WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

South Beach Duals

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Re: South Beach Duals

Postby Ranger123 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:00 pm

I agree with RB. I'm not reading too much into the Yianni loss. He was up 5-3 with :30 and gave up a 6 point move. Bottom line is he is no doubt as good as anyone in the country. If he is healthy and ready to go in March he could win it all and should no doubt pull an AA.

Bigger concerns are definitely Russo and Womack. Is Russo ok? With no backup there we gotta have him. And wonder if Womack is 100%. Just doesn't seem to be himself at all so far this season.
Ranger123
Novice

Postby scribe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:18 pm

Womack is a wrestler who relies on mental strength for some lack of natural ability . This season he has been adding lose to his mental arsenal.
scribe
Expert

Postby 9inesoft » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:38 pm

Womack is illin’, a break and rest will do the trick.
9inesoft
Novice

Postby klehner » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:57 pm

9inesoft wrote:Womack is illin’, a break and rest will do the trick.

So he's been sick for 1.5 months now? Seems odd. Haven't seen him wrestle a strong seven minutes since Bearcat.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby 9inesoft » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:45 pm

klehner wrote:
9inesoft wrote:Womack is illin’, a break and rest will do the trick.

So he's been sick for 1.5 months now? Seems odd. Haven't seen him wrestle a strong seven minutes since Bearcat.

Yes.
9inesoft
Novice

Postby JDALU75 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:39 pm

scribe wrote:At least from a Cornell perspective on the decline of the Scuffle, I am guessing Koll is looking to reduce the number of bouts for some of the starters. The downside to not being at the Scuffle, is Koll can't use it anymore to decide starters for the heart of the season.

One of the arguments for duals over tournaments is that you can control your opposition more. When you enter a tournament you never know how many opponents your wrestlers will see, nor do you know how tough the opponents will be. In many tourneys they may not even be collegiate opponents, let along Div I, so your guys' RPI and CR aren't helped. By scheduling duals you avoid the randomness of tournaments. This is what I hear, anyway.

So four EIWA teams made the trip to South Beach and wrestled 15 duals (Binghamton and F&M wrestled each other), 150 bouts. 13 were forfeits one way or the other. Binghamton avoided some forfeits by bumping a 174-pounder up to 197. Even if you're scheduled against a major team, like a Big 10 team, you may see forfeits because many of those squads have numerical roster limits imposed on them. Makes you wonder how much control you really have over your team's opponents.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby NJDan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Yesterday, you could see the Friday matches for free. But the Saturday matches are still blocked.

Does anyone know if it will stay that way forever.
NJDan
Expert

Postby ugarte » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:35 pm

scribe wrote:Womack is a wrestler who relies on mental strength for some lack of natural ability . This season he has been adding lose to his mental arsenal.

I hope 9inesoft is right that he's sick but I disagree about what made Womack an AA last year. He is a wrestler that relies on physical strength to make up for technical shortcomings. At 174 he's simply not stronger than the competition. If memory serves he has no memorable wins at 174 (Berryesa is probably the best guy he faced at Bearcat) and since the Bearcat he's been winning close when he isn't losing.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Postby machine158 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:40 pm

It may not be just a sickness for Womack. There may be injury involved as well. You never know what these athletes are dealing with during the season. Hopefully he will be ready for Lehigh! :)
"It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan....if you like 2nd place"
machine158
Veteran

Postby Red Blades » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:08 pm

machine158 wrote: Hopefully he will be ready for Lehigh!

We could say that about a few guys!

And speaking of the evil Mountain Buzzards - anyone else notice #1 seed Scotty Parker took first round loss at the Scuffle today? The Buzzards have been looking pretty tough out of the gate, but maybe showing a little wear and tear?
Red Blades
Expert

Postby scribe » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:05 pm

ugarte wrote:
scribe wrote:Womack is a wrestler who relies on mental strength for some lack of natural ability . This season he has been adding lose to his mental arsenal.

I hope 9inesoft is right that he's sick but I disagree about what made Womack an AA last year. He is a wrestler that relies on physical strength to make up for technical shortcomings. At 174 he's simply not stronger than the competition. If memory serves he has no memorable wins at 174 (Berryesa is probably the best guy he faced at Bearcat) and since the Bearcat he's been winning close when he isn't losing.

He’s strong. But that does not appear to be his go to asset to my eye. We could agree to disagree. Wrestling is a mental sport and I see two different Womack’s from last year to this. You could make an argument for strength with that in mind.
scribe
Expert

Postby dsims » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:09 am

Although I haven't seen Yianni's loss, I did watch the interview and came away impressed. First, he lost by being aggressive. That's much better than losing by being too passive. Second, he was wrestling a top 5 guy and wasn't satisfied with a 3 point win. That is a quality you can't teach. Last, he already realizes his mistake, in that if you have a late lead you don't have to be passive but you have to be smarter. He mentioned how he can still shoot but it has to be quality shots, or keep great positioning.

He's going to learn from this mistake and will be a multiple champion. I'll never predict that a freshman will win nationals but I likes Yianni's chances.
dsims
Veteran

Postby Ranger123 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:08 pm

dsims wrote:Although I haven't seen Yianni's loss, I did watch the interview and came away impressed. First, he lost by being aggressive. That's much better than losing by being too passive. Second, he was wrestling a top 5 guy and wasn't satisfied with a 3 point win. That is a quality you can't teach. Last, he already realizes his mistake, in that if you have a late lead you don't have to be passive but you have to be smarter. He mentioned how he can still shoot but it has to be quality shots, or keep great positioning.

He's going to learn from this mistake and will be a multiple champion. I'll never predict that a freshman will win nationals but I likes Yianni's chances.

Definitely my pick. All around amazing young man.
Ranger123
Novice

Postby klehner » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Red Blades wrote:
machine158 wrote: Hopefully he will be ready for Lehigh!

We could say that about a few guys!

And speaking of the evil Mountain Buzzards - anyone else notice #1 seed Scotty Parker took first round loss at the Scuffle today? The Buzzards have been looking pretty tough out of the gate, but maybe showing a little wear and tear?

They have MFFs left and right today.

Cruz finals.
Parker DNP (!!!).
Karam MFF to 6th.
Schuyler MFF.
Brown 7/8.
GFW Consi semis.
Longo 7/8.
Kutler finals.
Ammerman MFF.
Weiler DNP.
Jakobsen 7/8 (with a injured leg?)
Wood MFF (to Nevills).
Colluci DNP.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:24 pm

^^^ Brutal day today for the Mountain Birds but hopefully most, if not all, of those MFF's are precautionary. Lehigh is in third place going into medal rounds with 5 matches remaining, UNI looks to have 2nd pretty well locked up. Navy 9 points behind Lehigh with three consi matches remaining.

Thinking that maybe Rob made the smart call going to Florida instead of Chattanooga this year?
Red Blades
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cornell