a little more mobility makes the difference. Sever destroys Fordyce in the semi's.

285:Beistel (SMD) pinned Shumaker (Bent) 2:33

Shumaker is decent, match is scoreless at the time of the fall, but this freshman has not only a great future, but a very solid present. Hard to score on, strong, and intelligent.

Overall, solid tournament for Southmoreland. Darkhorses to watch next week...Mears & Sutton could be interesting, Datz could have an upset or two left in him, Zalar's cradling ways could be trouble for a higher seed, same goes for Overly. Section 1 overall looks hard to top, if you think of the sections as being in competition with each other, but not impossible. Burrell is the favorite, but again, not unbeatable. Hope you all had a chance to try that famous large Charleroi cheesedog..and also a solid effort for Jeannette-not a particularly talented team, but a program that is moving forward, and it showed. Gets even better this weekend!
Mr Blondey

Postby helpmerhonda » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:52 pm

i watched the finals also and asking a serious question about the 106 match ...m b a referee can answer the ? ..y is what griffiths does and especially being that he chokes with the ride he uses any different than riding legs and not trying to turn not stalling ? howard took the only shots and was countered and then 3rd period griffiths puts the choke on the kid and never is even warned for stalling or stalemated not the way i would want my kid to wrestle...love to c these to go at it if stalling would b properly called ..but again can someone please answer this ?
helpmerhonda
"Newbie"

Postby Mr Blondey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Also happy to hear from a ref, but in my opinion, it was much, much stalling. By that same token, JM had trouble with the legs all day, that needs work. But, still just my opinion, Griffiths wrestled well, though was not really working realistic tilts, and got away with uncalled stalling.
Mr Blondey

Postby helpmerhonda » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:12 pm

the ride that he uses is impossible to get out of if he locks his hands...he comes across the throat and chokes ..very very painful and defensless..until a ref calls it for what is ..stalling he will continue to do it ..it is not wrestling
helpmerhonda
"Newbie"

Postby Mr Blondey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:20 pm

Well, the entire team had problems with the legs, not just one guy. Be prepared next time! Calling a situation impossible takes you out of it psychologically. Maybe the ref will see it our way if there is a next time, but be ready in case he doesn't.
Mr Blondey

Postby boknows » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:17 am

I am guessing you are talking about that head and arm ride. The refs have no idea what to do with that. I had one ref give a point to the other kid and never called it illegal. He told me it was PD and that is why he gave the point. That same day I had another ref tell me it is completely legal and the only thing you can call is a stalemate. But if you ask me it is the same as a kid throwing a leg and figure fouring that same leg that is stalling and is never called in high school. Both should be stalling.
boknows
"Newbie"

Postby helpmerhonda » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:26 pm

the howard kid iniciated all the action in the 1st and 2nd period and is rewarded by the ref giving griffiths td at buzzer of 1st period which in my opinion was a questionable td at best y should he b rewarded for doing nothing? he never took a shot...totally changed the match ..griffiths gets a lead and throws the arm and leg ride on and rides and stalls the entire 3 rd period ...if the refs had any balls they would call the stalling ..evey person sitting around me said the same thing ...stalling , boring and no different than riding legs and not working to score that is all he does is ride and stall when he gets the lead... b nice to c what would happen if stalling were called
helpmerhonda
"Newbie"

Return to Pennsylvania