WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

RK’s pre UNI update

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

RK’s pre UNI update

Postby scribe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:57 pm

Following is rob’s update
UNI Dual Meet
If you are within driving distance I hope you will do your best to make it to our Friday night Northern
Iowa dual. The #10 Panthers have a very tough team and this will not be an easy opening match for our
crew. Although we have a young squad I was pleased with the team’s performance at last week’s
Binghamton Bearcat Open. We have a good deal of depth and I’m thrilled to have the luxury to call upon
any number of different wrestlers to fill-out the line-up. Although I don’t expect to know our final lineup
until the second semester I will use the NY State Intercollegiate tournament to help decide a couple
weight classes.

125 This week you can expect to see Matt Russo. Matt dominated the field at Binghamton going 4-0,
while only giving up 2 points. Matt was dominant in every position.

133 Charles Tucker and Noah Baughman both went 3-2 at Binghamton. We will decide who gets the call
on Friday and then both wrestlers will compete at the NY State tournament to determine who will
represent Cornell at our next competition.

141 Yianni breezed through the tournament and didn’t let us down. Yianni faces one of UNI’s top kids
and will need to continue his winning ways if we expect to knock of the Panthers. I am confident this will
occur.

149 Jon Furnas placed 3rd at Binghamton. Jon also has a gets to test his abilities against one of UNI’s
best. Jon has grown immeasurably as a wrestler over the past year and I know he is excited for the
opportunity!

157 Joey Galasso placed 4th at Binghamton. This was Joey’s first tournament at 157 and he did not
wrestle up to his ability. I’m confident this Friday we will see a more physically aggressive Joey.

165 Jon Jay Chavez finally decided to apply his ample skills and athleticism to the collegiate wrestling
world. Jon Jay has been in the room for the past two years but hasn’t competed outside the Greco
realm. His Binghamton championship was no surprise to the coaches.

174 Branden looked every bit 174 pounds in his Binghamton championship run.

184 Same last name, same results! My name is Max, not Gabe Dean kicked off his freshman campaign in
familiar Dean fashion… that being a championship.

197 Ben Darmstadt 2nd and Ben Honis 3rd both lost only one match. This weight class still needs to be
determined.

285 Jeramy Sweeny is out until after Vegas with a groin pull. McZiggy Richards went 1-2 and did not
place.

Pin Pool
Can you believe it’s already time to make your annual Pin Pool pledge? Last year I was a little slow to
promote the pool and therefore missed our first match. Rest assured that will not happen again! To
make a pledge please go to: http://cornellwrestling.wixsite.com/pinpool/pin-pool. Thanks in advance!

Captains Named
Brendan “Bama” Womack, So., Ben Honis, Jr. and Matt Russo, Sr. will serve as this year’s captains. Last
year Bama joined our quickly growing ranks of freshman All-Americans and also became only the second
All-American ever from the state of Alabama. Ben Honis qualified for the NCAA tournament and has
been a fixture in the Friedman Wrestling Center ever since his junior high days. Matt Russo hasn’t
enjoyed the same degree of success as the other two captains but is simply a remarkably outstanding
leader both in the room and on campus.

Cam Simaz Elected to EIWA Hall of Fame
Members of the Class of 2018 include Matt Feast of the University of Pennsylvania, John Harmon of
Lehigh University, Joe Peritore of Lehigh University and Cam Simaz of Cornell University. The induction
ceremony will take place on Sunday, March 4, 2018 at Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY, immediately
preceding the finals of the annual EIWA championships.

Cam Simaz, Cornell, Class of 2012

Cameron (Cam) Simaz is the first wrestler in the storied history of the EIWA to win four individual
conference championships, an NCAA title, and compete as a member of four EIWA championship teams.
He also earned All-American honors all four of his years at Cornell University.

Simaz arrived at Cornell as a highly regarded recruit out of Allegan, Michigan. He was a three-time
Michigan state champion and a FILA cadet All-American with a career record of 237-6. He captained
Allegan Senior High’s wrestling team his junior and senior year, leading them to a team championship in
2007. He was also a two-year starter in football and baseball, as well as a member of the National Honor
Society.

While wrestling at Cornell, Simaz became one of the Big Red’s most accomplished wrestlers ever. As a
freshman, he was named both Ivy League Rookie and EIWA Freshman of the Year while winning his first
EIWA title at 197 pounds. He became a freshman All-American by finishing 8th at the NCAA tournament.
In the next three years, Simaz continued his success on the mat and in the classroom. He ran up a
college career record of 145-21 with 47 falls. Besides three more EIWA crowns, he finished 3rd, 3rd and
1st in the NCAA tournament. Simaz led Cornell to first place in the EIWA team championships during
each of his four years. He was named the EIWA Most Outstanding Wrestler as a senior as well as the
recipient of the Fletcher Award. He graduated in June 2012 with a degree in Economics from the School
of Arts and Sciences and was twice named to the NWCA All-Academic Team.

After graduation, Simaz helped coach at the Finger Lakes Wrestling Club before moving to Chicago
where he was a commodities trader while also coaching at the Wildcat Wrestling Club. Recently Simaz
accepted the position of Coach and Director of the West Point Wrestling Club on the shores of the
Hudson River.

Simaz is the son of Joe and Annette Simaz. He has three brothers, all collegiate wrestlers.
scribe
Expert

Re: RK’s pre UNI update

Postby ugarte » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 pm

thanks
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Re: RK’s pre UNI update

Postby Red Blades » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks, Scribe! :wink:
Red Blades