WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Stock Up/Down

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Stock Up/Down

Postby Mat Rat2 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am

So, after this weekend we finally have something to look at in terms of where the big Red Red are although it is still very early in the season.

The Northern Iowa win was fantastic, better than even the most optimistic of us (21-14) could have predicted. Let's not forget that the Panthers did have a couple/few backups in there but even with all their #1 guys it still would have been a Big Red victory.

The NYS tourney was talent challenged without Hofstra, Columbia, and Army sending there top guys. Cornell also held out guys at 125, 133 (Vito FLWC) 157 (?), 165, 174, 285. However, good event for a young team and most of the FLWC guys early this season.

Quick look:

125- Mike Russo's stock is definitely up, nice win over ranked UNI guy. Again, thank goodness he has been willing to step up and even better that he has performed nicely.

133- Tucker's stock is up. Nice win against UNI and 5-3 over Noah on Sunday. It wasn't as close as the score, Noah did nothing IMO. Maybe this opens Noah's eyes in terms of making 125?

141- Yianni is obviously very good. nice win over UNI's Alber who is probably round of 12 guy. His stock remains high. vegas will be interesting, some studs out there.

149- Funnas works hard, His stock remains level.

157- Galasso was a bit disappointing I'd say his stock is down. I am concerned with his lack of offense. Also Stroker's stock is also down from what we were expecting from a guy that was a Big Ten starter last year and a very high recruit coming out of HS. Hopefully more to come as he works his way into shape.

165- John Jay's stock is up, he. Is exciting. As someone said the first period against UNI was something like 17-7 (?), 24 points and Jon Jay scored all of them :D

174- Tough loss for Bama against another ranked guy. I thought he might have had the first of two Pederson's, oh well. He may see this guy in Vegas. His stock is down but only a notch with a chance for revenge next week.

184- Great win for Max against the # 4 guy. Interestingly the coaches were not at all surprised. it will be interesting to see where he is ranked this week. His stock is way up.

197- Another very exciting guy, his stock may be up a notch. he can be dangerous.

285 - Honis looked good against a respectable Hwt. His stock has to be up.

The team stock has to be up. My guess is that they may move close to or even in the top 15?

More on Vegas next week as the teams and entries become defined. One thing for sure is that Vegas is loaded with talent and we will know a lot more after that event.

Other thoughts?
Mat Rat2
Expert

Re: Stock Up/Down

Postby scribe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:52 am

I don’t feel as conservative about Darmstadt as most seem to be. And I DO reserve the right to see how he does against the nations best studs. But I think he is a killer out there and not because of one move. He comes from many angles. Honis is mentally strong and is in a long line of great Cornell wrestlers, doing exactly what we love to see on the mat. But who to put out there at 197 looks clear as bell to me.
scribe
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:18 am

Mat Rat2 wrote:So, after this weekend we finally have something to look at in terms of where the big Red Red are although it is still very early in the season.

The Northern Iowa win was fantastic, better than even the most optimistic of us (21-14) could have predicted. Let's not forget that the Panthers did have a couple/few backups in there but even with all their #1 guys it still would have been a Big Red victory.

The NYS tourney was talent challenged without Hofstra, Columbia, and Army sending there top guys. Cornell also held out guys at 125, 133 (Vito FLWC) 157 (?), 165, 174, 285. However, good event for a young team and most of the FLWC guys early this season.

Quick look:

125- Mike Russo's stock is definitely up, nice win over ranked UNI guy. Again, thank goodness he has been willing to step up and even better that he has performed nicely.

133- Tucker's stock is up. Nice win against UNI and 5-3 over Noah on Sunday. It wasn't as close as the score, Noah did nothing IMO. Maybe this opens Noah's eyes in terms of making 125?

141- Yianni is obviously very good. nice win over UNI's Alber who is probably round of 12 guy. His stock remains high. vegas will be interesting, some studs out there.

149- Funnas works hard, His stock remains level.

157- Galasso was a bit disappointing I'd say his stock is down. I am concerned with his lack of offense. Also Stroker's stock is also down from what we were expecting from a guy that was a Big Ten starter last year and a very high recruit coming out of HS. Hopefully more to come as he works his way into shape.

Based on Rob's post let's add. Adam Santoro to this list. Looks like he will be the guy at 157 in Vegas. Obviously his stock is way up. Nice to see a FLWC grad break through. While this surprises some of us I can tell you there is one FLWC coach saying "I told you so" for singing Santoro's praises just last week. Nice to see that those coaches are working hard with these guys and paying attention. :D

165- John Jay's stock is up, he. Is exciting. As someone said the first period against UNI was something like 17-7 (?), 24 points and Jon Jay scored all of them :D

174- Tough loss for Bama against another ranked guy. I thought he might have had the first of two Pederson's, oh well. He may see this guy in Vegas. His stock is down but only a notch with a chance for revenge next week.

184- Great win for Max against the # 4 guy. Interestingly the coaches were not at all surprised. it will be interesting to see where he is ranked this week. His stock is way up.

197- Another very exciting guy, his stock may be up a notch. he can be dangerous.

285 - Honis looked good against a respectable Hwt. His stock has to be up.

The team stock has to be up. My guess is that they may move close to or even in the top 15?

More on Vegas next week as the teams and entries become defined. One thing for sure is that Vegas is loaded with talent and we will know a lot more after that event.

Other thoughts?
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby Sublime » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am

Sublime
Novice

Postby Red Blades » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 am

Mat Rat2 wrote:***
Based on Rob's post let's add. Adam Santoro to this list. Looks like he will be the guy at 157 in Vegas. Obviously his stock is way up. Nice to see a FLWC grad break through. While this surprises some of us I can tell you there is one FLWC coach saying "I told you so" for singing Santoro's praises just last week. Nice to see that those coaches are working hard with these guys and paying attention. :D

Santoro's record last year at FLWC - 6-12. This year so far - 12-2.

OK, he's got my attention!
Red Blades
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 am

Trackwrestling rankings: http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/Portal ... =636772009

Russo, Yianni, Chavez, Womack, Dean, Darmstadt, and Honis (at 285!) all ranked now; Dean leads the pack at #10.
Red Blades
Expert

Postby klehner » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:20 am

Red Blades wrote:
Mat Rat2 wrote:***

Santoro's record last year at FLWC - 6-12. This year so far - 12-2.

OK, he's got my attention!

While attention is good, he hasn't ever beaten anyone of note. Only two reasonably-ranked opponents he's faced this year beat him.

I think I'm going to change my sig to "Yeah, it's early."
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby klehner » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:28 am

Red Blades wrote:Trackwrestling rankings: http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/Portal ... =636772009

Russo, Yianni, Chavez, Womack, Dean, Darmstadt, and Honis (at 285!) all ranked now; Dean leads the pack at #10.

Womack is #9. Ranking BD above Mattiace seems silly, considering their face-to-face matches.
klehner
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Red Blades wrote:Santoro's record last year at FLWC - 6-12. This year so far - 12-2.

My records show that Santoro was 17-12 at FLWC last year.

Southeast Open: 2-2
Binghamton Open: 2-2
NYS B: 5-3
Brockport Open: 3-0
Edinboro Open: 2-2
National Collegiate Open: 3-3

Wrestlestats counted only Div I bouts from last season and didn't count med forfeit wins. This season everything is counted; Div I only, Santoro's 2-2. Apples and Oranges.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby Sublime » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 am

https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6 ... l-you-want

Flow Ranking just in. No Cornell love
Sublime
Novice

Postby klehner » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:41 am

Sublime wrote:https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6031577-ncaa-rankings-2017-18/26587-125-scout-no-3-ethan-lizaks-top-game-all-you-want

Flow Ranking just in. No Cornell love

The lack of consistency across the 4-5 ranking systems wrt Cornell is amazing. But, yeah, it's early. Maybe some teams/wrestlers will not take
the baby bears as seriously as they possibly should at the CKLV tourney.
klehner
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am

klehner wrote:The lack of consistency across the 4-5 ranking systems wrt Cornell is amazing. But, yeah, it's early. Maybe some teams/wrestlers will not take
the baby bears as seriously as they possibly should at the CKLV tourney.

I think it's a matter of what the service is looking for. F'instance, Lehigh's Ian Brown lost to Edinboro's Shomers (unranked) but then beat Michigan's A/A Pantaleo (Top 10) this past weekend. I like Brown, but I suppose it could be viewed that Brown lost to an unranked guy and beat a ranked guy with one big move. One service didn't rank Brown but dropped Pantaleo three spots; a couple ranked Brown; the one I liked ranked Shomers ahead of Brown and dropped Pantaleo a little, which at least shows consistent thinking.

It's early. Plenty of time for things to sort out.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby ugarte » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:22 am

I put together a compilation across the rankings I could find because ... uh ... NO MORE QUESTIONS THIS PRESS CONFERENCE IS OVER
Code: Select all
                   Flo    IM      TOM     AWN     WIN

125: Russo          U      U      15(20)  20(U)    U
141: Diakomihalis  11(20) 12(13)   8(20)  11(18)   9(10)
165: Chavez         U     18(U)   15(20)   U       U
174: Womack         8(7)   9(6)   10(6)    9(8)    9(6)
184: Dean          13(17) 10(17)   5(15)  10(17)  14(U)
197: Darmstadt      U     19(U)    U      16(15)  17(UR)
197: Honis                                        14(15)
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:06 pm

ugarte wrote:I put together a compilation across the rankings I could find because ... uh ...

Ugarte, you know that JDALU75 provides this service for us? - http://static.psbin.com/f/4/3g9wbjvk0bh ... nkings.pdf
Red Blades
Expert

Postby ugarte » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Red Blades wrote:
ugarte wrote:I put together a compilation across the rankings I could find because ... uh ...

Ugarte, you know that JDALU75 provides this service for us? - http://static.psbin.com/f/4/3g9wbjvk0bh ... nkings.pdf

i do now! Is that a static URL from week to week or do I have to check another forum? (A thing I ordinarily only do if there's an opportunity to gloat.)

I would also suggest to JDA that for guys who are not ranked in all polls, a generic ranking of ~23 should be used to calculate the composite for the polls that don't rank a guy. Someone like Russo who is ranked in only two polls (at 15 and 20) isn't really rated in composite by all of the polling services at 17.5; he's closer to (15+20+23+23+23)/5=20.8, which is to say "mostly unranked but close".
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Next

Return to Cornell