WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Rob Koll's CKLV UpDate

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Rob Koll's CKLV UpDate

Postby Red Blades » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:26 am

My apologies for the delay in sending out my Las Vegas update. I had planned on sending it out immediately upon our return however this was impossible because I never bothered to write it. Therefore there really was nothing I could do and I can’t be held responsible for the delay.

If you are interested in bout by bout results go to: http://cornellbigred.com/news/2017/12/1 ... nvite.aspx. My update will focus on the team, where we are, and what we need to do to compete at a higher level. The team is currently in the throes of a typically brutal Cornell finals period. During this time we practice from 11:30-1:00. Practices run short and sweet and I am thankful to have 70% of the team at any time. Guys who are unable to work out usually stagger in after hours to run or drill off an exam. As a Carolina graduate I really don’t understand the phenomena. Finals for me meant I got to sleep in because we didn't have classes!

I am pleased with the progress we’ve made thus far but obviously not satisfied. We started out ranked 32nd and have worked our way anywhere from 12th to 17th. Although I try to not get too caught up in rankings they are a bellwether to where we stand. At the beginning of this season we knew our success would be driven by the development of wrestlers whose names had never graced the starting line-up. Thankfully this crew has done more than answered the call.

125 We feared we would have to forfeit the weight class when Noah Baughman moved up to 133. Mike Russo has been nothing less than outstanding since making the pull from 133. Mike has become one of our more dependable wrestlers and he has already defeated two top 20 wrestlers! Despite his success and his obvious intelligence, (he choose Cornell), Mike can be a little scatter brained. After Mike suffered his first defeat of the year at the Vegas tournament, Mike decided to go make weight. The only problem was that he had to wrestle one of more matches that night! When we finally found Mike he was close to weight but also very much out of gas. Not long after that Mike suffered his second loss of the year! We will chalk that one up to creating a great “Remember the time Russo…” story.

133 Chas Tucker could as easily be undefeated as easily at 10-4. He has knocked off some great opponents and three of his four losses were in OT and the other one was by a point. I sincerely believe Chas can beat anyone in the country. I also believe he can lose to lesser opponents if he doesn’t increase his pace. He doesn’t get tired so this should not be a problem. Either way this is a weight class that was considered a “hole”. It is anything but a weakness for the Big Red and I am certain it will be considered a strength in the second semester.

141 Not sure I need to say anything about Yianni Diakomihalis, other than “I told you so”. Yianni is great in every position, but like many freshman, can improve off the bottom.

149 Jon Furnas has a 10-4 record and we expect more. He is strong on his feet but needs to increase his tempo. He always wrestles better in the second semester and I have no reason to doubt this will continue to be the case.

157 Freshman Adam Santoro has emerged as the frontrunner at this weight class after an impressive NY State Intercollegiate championship. At Las Vegas he displayed signs of brilliance, but quickly painted over these signs with youthful carelessness! Adam has a great offensive arsenal but needs to learn that a little patience will lead to opportunity.

165 Jon Jay Chavez has been around campus for three years so it’s gratifying to see him finally brining home some victories. Jon Jay is 10-3 and placed 8th at Las Vegas. 8th place was not our goal but Jon Jay put himself in the position to place much higher. Moving forward he needs to fix a couple annoying Greco habits that are keeping him from scoring. His biggest problem is how easily he gives up his legs. This is not a problem in Greco but obviously not ideal in folkstyle. He is fixing this problem, plus a couple other little things. With the fixes he will be a serious All-American candidate.

174 Brandon has uncharacteristically struggled in a couple matches. I think he simply is putting a little too much pressure on himself after earning All-American honors last year. This isn’t all that uncommon and I am not particularly worried. He has looked great in practice this weekend and I believe he just needs a couple wins to remember just how good he really is.

184 Max Dean made a couple mistakes that cost him dearly. Max wrestles about as hard as anyone who has ever entered the Cornell wrestling room. That being said his aggressive nature opens him up and he has a habit of giving up points early in matches. Big Brother has been addressing this issue on a daily basis and I don’t see how it could possibly continue.

197 Ben Honis went 2-2 and dnp. Ben had a tough draw but we expect Ben to make good out of bad. Ben is a great in the 3rd period, good in the 2nd and average in the 1st. Our goal for the second semester is to make the 1st period his best friend. Once we get this fixed he will be a beast!

285 Jeramy Sweney has been out all season with an injury. We expected for Jeramy to wrestle a couple matches to work himself back into sharp. Jeramy did more than that, placing 8th, winning 5 matches in the process. It is great to see Jeramy wrestling with enthusiasm and aggression. Jeramy hasn’t put on a great deal of weight from last year but he is considerably stronger.

We travel to Buffalo on Monday evening before sending the team home for the break. We bring them back to Fort Lauderdale on the 27th for the South Beach Duals. At the Duals we face Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota and Kent State. After the Duals we will stay and train in Florida for a couple days before returning to Ithaca.

That’s all for now.

All the best, Rob
Red Blades
Expert

Re: Rob Koll's CKLV UpDate

Postby klehner » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:37 am

I count five potential All-Americans according to this. Movin' on up from four...
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:13 pm

klehner wrote:I count five potential All-Americans according to this. Movin' on up from four...

Klehner, who ya got?

I see it Yianni as likely high AA, after that, Chavez, Womack and Dean as possible, but still some work to do. 197, either Ben? I'm still not sure how far Russo or Tucker are capable of going, but I think it's safe to say they should qualify, and probably get a win or two. Sweany? He had a pretty good outing at CKLV. Is he ready to kick it up a notch this year?

I'm still not sure how far some of these guys can go, and with no Scuffle this year - will be hard to get an early sense of how they stack up against top 8 competition.

Maybe we'll just have to wait until March to find out how good they really are? :wink:
Red Blades
Expert

Postby klehner » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Red Blades wrote:
klehner wrote:I count five potential All-Americans according to this. Movin' on up from four...

Klehner, who ya got?

I see it Yianni as likely high AA, after that, Chavez, Womack and Dean as possible, but still some work to do. 197, either Ben? I'm still not sure how far Russo or Tucker are capable of going, but I think it's safe to say they should qualify, and probably get a win or two. Sweany? He had a pretty good outing at CKLV. Is he ready to kick it up a notch this year?

I'm still not sure how far some of these guys can go, and with no Scuffle this year - will be hard to get an early sense of how they stack up against top 8 competition.

Maybe we'll just have to wait until March to find out how good they really are? :wink:

Rob Koll said "I sincerely believe Chas can beat anyone in the country." To me, that counts as All American :-)

Just going by what Rob says, not what I think. I'm not that smart.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Return to Cornell