WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Was it only 2012? Thanks, Cornell wrestling

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Was it only 2012? Thanks, Cornell wrestling

Postby klehner » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:46 am

Back in 2012 (I had to look it up), I was browsing through the TV channels when I came across college wrestling on ESPN. Never seen it before on TV. Whoa, that's a Cornell wrestler? Didn't know they had any good wrestlers (my only familiarity was having shared a house with the team co-captain back in 1979-80). Double whoa, this is the NCAA finals? And the guy won? Interesting. What? The next guy is a Cornell wrestler, too? And he won, too? Who's that third Cornell guy among the champions?

So started my fun trip with Cornell wrestling. Been to two Grapple at the Garden matches (walked in with Rob Koll one time, who remembered who that co-captain was), one EIWA at Lehigh, the great dual at Lehigh last year (check my sig for my Lehigh connection), and a match at Princeton (I'm in NJ). Countless hours on Ivy League Network, Flo/Track/ESPN for Scuffles, EIWAs, NCAAs, etc. I was with my daughter at the Mayo clinic for four weeks, and kept trying to arrange my schedule to watch the EIWAs and NCAAs at the same time in 2015 while working half-time remotely and half-time engaged with her treatment.

I/We have been blessed to see some really entertaining wrestlers these past years. Dake, Garrett, Dean, Palacio, Realbuto, Jace, Duke. Always gave me a reason to tune in and follow. I go back and re-watch some of their more memorable matches when I'm bored. I followed their rankings with a religious fervor.

And here we are again. I'm sure a number of us were thinking "damn, Lehigh is going to kill Cornell this year while the Big Red "rebuilds." Other than Yianni, I was prepared for a season that wouldn't be that interesting, and not that compelling. It's early, but the "baby bears" are showing quite the promise to provide hours of entertaining matches in the year(s!) to come. Russo (Mike), Chaz, YD, JJ, 'bama, Little Dean, the big Bens, all really like to wrestle, and it shows.

So, thanks again to the Cornell wrestling program. My wife isn't so happy ("Watch this: it's called the Assassin!"), but it gets me through the winter. I prop my iPad on a stand in front of my bike on the trainer in the basement, and watching replays keeps me motivated.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Re: Was it only 2012? Thanks, Cornell wrestling

Postby HatchetJack » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 am

Well said!
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:18 am

Nice!
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Nice post! "Baby Bears"? I'll have to remember that! :)
Red Blades
Expert

Postby klehner » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Red Blades wrote:Nice post! "Baby Bears"? I'll have to remember that! :)

That's the term used multiple times by the stream announcer(s) for the UNI match. "The baby bears certainly came to wrestle today..."
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Return to Cornell