WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

AA-2B tie breaker?

This is for discussing wrestling only.
DO NOT POST coaching jobs, camps, tournament opening, ect. here. There are places for them.

Moderators: Bruce, Mr Blondey

AA-2B tie breaker?

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:41 am

Well we have at least one three-way tie. This one is in Class AA Subsection 2B between Yough, Southmoreland, and Mt. Pleasant. They all are 1-1 against each other. Assuming there were no flagrant violations or penalty points or anything nasty like that in any of the three dual meets, it goes to tie-breaker "d"... total wins. Yough and Mount Pleasant both have 15 and Southmoreland has 12. If (and honestly, I'm not sure) this eliminates Southmoreland from the second place tie-breaker, I assume you then go back to head-to-head and Mt. Pleasant has that one over Yough with a 36-33 win. The Vikings also won 8 of 14 matches in this dual. Do we then break the third place tie between Southmoreland and Yough with head-to-head? If so, Yough wins that one with their big 48-30 win over the Scotties earlier this evening.

If this is correct (and, again, I'm not sure), AA-2B would be...

1. Derry
2. Mt. Pleasant
3. Yough
4. Southmoreland (eliminated)
Rick
Veteran

Re: AA-2B tie breaker?

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Looks like the WPIAL wrestling committee saw it differently...

http://www.wpial.org/stuff/11-12/wr/11- ... ec%202.pdf
Rick
Veteran

Postby Mr Blondey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:39 am

I realize you probably know this, Rick, but here's what I have re tie breaking rules (thanks, JZ) for anyone who wants to investigate:

In the event of a two-way tie for first or second, head to head competition will prevail. A tie of three or more teams will be broken by comparing the head-to-head competition between the tied teams that may result in one or more of the teams demonstrating a higher cumulative total of victories. If the three or more tied teams have identical records against each other, the NFHS tie breaking system (Rule 9-2-2) will be used to break the tie. The same procedure will be used to break a tie for the third place finisher from each subsection.

rule 9-2-2 is below. The language is correct, but doesn't flow in the ways American eyes are used to, so read carefully:

Tie-Breaker System for Dual Meets

In dual-meet competition, if the teams have identical scores, the following tie-breaking system shall be used to determine the winner:

a. The team whose opposing wrestlers or team has been penalized the greater number of team points for flagrant or unsportsmanlike conduct shall be declared the winner.

b. The team whose opposing wrestlers or team personnel have been penalized the greater number of team point deductions shall be declared the winner.

c. The team whose opposing wrestlers were penalized the greater number of match points for unsportsmanlike conduct during a match shall be declared the winner.

d. The team having won the greater number of matches (including forfeits) shall be declared the winner.

e. The team having accumulated the greater number of points for falls, defaults, forfeits, or disqualifications shall be declared the winner.

f. The team having the greater number of points for technical falls shall be declared the winner.

g. The team having the greater number of points for major decisions shall be declared the winner.

h. The team having the greater number (total match points) of first point(s) shall be declared the winner.

i. The team having the greater number of points for near-falls shall be declared the winner.

j. The team having the greater number of takedowns shall be declared the winner.

k. The team having the greater number of reversals shall be declared the winner.

l. The team having the greater number of escapes shall be declared the winner.

m. The team whose opponent has been penalized more often for stalling will be declared the winner.

n. The team whose opponent has been warned more often for stalling will be declared the winner.

o. The team whose opponent has the greater number of points for all other infractions (i.e. false starts)

p. If none of the above resolve the tie, a flip of a disk will determine the winner.

Upon determining the winning team by use of the tiebreaking system, a single team point shall be added to the prevailing team. The method of recording the score in breaking team ties shall be the score followed by the letter of the criterion that broke the tie.
Mr Blondey

Location: the end of time (I can see everything from here...)

Postby Mr Blondey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 am

So, if MP gets an unsportsmanlike in the Yough match, by rule "c", Yough is the winner, then SMD third. I assume that's what happened.
Mr Blondey

Location: the end of time (I can see everything from here...)

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:55 am

What you wrote makes sense, Mr. B. But unfortunately, at this point, it appears that we're both making assumptions.

9-2-2 is meant to break dual meet ties. It's a very confusing method to break a three way tie in the standings.

Rather than speculating any further, I sure would like to know exactly how the WPIAL determined that Mt. Pleasant is the odd team out. I would have to think that somebody from the Vikings' coaching staff received a darned good explanation.
Rick
Veteran

Postby bgregg » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 am

Rick, that is the tie-breaker used by the WPIAL.

In a three-way tie (A>B, B>C, C>A) or larger tie which cannot be broken by the head-to-head results, take all the matches involving the tied teams against each other, and the cumulative numbers from the listed tie-breakers will advance or eliminate a team. Then, as always, revert to head-to-head and start over.
Stay in the middle and work!
bgregg
Expert

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:20 am

Bob, Mr. Blondey,

Greg Warnock was told by the Yough coach that the committee went all the way to "e" to break the 3-way tie in favor of the Cougars. Then they went back to head-to-head to give the nod to Southmoreland over Mt. Pleasant.
Rick
Veteran

Postby bgregg » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Rick, based on your report of Greg's report from the Yough coaches, the WPIAL did exactly what they said they'd do in these circumstances: TB's then h-t-h.
The information that you posted indicates, then that Yough took second by way of more 6-point wins in the duals with SMore & MtPl than those two had.
Stay in the middle and work!
bgregg
Expert

Return to Pennsylvania