WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Vegas

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Re: Vegas

Postby ugarte » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:48 pm

Sweany, down 2-0 in the first period he gets top after injury time and turns Stencel for the fall!

Honis and Caywood go to rideouts. Honis can't get out; Caywood can. Honis out, 2-1.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:51 pm

Well Sweaney turned in some good performances today which is good news. That loss for Ben hurts on a number of levels including EIWA seedings.

Overall, some ups and downs in a tough tourney. A lot of our new starters will gain a lot from this experience.

So if I have this right, we have YD, Sweaney and Chavez left? Not sure you want that many kids not wrestling the next day in Vegas :roll:
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby ugarte » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:56 pm

HatchetJack wrote:
So if I have this right, we have YD, Sweaney and Chavez left? Not sure you want that many kids not wrestling the next day in Vegas :roll:

And Dean.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Postby redrover » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:00 am

Why did Sweeny start on top after he got taken down and then stopped for injury time?
redrover
Novice

Postby ugarte » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:02 am

redrover wrote:Why did Sweeny start on top after he got taken down and then stopped for injury time?

I assume Stencel chose bottom to take the escape away from Sweany and for himself.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:04 am

I just assumed flow screwed the feed up and I missed something but u r correct. No explanation given but once on top he planks the kid.

Well Dean has Foster tomorrow first match. Chavez as Deprez which is winnable.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby machine158 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:47 am

redrover wrote:Why did Sweeny start on top after he got taken down and then stopped for injury time?

When a wrestler takes injury time...his opponent gets choice of starting position.
Last edited by machine158 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan....if you like 2nd place"
machine158
Veteran

Postby klehner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:59 am

ugarte wrote:Sweany, down 2-0 in the first period he gets top after injury time and turns Stencel for the fall!

Honis and Caywood go to rideouts. Honis can't get out; Caywood can. Honis out, 2-1.

I think Sweany took a head to the chin and went down like a fallen tree. He signaled injury time when he hit the floor.

From top, the guy tried a roll and Sweany sort of landed on him head-to-feet and somehow held him down in that position.

Cornell guys lost to some very good wrestlers. Russo to #10 seed, Tucker to #3 and #8, Santoro #8 and #7, Chavez to #2, Dean to #3, Honis to #1.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:50 am

klehner wrote:Cornell guys lost to some very good wrestlers. Russo to #10 seed, Tucker to #3 and #8, Santoro #8 and #7, Chavez to #2, Dean to #3, Honis to #1.

Cornell is sitting 9th in the team score right now, with 4 left - Yianni in semis, Chavez, Sweany, and Dean in consis. I hate to say it, but I'm mildly disappointed; this reflects more to how spoiled I've become as a fan, however, than on the team effort yesterday. As you note, Klehner, a number of those losses were to some very tough opponents.

Big match for Yianni coming up, and this may give us a better read on where he really should be ranked. Gotta root for the other three on the back side; top 5 finish looks out of reach, but maybe 7th or 8th? That would be a pretty decent showing for a very young team!
Red Blades
Expert

Postby scribe » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:21 am

I don’t mind a shitty Vegas at all. It’s early so what happens in Vegas stays there.

I do hope Womack isn’t making losing a habit tho. And I think Darmstadt should have went so that we could get a good look at him against a variety of top wrestlers.
scribe
Expert

Postby machine158 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:25 am

Red Blades wrote:
klehner wrote:Cornell guys lost to some very good wrestlers. Russo to #10 seed, Tucker to #3 and #8, Santoro #8 and #7, Chavez to #2, Dean to #3, Honis to #1.

Cornell is sitting 9th in the team score right now, with 4 left - Yianni in semis, Chavez, Sweany, and Dean in consis. I hate to say it, but I'm mildly disappointed; this reflects more to how spoiled I've become as a fan, however, than on the team effort yesterday. As you note, Klehner, a number of those losses were to some very tough opponents.

Big match for Yianni coming up, and this may give us a better read on where he really should be ranked. Gotta root for the other three on the back side; top 5 finish looks out of reach, but maybe 7th or 8th? That would be a pretty decent showing for a very young team!

This next consolation round is big. Would be nice if we can get all three on the stand. Have been reviewing Flo Video. Our guys look good. Almost all of the losses were winnable matches. Even the Sweany loss to Kasper though it was 4 to 0....only gave up 1 actual point. The rest were questionable penalty points.

Im actually encouraged with the team overall. A bit concerned about Bama though.
"It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan....if you like 2nd place"
machine158
Veteran

Postby klehner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:16 pm

scribe wrote:I don’t mind a shitty Vegas at all. It’s early so what happens in Vegas stays there.

I do hope Womack isn’t making losing a habit tho. And I think Darmstadt should have went so that we could get a good look at him against a variety of top wrestlers.

Let's be honest. Coming into this season, having graduated six starters and three AAs, what should have been the Cornell fan's expectation? Who might have guessed that Russo, Tucker, and Chavez would be at the level they have shown so far? We'd have guessed that Yianni would be outstanding, and nothing else at that level. Could Baughman make 125? What would happen to Womack up a weight class? Would we ever see Sweany again? Even Darmstadt and Dean were still not proven against top-level competition (and the former remains in that category).

I was fully expecting an uninspiring but future-hopeful season, and am nothing short of pleased with the excitement this young group brings. Are they Palacio/Womack/Realbuto/Dean of last year? Of course not, and we should not have expected that.

Even that "weak as a kitten" Yianni (find the Vegas thread in the Lehigh group).
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:42 pm

WOW, SWEANY!!! :D

OK, who would have guessed that Sweany and Chavez would be 2 out of 3 placewinners for the Big Red?! :shock:
Red Blades
Expert

Postby ugarte » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Not as many medalists as we're used to but very few bad losses along the way. This is a team with real potential for March.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Postby mountainred » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:00 pm

klehner wrote:
scribe wrote:I don’t mind a shitty Vegas at all. It’s early so what happens in Vegas stays there.

Let's be honest. Coming into this season, having graduated six starters and three AAs, what should have been the Cornell fan's expectation? Who might have guessed that Russo, Tucker, and Chavez would be at the level they have shown so far? We'd have guessed that Yianni would be outstanding, and nothing else at that level. Could Baughman make 125? What would happen to Womack up a weight class? Would we ever see Sweany again? Even Darmstadt and Dean were still not proven against top-level competition (and the former remains in that category).

I was fully expecting an uninspiring but future-hopeful season, and am nothing short of pleased with the excitement this young group brings. Are they Palacio/Womack/Realbuto/Dean of last year? Of course not, and we should not have expected that.

Even that "weak as a kitten" Yianni (find the Vegas thread in the Lehigh group).

The UNI dual may have over-inflated my hopes, but by-and-large the results so far have more good than bad (IMHO).

Russo claimed a top 20 win at 125 (though he needs to work on getting out from bottom position). Tucker beat #16 and guy who won two matches at NCAAs last year; he only lost by a point to #7 and #12. Santoro's losses were both regular decisions to ranked guys. Chavez has two WBF and his only loss (so far) is to #5. Dean lost to #6 and #7 (he is the only Freshman or Sophomore ranked at 184). Honis beat #15. Sweany looks good with his only loss so far to #6.

Furnas is who he is - a battler who isn't going to be nationally ranked.

Only Bama had a tournament that you can't spin. But he showed last year that he is legit.

Not bad for a team with six new starters, no senior starters, Ben Darmstadt and Noah Baughman not starting and some good looking wrestlers at Finger Lakes.
mountainred
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cornell