WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

11/20/15 Iowa Beats Maryland

Moderator: GAH

11/20/15 Iowa Beats Maryland

Postby Allen Brown » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:56 pm

TERPS BATTLE HARD IN LOSS TO IOWA
Maryland Athletics
11-20-2015

IOWA CITY, Iowa – Despite winning three of four matches in the middle of the dual, the Maryland wrestling team fell, 36-9, against Iowa at Carver-Hawkeye Arena Friday afternoon.

The Terrapins (1-3, 0-1 Big Ten) picked up momentum after a couple of early losses, but were unable pick up wins late in the dual. Redshirt freshmen Alfred Bannister, redshirt senior Lou Mascola and freshman Brendan Burnham grabbed team points for Maryland.

Bannister improved his record to 6-1 on the season with his win over Logan Ryan at 141 pounds. The La Plata, Md., native completed a quick double leg in the opening round to take a 2-0 lead before a quick Ryan escape. In the second period, Bannister used an impressive slide by to take Ryan to the mat before spinning to gain control.

Bannister used a quick reversal to grab two more points before notching another takedown after Ryan escaped to lock up an 8-5 victory.

At 157 pounds, Mascola took on Edwin Cooper. In the opening period, Mascola got the best of a scramble off a Cooper shot to score the opening takedown. Cooper notched a takedown of his own, but Mascola escaped to make the score 3-3 after one.

Mascola escaped off the bottom to open the second period and then picked the ankle to grab another takedown. A final takedown in the third period gave Mascola an 8-6 decision.

Maryland continued its momentum through a veteran performance from the freshman Burnham at 165 pounds. The Pennsylvania native latched onto a double leg takedown in the first against Burke Paddock. Burnham’s key point in the match was a reversal after a Paddock takedown in the second to make the score 5-3.

Burnham padded the lead in the third with a takedown and earned the riding time point to win 9-5.

In earlier action, sophomore Jhared Simmons wrestled tough against All-American Thomas Gilman, but fell by tech fall. Redshirt sophomore Tyler Goodwin notched a near fall on Cory Clark in the second period of the 133-pound match, but dropped the match by pin.

The Terps return to action Nov. 29 for the Grapple at the Garden. Maryland will take on Illinois at 10 a.m., before facing Hofstra at noon.

#2 Iowa 36, Maryland 9
125 -- #2 Thomas Gilman (I) tech. fall Jhared Simmons (M), 24-7; 5-0
133 -- #2 Cory Clark (I) pinned Tyler Goodwin (M), 4:06; 11-0
141 -- Alfred Bannister (M) dec. Logan Ryan (I), 8-5; 11-3
149 -- #3 Brandon Sorensen (I) maj. dec. Wade Hodges (M), 12-2; 15-3
157 -- #20 Lou Mascola (M) dec. Edwin Cooper, Jr. (I), 8-6; 15-6
165 -- Brendan Burnham (M) dec. Burke Paddock (I), 9-5; 15-9
174 -- #6 Alex Meyer (I) maj. dec. Derrick Evanovich (M), 11-2; 19-9
184 -- #12 Sammy Brooks (I) pinned Mark Colabucci (M), 2:16; 25-9
197 -- #4 Nathan Burak (I) tech. fall Garrett Wesneski (M), 21-5; 30-9
285 -- Sam Stoll (I) won by forfeit; 36-9
-Terps-