WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net
 

Honis vs. Darmstadt

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby fish58 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:45 pm

I have to assume Honis is winning inside the practice room. Anybody have any thoughts or information?
fish58
Novice
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:55 am

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby machine158 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:43 am

fish58 wrote:I have to assume Honis is winning inside the practice room. Anybody have any thoughts or information?


That's probably a very good assumption. :)
"It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan....if you like 2nd place"
machine158
Veteran
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby Mat Rat2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:33 am

Probably not over yet but I think your assumption pre Vegas is correct. The good news is the Big Red has tremendous depth depth at 197 both these guys are really tough. Honis wrestle well in Vegas. I was surprised how much bigger he looked than Ohio State's #1 ranked Moore in the 5-3 QF loss.

I also think Sweany had the "official" edge over Darmstadt pre Vegas at 285. There was talk of moving Darmstadt or Honis up but I have to say Sweany wrestled very well in Vegas, as good as I have seen him wrestle. He may not give up the spot as easily as some have suspected.

Honis is the bigger of the two 197 guys so some think he would be the logical guy to move up but in all fairness if he is the better guy at 197 , however so slight, he will likely get the spot. When I say bigger I don't mean taller obviously just bigger. Again, Sweany looks like he will have something to say about all this. As tough as it is to have two quality guys at the same weight so close, the in the room competition is usually good, although not with out challenges, for the end product.

More to come for sure.
Last edited by Mat Rat2 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mat Rat2
Expert
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby tjhart » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:51 am

Assume that Honis does get the best of Darmstadt in the room. Assume that he even dominates. Does that automatically mean that the team is best served by Honis representing the team in tourneys and in duals? If it is Honis' familiarity with the funk of Darmstadt that gives him the edge, does it follow that an unfamiliar wrestler would lack that edge.

I am well aware of the idea that winning in the room earns the reward of taking the mat on game day, but does it always serve the best interest of the team?
tjhart
Veteran
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby Mat Rat2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 am

Your point is very well taken.

However, when the on mat performance is close Rob has used wrestle offs (rightly so IMO) to settle the issue.

I really like both these guys and I think either is capable of making the podium this year at197.
Mat Rat2
Expert
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby klehner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:06 am

Ha. Darmstadt has a higher match power (points per match, more or less) than Bo Nickal, and is fourth in the country in pins.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/statistical
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby Mat Rat2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 am

I am a Cornell fan but I'll take Bo :wink: :wink: I know, I know
Mat Rat2
Expert
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby klehner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:11 am

Mat Rat2 wrote:I am a Cornell fan but I'll take Bo :wink: :wink: I know, I know


More silly facts: while all of Darmstadt's 10 pins have been in the first period, all 5 of Nickal's pins have been in the first *minute*.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby tjhart » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Since, on the surface he looks like a better scorer--more capable of pins and MDs, does it seem wise to cherry pick the weaker wrestlers and let Darmstadt go against them in duals?
That would leave the better wrestlers as opponents for Honis, and while their results would be markedly different, he (Honis) would also benefit from the experience and be better prepared for the NCAAs. (And, Yes, I know his seeding would probably suffer.)
tjhart
Veteran
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby Red Blades » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:31 pm

tjhart wrote:while their results would be markedly different, he (Honis) would also benefit from the experience and be better prepared for the NCAAs. (And, Yes, I know his seeding would probably suffer.)


Not just seeding - he also has to qualify. Yes, I know he can "steal" a slot at EIWA's, but his odds are better if he's also earned another slot for the conference. Remember Baughman's issues last year?

Interesting problem for Rob Koll - I'm glad he's the head coach, and not me! :P
Red Blades
Expert
 
Posts: 6063
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: Bloomfield, NJ

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby fish58 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:42 pm

tjhart wrote:Assume that Honis does get the best of Darmstadt in the room. Assume that he even dominates. Does that automatically mean that the team is best served by Honis representing the team in tourneys and in duals? If it is Honis' familiarity with the funk of Darmstadt that gives him the edge, does it follow that an unfamiliar wrestler would lack that edge.

I am well aware of the idea that winning in the room earns the reward of taking the mat on game day, but does it always serve the best interest of the team?


I am in agreement with TJ. Maybe Ben is more susceptible to getting caught out of position because of his aggressiveness but give him the matches against quality opponents now so he can correct those issues before the NCAA's.
fish58
Novice
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:55 am

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby ugarte » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:54 pm

I don't think the lineup at 197 will be totally settled for another couple of months. Even if Honis is winning in the room, if he is disappointing in competition Darmstadt will get his shot. I don't think we are seeing anything in the results that Koll is missing.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert
 
Posts: 1409
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:00 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby machine158 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:31 pm

tjhart wrote:Assume that Honis does get the best of Darmstadt in the room. Assume that he even dominates. Does that automatically mean that the team is best served by Honis representing the team in tourneys and in duals? If it is Honis' familiarity with the funk of Darmstadt that gives him the edge, does it follow that an unfamiliar wrestler would lack that edge.

I am well aware of the idea that winning in the room earns the reward of taking the mat on game day, but does it always serve the best interest of the team?


A choice of the wrestler on the losing side of a wrestle off (as a starter) can be demoralizing to the winner and may affect the motivation of the rest of the team. Peraonally, I would even have difficulty taking the position if I could not win the wrestle off. If I cannot take care of business in the room...not sure I could look my teammate in the eye if I am "given" the spot.
"It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan....if you like 2nd place"
machine158
Veteran
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby ugarte » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:37 pm

this weekend was interesting huh?
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert
 
Posts: 1409
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:00 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Honis vs. Darmstadt

Postby ugarte » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:44 pm

After torching Miklus, Darrmstadt jumped into the top 10 in 4 out of 5 ratings services and is sitting at 15 in WIN.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert
 
Posts: 1409
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:00 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Next

Return to Cornell

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], JDALU75, trimanmatfan and 5 guests