WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Mifflinburg Wildcats

This is for discussing wrestling only.
DO NOT POST coaching jobs, camps, tournament opening, ect. here. There are places for them.

Moderators: Bruce, Mr Blondey

Re: Mifflinburg Wildcats

Postby BlueJay » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Am absolutely shocked to have just read on the Sunbury Daily Item website that head coach Dave Murray of the Mifflinburg Wildcats has resigned his position due to family reasons. His resignation comes on the heels of Mifflinburg's most successful season in many, many years; in which they won the sectional, district, and regional championships. They also finished fifth in the AA team standings at "States" with three place winners including AA champ Nazar Mironenko at 285 lbs. During the regular season, the Wildcats also won the Heartland Athletic Conference wrestling championship. Am sorry to have heard such news. It will be interesting to see who takes over. Whoever it will be is going to inherit a wealth of underclassmen talent. All the best to Coach Murray in future endeavors.
BlueJay
Expert

Postby BlueJay » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:41 pm

I have been told that Mifflinburg's fine lightweight Cole Walter took fifth in the Graeco-Roman competition at Fargo, ND and is currently 5-0 in the freestyle competition. Way to go, Cole!
BlueJay
Expert

Postby BlueJay » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:44 pm

It seems the Wildcats lack the team balance they had last year, but still have the Walter brothers and AA state champ Nazar Mironenko at 285. Consequently they are still a very interesting team to watch and will make some noise throughout the season. They are stepping up with the big boys later this week at the Powerade Tournament at Canon-Mac High School. Good luck, Wildcats! Yes, I am back for another season. And yes I am an old guy.

Blue Jay
BlueJay
Expert

Postby BlueJay » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:49 pm

The Wildcats exonerated themselves quite well at this year's Powerade Tournament by taking a third, a fifth, and sixth. Cole Walter finished fifth at 126, Nazar Mironenko--defending AA state champ--took third at 285, and Ty Walter placed sixth. Ty was injured so who knows at this juncture what his status is. He had made it to the semis, before losing 4-0 in that bout. Then he forfeited and defaulted in the wrestle backs. Hope it's not serious.
BlueJay
Expert

Postby BlueJay » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm

i just came back from Mifflinburg where I saw the AA Mifflinburg Wildcats defeat the AAA Shikallemy Braves 37-28. It was a well contested match with each team having many extras weighed in at numerous weights--a real "chess match" so to speak. The final match was the deciding one, as Ty Walter, kicked up from 160 lbs to 182 lbs to register a tech fall and seal the deal for the Wildcats. Walter looks to me that he is ready to make a serious run for high laurels in this year's post-season AA competition. It is also worth mentioning that the Wagner brothers, Cooper and Clark, both got big wins for the Wildcats; as did some other guys such as Noah Kuba, who registered a big fall for "the Cats". A nice win for the Wildcats. The Wildcats next meet Hughesville on Saturday, who will present a real challenge to the Miffs. Go Wildcats! Blue Jay, Class of 1958
BlueJay
Expert

Postby BlueJay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:41 pm

The Mifflinburg Wildcats are in all likelihood non-contenders for a trip to Hershey in the District IV AA dual championships. They have too many weak spots in the line-up, but let's hope the Walter boys, Mironenko, and others carry them to great laurels in the post season. Such a thing is very possible!
BlueJay
Expert

Postby BlueJay » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:28 pm

I was a tough weekend for the Wildcats at the Brookville Ultimate Duals, where they suffered losses to Brookville, Reynolds, Saegertown (all three are excellent AA teams), and AAA Boyertown out of District I. Mifflinburg did, however, win over Hanover of District III. Better days are coming. Go Wildcats.
BlueJay
Expert

Postby BlueJay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Well, I am back posting about the Mifflinburg Wildcats wrestling team. The Wildcats recently took third in the District IV AA PIAA tournament. They copped three first places at 132, 160, and 285. The winners were Cole Walter, Ty Walter, and Nazar Mironenko (defending AA state champ) respectively. Cooper Wagner took fourth at 113 pounds. I suspect the Wildcats just might come out of the Northeast Regional tournament with three champs. Wagner might also qualify for States. The possibility does exist that there are three AA state champs on this team, but we shall see. One must also keep their eyes on Benton which also has some true candidates for AA state championships--including the the likes of Welliver, Retherford, and Cotten. It might just be a banner year for AA District IV.
BlueJay
Expert

Postby BlueJay » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:17 am

After last nights regional quarterfinals, the Mifflinburg Wildcats placed three into the semi-finals scheduled for Saturday morning. Cole Walter (132), Ty Walter (160), and Nazar Mironenko (285) all came away with wins to move into the semis. At 113, Wildcat Cooper Wagner was defeated by Hunt of Warrior Run and will now drop down into the consis seeking to finish third and thereby move on to the "States". Stay tuned.
BlueJay
Expert

Postby mattownmaniac » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:52 am

Keeping my eye on LHU recruit Brad Emerick from Wilkes Barre Coughlin at Heavyweight in NE AAA. He is something like 37-0 and has not been taken out of the first period this year, winning all matches by fall or a handful of forfeits. He should be wrestling the 4th ranked Hwt. IN THE COUNTRY in the regional finals, a kid from Nazareth High. Sounds like an interesting match.

In reading about Emerick I learned that Coughlin has never had a state champion. Hard to believe as it seems like they've been around in scholastic wrestling forever.
mattownmaniac
Veteran

Previous

Return to Pennsylvania