WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

No press coverage yet for City League - disappointing...

This is for discussing wrestling only.
DO NOT POST coaching jobs, camps, tournament opening, ect. here. There are places for them.

Moderator: CityLeageRep

No press coverage yet for City League - disappointing...

Postby Jake123456 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:09 pm

No love for the City League?

Well, I must say that it is more than a bit disheartening that the City League gets very little press when it comes to wrestling, if any, from our local papers. From what I have seen, the City has received no coverage at all this season, in stark contrast to the ample amounts for our WPIAL teams (albeit well-deserved). I fully understand that District 8 is not well known for its consistent strength in the sport; however, there are a handful of press-worthy items that can be highlighted from time to time.

With wrestling seemingly increasing in popularity, we are also seeing the rosters of our teams increase as well: Perry (44), Allderdice (30), Carrick (25), Brashear (20) & Obama (18). This is no simple task for coaches to completely fill a roster, with reserves, as wrestling is not one of the more established, premier sports in the city for our youth. We are, however, starting to see some feeder programs develop over the years - Shadyside Boys & Girls Club Dapper Dan Wrestling (thanks to Mr. Kraig Nellis!), (9) middle school programs (although it is a spring season...) and the Homewood-Brushton YMCA, I heard, started a youth program.

So, I strongly believe, the press and its respective sports writers can do better in covering the City League in an effort to further promote & raise the awareness of the sport within the inner-city. As much as I love reading about Belle Vernon, Burrell, Plum & Franklin Regional; I would also like to see the successes and any "human interest" stories out of District 8 pop up once in a while...

Best of luck to all of the City League & WPIAL wrestlers this week in their upcoming contests!
Jake123456
Novice

Return to Pittsburgh City League