WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

City League Wrestling - No support within

This is for discussing wrestling only.
DO NOT POST coaching jobs, camps, tournament opening, ect. here. There are places for them.

Moderator: CityLeageRep

City League Wrestling - No support within

Postby CityLeageRep » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:21 pm

Last week I was at Pitbull wrestling club with a few wrestlers and was talking to a few parents there while they wrestle. I was surprise...I mean very surprised to learn that some parents brought there Pittsburgh Middle School wrestlers to Abe's practice. Usually in the city there is very very little interest in wrestling during the off season for the Junior High wrestlers. While watching these wrestlers bang with some other quality wrestlers I would say there skill levels are even, and that is pretty remarkable if you know anything about Pittsburgh Middle School wrestling. The parents informed me that there kids have be wrestling 5,6, and 7 years through the Boys and Girls clubs located in a few location in Pittsburgh that offer wrestling. They also brought to my attention that they travel very regularly to youth tournament to get there kids some wrestling. THIS WAS EVERYTHING I HOPE FOR AND WAS AMAZED!

Later, I asked what team did there guys wrestle for and I found out that one didnt have a program at there school (Colfax) and another wasn't granted permission to wrestle for a neighboring school (currently still fighting for his kid to wrested in a tug-of-war match with the Cities Athletic Director).

One of the parents told me that he had a talked to the schools principle about getting a team for Colfax Middle School and later that year they received wrestling mat and other items to make the dream come true. The parent attended the coaches meeting hoping to get exhibition matches with the other school until Colfax could get a schedule together for the following season. The request was shot down by D8 athletic director. After the meeting, the AD told the parent to start a wrestling club at Colfax and if there was good interest in having a wrestling team then they would have one the following season. All season about 15 to 25 wrestlers attended the club at Colfax with excitement that there would be a team next season. I wasn't surprise when he told me that the AD didn't hold his end of the deal telling the parent he didnt think Colfax would have the number for a team.

After hearing this I told the parent I would post this and see if the wrestling community has any suggestion on what can be done. Also, are there situation where junior high students can got to other school within the district to participate in sports that school doesn't have.

Currently the parents kid wrestles with the Boys and Girls club and attends pitbull regularly.
move over district 8 is here
CityLeageRep
Expert

Re: City League Wrestling - No support within

Postby singlelegstar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:46 pm

I'm not sure of a solution to this problem but this is ridiculous. The principle at Colfax should reconsider their thoughts about a wrestling program. It is just like any other sports team, gives the kids exercise, lets the children make friends and most of all KEEPS EVERYONE OUT OF TROUBLE. The inner city schools have a problem with behavior all the time, this would be a good way to instill some discipline and dedication in the youth of our great city. Having been a coach at the Sto Rox Boys and Girls Club wrestling program, I have seen this all first hand. The kids who choose not to wrestle or those who have quit the wrestling program anre the ones usually in the directors office most of the time. We don't put up with much but we give the kids the choice to make the right decisions and most of the time they choose to stay because they realize they love the sport as we all do. The only advice I can give this parent is keep sending your kids to the Boys and Girls Club program, they have good coaches who care to make a difference in your childs life. Shame on the principal of Colfax for their doings. It is people like them who hold the city back just that little bit that might make a difference in the end. I think every city school should have a program, even at the elementary level like all the WPIAL schools do. As the city progresses, we need all the support we can get. If you are a current city league wrestler, I'd advise you to go and help out at your middle school or closest community center. You help kids that really appreciate what you are doing for them, while at the same time getting a little practice yourself LOL.

As the city moves forward, I am supporting 150%!!!!!
The Champ is back
singlelegstar
Novice

Postby CityLeageRep » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:10 am

I was told the Colfax principle did what they could...They got the mats from Rooney Middle School and it was out of her hand from there. It all comes down to the AD and I point the finger at him.
move over district 8 is here
CityLeageRep
Expert

Postby Speedy--> » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Its a shame.... on top of that the city can really do something about this but they choose not to. sad. :(
Speedy-->
Novice

Postby roos » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:50 pm

I have to agree with you Mr. City League. I'm working with several kids at my school due to their H.S. only having practice Mon-Thurs and no tournaments. How can this be allowed? Quite shameful and you know what school I'm talking about. These kids can make it to states but the bottom line is if you don't get mat time and tournaments you'll never reach your potential. I applaud the other teams who practice and get to tournaments. Do you know if kids who want to wrestle in the West Mifflin and or Allegheny Counties can wrestle unattached. These kids want to wrestle but their coach will not even practice a full week let alone enter the team in a tournament. Good Luck and if the kids need a place to practice let me know. Coach R
roos
Novice

Postby Lala22 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:39 am

CaRrick is looking goods dis year they have a team with lots of talent looking to make upsets i predict if all wrestlers stay out of trouble breasher and caarrick n the championship dis tear langley upset and perry jenings is done.........

http://www.stanford.edu/
http://www.test-king.com/vendor-VMware.htm
http://www.smith.edu/
http://test-king.com
http://mispp.edu/
Lala22
"Newbie"

Return to Pittsburgh City League