WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

T-Nick to Binghampton

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

T-Nick to Binghampton

Postby NJDan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:49 am

Mysterious mid-season resignation by Head Wrestling Coach Matt Dernlan.

They say they will do a national search. Wouldn't Troy Nickerson fill in nicely? Dake would, too, but he's still competing.
NJDan
Expert

Re: T-Nick to Binghampton

Postby NY Fan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Checked the salaries. Troy was hired four years ago at $61K. Dernlan made $109K in 2016 and BU seems committed to the wrestling program. Money isn't everything but it doesn't hurt. He would be great for the program.

By the way, its "Binghamton" without the "P." We are a long way from the Hamptons.
NY Fan
Novice

Postby Mat Rat2 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:58 am

No idea what is going on in Binghamton but on the surface seems like Troy would be a great fit.
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby seawolf » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:46 am

Wow. Nickerson seems like a great idea. Hmmm, almost don’t want him so close and competing for state talent!! Ha! But actually want the best for him. One of, if not the, favorite Cornell wrestlers of mine. Such an Arsenal.
seawolf
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:08 am

Nickerson's dental practice is thriving why would he want to coach wrestling?
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby Legger » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:42 am

thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:Nickerson's dental practice is thriving why would he want to coach wrestling?

**** the long term financial of abdental practice is great but some never lose the wrestling juices.
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Troy is such a class act, he'd be an asset to ANY D-1 program - great technician, and understands how to balance academics and athletics.

I have to say, I don't really understand what is going on at Binghamton, but whatever has happened that lead to this abrubt departure - I hope they get things worked out and keep moving forward.
Red Blades
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:41 am

seawolf wrote:Wow. Nickerson seems like a great idea. Hmmm, almost don’t want him so close and competing for state talent!! Ha! But actually want the best for him. One of, if not the, favorite Cornell wrestlers of mine. Such an Arsenal.

Ditto SW

In addition to the obvious, what a great potential recruiter, a legend. I read somewhere that Binghamton's (SUNY) 9.9 allotment is based on NYS residents so that is a bit restricting. Another factor in NYS recruitment is the potential free tuition for in State residents that would balance that a bit. I do not pretend to understand how the numbers work in the recruiting world, looks like some + and - here. Troy is a smart guy I am guessing he could figure it out.

Troy certainly also has national recruiting attraction combing his fantastic wrestling history and experience at Iowa State as an assistant for Kevin Jackson and at Northern Colorado as the head coach.

I would not want to be the "other" guys in the interview room. :D
Mat Rat2
Expert

Return to Cornell