WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Rob Koll's Northern Iowa Recap

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Rob Koll's Northern Iowa Recap

Postby Red Blades » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 pm

It was a busy weekend of wrestling for the Big Red grapplers. Friday night we faced off against Northern Iowa and then a large portion of our team wrestled in the New York State Intercollegiate Championships. Anyone who wasn’t wrestling “enjoyed” the opportunity to keep score for his teammates. Overall I was pleased with the team’s performance. We had wrestlers who were experiencing their first start at the weight classes of: 125, 133, 141, 165, 184, and 197! Despite their inexperience we won at all of these weight.

The NY State Intercollegiate tournament helped us figure out who would be representing the Big Red in Las Vegas later this month. The 133 pound final worked out to be wrestle off between Chas Tucker and Noah Baughman. Both wrestlers looked good up to that point and Chas came away with a two takedown 5-3 victory. At 149 Cornell placed 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 8th at the weight. Jon Furnas powered his way to a championship with victories over three of his teammates. Freshman, Adam Santoro punched his ticket to Vegas at 157 with his first NY state championship. Adam is a pleasant surprise at weight which is biggest question mark.

Recap:
125 Mike Russo, (yes, I know I referred to him as Matt in my last newsletter more than once), but I’ve got two Matt Russo’s on the team so I assure you he is used to it. Furthermore I just turned 52 so all you guys who keep harassing me should know that I’m officially at an age where I don’t give a damn. But I digress, Mike continued his breakout sophomore campaign by knocking off #19 Jay Schwarm, 10-4, upping his record to 6-0 on the season.

133 Chas Tucker wrestled like we expect by taking his opponent down three times before pinning him at 3:54. Chas won 4 more matches and NY state championship on Sunday. Chas is very tough to score on, impossible to ride and has fantastic offense. I am excited to see him compete in Vegas.

141 Yianni, (you know you’re good when you already go by one name and you’ve only wrestled one varsity match), controlled the match against #14 Josh Alber 5-2. Yianni also went on to win 4 more matches and a state championship on Sunday. On another topic Yianni asked me if I would be willing to promote his upcoming concert series. Normally I wouldn’t do this since it is undoubtedly and NCAA violation but as I said previously I’m 52! Here is the link: http://www.yanni.com/

149 Jon Furnas gave up a major against #3 Max Thomsen. Jon wrestled a defensive match and allowed his opponent to dictate all the action. Two days later Jon looked much better in winning 5 straight on his way to his first NY Intercollegiate title. He defeated teammate Chris Schoenherr 7-3 in the finals

157 Joey Galasso dropped an 8-2 decision against UNI. At the NY States freshman, Adam Santoro walked through the tournament with 1 decision and 4 falls. Adam wrestled with the Finger Lakes Club last year. He has made significant and continuous improvements over the past year. This weight class was wide open at the beginning of the season and it’s encouraging to see a freshman emerge from the pack.

165 Jon Jay Chavez improved his record to 6-0 with a second period fall. Jon Jay seems to have come from nowhere but he has been in the room for the past two years. He has been stuck in the unenviable position of having two multi-time All-Americans, (Palacio and Realbuto), in his weight. Although Jon Jay has made his name as a Greco Roman wrestler he actually has very good leg attacks and is fairly strong on the mat. Jon Jay did not wrestling in the tournament.

Foster Karmon finished 3rd the NY states. Foster missed most of the preseason with a broken hand but is quickly working himself back into shape.

174 Brandon Womack, (evidentially in my last newsletter I spelled it Brendan. Have I told you I turned 52…), lost a wild 5-3 scramblefest against #8 Taylor Lujan. Brandon had more than a couple opportunities but failed to finish a takedown, reversal, escape, etc. I believe he’s trying to hit the “big move” too hard and needs to simply take the points when they were available. It’s hard to fault him since he has had so much success with catching 6 point moves but he is getting scouted more closely these days and as a result will need to adjust.

184 We knew we would take a huge step back at this weight with the graduation of Gabe Dean. However little brother Max is quickly dispelling that myth. Last week Max won the Bearcat Open and this weekend he added a NY Intercollegiate championship, as well as a 9-7 victory over All-American #4 Drew Foster of UNI. As I walked out of Bartels Hall I overheard one woman ask her husband if Max Dean had a brother who wrestled for Cornell. Gabe who?

197 Ben Darmstadt quickly pinned his UNI opponent. Ben is a pinning machine. He increased his year total to 6 as he powered his way to his first NY championship.

285 Ben Honis weighed in at 203 but still managed to manhandle his 245 pound, nationally ranked opponent. Ben has a fairly significant cut to make 197 and is a viable option at 285 for at least as long as Jeramy Sweany is on the injured reserve list.

285 McZiggy Richards placed 3rd at the NY State tournament, registering a 4-1 record.

#19 Cornell 30, #13 Northern Iowa 10
133: Chaz Tucker (C) won by fall over Jack Wagner (UNI), 3:54
141: #13 Yianni Diakomihalis (C) won by decision over #14 Josh Alber (UNI), 5-2
149: #3 Max Thomsen (UNI) won by major decision over Jonathan Furnas (C), 10-1
157: Paden Moore (UNI) won by decision over Joey Galasso (C), 8-2
165: Jon Jay Chavez (C) won by fall over Dan Kelly (UNI), 5:00
174: #8 Taylor Lujan (UNI) won by decision over #6 Brandon Womack (C), 5-3
184: #17 Max Dean (C) won by decision over #4 Drew Foster (UNI), 9-7
197: Ben Darmstadt (C) won by fall over Jacob Holschlag (UNI), 1:38
285: #18 Ben Honis (C) won by decision over Carter Isley (UNI), 8-4
125: Mike Russo (C) won by decision over #19 Jay Schwarm (UNI), 10-4

Holiday Shopping: Get all your Cornell gear for the holiday!
To order to go: https://cornellwrestling17.itemorder.com/

NCAA Tickets
If you haven’t Pre-Ordered tickets for the 2018 NCAA tournament please do so by following this
link:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/136HWHESFGC_IVxIPOGZF_LdkaVXQP9iZnPCZ8ZNC55Q/vie
wform?edit_requested=true

EIWA Rooms
Long Island Marriott
101 James Doolittle Boulevard, Uniondale, NY 11553
Group name: Cornell Wrestling Friends & Family
March 2 – 5, 2018
Booking Link: Book your group rate for Cornell Wrestling Friends & Family Block
$184 + tax per night
Last day to book: January 31, 2018

NCAA Rooms
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland/Independence
6020 Jefferson, Independence, OH 44131
? Complimentary Hot Breakfast and Hors d’oeuvres Social Hour Mon.-Thurs. 5-7pm
? Hotel is located just 8 miles from the Quicken Loans Arena (NCAA Wresting
Championships) the best transportation option would be to take a taxi, Uber or Lyft.
Group Name: Cornell Wrestling Friends and Families March 14-18, 2018
Booking Link: https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hp/res ... LINKDIRECT
$99 + tax per night Last day to book: February 14, 2018

Home 2 - Suites by Hilton
Patriots Way, Independence, OH 44131
? Includes Free Breakfast Daily
Group Name: Cornell Family and Friends
March 14-18, 2018
Booking Link: http://group.home2suites.com/CornellFamilyFriends
Book by calling: 1-877-6Home02 (1-877-646-6302) and ask for our Group name
$129.99 + tax per night
Last day to book: February 15, 2018

Residence Inn Independence
5101 West Creek Rd., Independence, OH 44131
? Daily Breakfast
? Complimentary on-site parking
Group Name: Cornell Wrestling Friends and Families
March 14-18, 2018
Booking link: Book your group rate for Cornell Wrestling Friends and Family
Or by calling: 1-216-520-1450 and ask for our Group name
Studio Suite is $109 + tax per night or the Two Bedroom Suite is $139 + tax per night
Last day to book: February 21, 2018
Red Blades
Expert

Return to Cornell