WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

It's gone with the wind^^///^^^

This is for discussing wrestling only.
DO NOT POST coaching jobs, camps, tournament opening, ect. here. There are places for them.

Moderators: Bruce, Mr Blondey

It's gone with the wind^^///^^^

Postby cottonswab » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:27 pm

That season is over, now talk about it or what's to be next. Someone recently ask me if I was impressed this year with all that wrestling. : well I told her "yeah?" Great year for the wpial. But we both new that what is important is to be next.

It starts real young. And the ones we saw in March, were the ones we saw since 5 (yr). Same names, weights went horizontally positive, and soon it's over. Our next is 13 years away. Prior to them, its well on its way now. The juniors and below till 6(yr) are going to lose alot of names along the way. But, there will be those ones that make it through those grueling years and finish at the Giant Center, like what happened this and every year. Looking to see what's next has become the fun for me. The ride is amazing.

Stopping and getting off at Harrisburg East is what they all want next
cottonswab
Veteran

Re: It's gone with the wind^^///^^^

Postby bucfan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Well, next year has already started. Burrell has graduated the bulk of it's squad and lost it's three coaches.
Cheering wrestlers on for 20 years
bucfan
Novice

Postby Pepper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:05 am

Burrell had an outstanding season but with 3 coaches not returning and graduating one of the most talented class of senior wrestlers that are the bulk of your team is difficult to replace. Look for a new "top dog" team to emerge and dominate while Burrell rebuilds and turns into a team of select individuals that are successful. Heard Burrell doesn't have the same number of younger wrestlers in the pipeline as they did in the past. Could this be an indication of changing times and the continous decrease in participation in wrestling? Similar to the decline in participation in western pa football? Yet a sudden increase in participation in hockey and soccer which are year round sports?? Who knows...let's hope Burrell rebuilds quickly for the wrestling fans
Pepper
Veteran

Postby jzufall » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:01 am

What three coaches are not returning to Burrell? I assume you mean three coaches that they had last year, not three out of all possible coaches. Are they actually not returning to Burrell, or will they just not be coaching anymore?
jzufall
Novice

Postby wpialbuck » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:15 am

Actually all 4 are gone. Yates resigned and Como, Greeley, and Makara are not coming back.
Whatever you do, do it with INTENSITY!
wpialbuck
Expert

Postby Pepper » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Watching their junior high team and looks like Burrell will have empty weight classes at 103 and maybe 112 and a heavier weight class (215 or 189) next year. They'll have same problem as most teams with majority of wrestlers bunched in the middle weights.
Pepper
Veteran

Postby ghill » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:10 pm

As a coach, you might want to police what your wrestlers {ingest], before a match. Not very discreet, so many eyes.
It may follow them to the next level. Is that not right yates,como.

This would be one reason to step down, the other may be you will not dominate in the WPIAL, let alone the state, for a very long time.
ghill
Novice

Postby counting lights » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:40 pm

ghill, sounds like a pretty big accusation. Care to enlighten us or are you just trying to make them look bad because your little johnny got it handed to him by a Burrell kid.
counting lights
Veteran

Postby Pepper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:02 pm

ghill, please enlighten us or you could be viewed as a fool.
Pepper
Veteran

Postby BucsCoach142 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:16 am

I scoff at the idea of stepping down because Burrell's 'time of dominance' is over. The program is in a good place. The truth is, the reason I originally stepped down was because of my two young children at home (3 and a 1/2 and 16 months) and I know where my priorities lie...with my family. This is why I resigned as the Head Coach in the first place. One of the real reasons I stayed on the coaching staff to this point was to see the young men I coached as freshmen in 2008 through the rest of their careers. I unfortunately missed a lot of the 2010 season because my wife was battling breast cancer and went through a year's worth of treatments and I was at her side through it all. My wife had successfully made it through her treatments and this allowed me to return to a more prominent role back on the coaching staff in 2011. If you care or not, my wife is now cancer-free and her prognosis looks good. You can take shots at us as coaches all you want, ghill, but you haven't walked a mile in my shoes to know what my personal life is like nor do you have an understanding of what I started with when I became the Head Coach back in 1998. We had 8 kids on the roster that year and to turn that around into the success we've had over the last decade required a monumental effort, not to mention time and dedication. Make no mistake, Burrell will continue to succeed. May next year be considered a 'rebuilding' year for the Bucs...possibly? But that is by Burrell standards and there are a bunch of teams that wish they could have the success that Burrell would in a rebuilding year at the apex of their programs. I have definitely seen the ups and downs of our program and I will tell you that the tough times definitely helped define the program moving forward. I have never been the type of coach that coaches for accolades, my only care was for the kids and their success. Our success was the result of selfless people being rewarded for their dedication and efforts. If this is the last that the Burrell Wrestling program has seen of me, then I walk away with my head held high knowing that my dedication to the sport we love helped in some way put the little community of Lower Burrell on the map. Say what you want, the results speak for themselves...Yours in Wrestling ~ Chris Como
BucsCoach142
Novice

Postby counting lights » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:22 pm

Looks like ghill is gone with the wind. Just another hater. Even if Burrell isn't as strong the next few years you can't take away the great accomplishments they have had over the years. A down year for them is only winning the WPIAL. How many titles does your team have ghill.
counting lights
Veteran

Postby llabnroc » Mon May 30, 2011 4:12 am

Does anyone have any predictions (for lack of a better term) as to what wrestlers will be at what weight classes? I'm mainly interested in wpial but I'm also curious about wrestlers across the commonwealth. And has the piaa officially adopted the new weight classes?
llabnroc
Expert

Postby cottonswab » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:46 pm

get this back on top so we can see how people really feel?????
cottonswab
Veteran

Postby Swisher » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:33 am

Burrell is done and they'll be even worse next year. They're not gonna beat CH and if they were they wouldn't stand a chance against JM. They had the talent in years past. Now they just have the name.
Swisher
Novice

Postby BlueJay » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:59 pm

A classy and courageous statement by Coach Como.
BlueJay
Expert

Next

Return to Pennsylvania