WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Schalles-Chatman video

This is for discussing wrestling only.
DO NOT POST coaching jobs, camps, tournament opening, ect. here. There are places for them.

Moderators: Bruce, Mr Blondey

Schalles-Chatman video

Postby Spladle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:11 pm

I recall watching a video of the memorable Wade Schalles-John Chatman 1969 PIAA final. Does anyone know what site has it?? Thanks
Spladle
Veteran

Re: Schalles-Chatman video

Postby Allen Brown » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:30 pm

^^^There was black and white footage of that PIAA final at Rec Hall that was included in the Nugent Productions Documentary "Pennsylvania Wrestling Legends" that was produced about 1997. Bruce Closson used to have that 55 minute production posted on WR.com, but I don't think it's on WR.com any longer. If you're interested in buying a copy of "PA Wrestling Legends," you might contact Larry Nugent out at USAWrestling in Colo Springs.
Allen Brown

Postby Spladle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks - I used to subscribe to Bruce's WPIAL Wrestling.net and you're right - that's where I saw it. At 60 years old my mind blanks out now and then !!!!!!
I Googled Chatman and Schalles but no luck. I told a guy just yesterday about the video and he couldn't believe it existed. I promised him I'd email the site to him but now I guess I'll have to buy it or see if Bruce still has it on his premium site.
Spladle
Veteran

Postby Allen Brown » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:06 pm

^^^I know Larry Nugent has copies of "PA Wrestling Legends" that has the final couple minutes of that Schalles' bout. Because this is NOT a USA Wrestling matter, I do not want to post his office phone number out at USA Wrestling in Colorado Springs. (Their general office number should be posted somewhere on their site.)

In that bout Chatman was ahead and, about half way thru the bout, Chatman had Schalles' leg up in the air, and, instead of trying to bring him to the mat and wrestle, Chatman walked Schalles out of bounds. Sounded like many fans in Rec Hall booed that Chatman move. When Chatman was on top of Schalles near the end of the bout, with Schalles losing, Schalles, from the bottom, double underhooked Chatman and using leg elevator took Chatman completely over onto his back and pinned him. Double underhook to elevator from bottom - quite unorthodox, but that's Wondrous Wade Schalles.

Anyway, the crowd erupted in cheers, and after the bout ends, there's footage of Schalles and then Holidaysburg head coach Chuck Jackson hugging. Incredible.

Wade Schalles, as youns know, now lives in Montgomery County, MD. I see him at area college meets involving the Naval Academy. In fact, on 1/8/10 he helped broadcast the Navy at American University dual meet, that now is archived (pay-per-view) on the American University athletic site. -Allen
Allen Brown

Postby Spladle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Allen, at the time of that match I was a student at Oklahoma U. in Norman. That night me amd some friends were in our dorm listening to the Big 8 (now Big 12) Championsips on the radio. But, my brother was at Rec Hall that night (I still have his PIAA Program too) and he called me long distance (the good old days) to tell me that Chatman got pinned. It was a big deal to us because we graduated from Canon-Mac (now home to Powerade), one of Trinity's big rivals and Chatman, to EVERYONE, was unbeatable, so we thought.
Spladle
Veteran

Postby Allen Brown » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:12 pm

^^^Oh yes, Chatman was THE MAN going into the PIAA's. Absolutely favored to win and some fans claimed he was the best high school wrestler in the state. Chatman was a fabulous athlete, who also was a Big 33 PA selection. I think he played linebacker to Trinity, before going on to the Univ of Pittsburgh.
Allen Brown

Postby d » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:11 pm

I was searching for a link to this same video earlier today and this discussion thread came up.
I know it's about 5-1/2 years late, but better late than never? here's a link to the black and white video: (enjoy)

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0 ... t-901&fp=1
d
Veteran

Postby sarwanov » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:49 pm

I had one site but it was hacked.Now I don't have anything
http://www.soran.edu.iq
sarwanov
"Newbie"

Return to Open High School