WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

NYS Intercollegiate Championships

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Re: NYS Intercollegiate Championships

Postby HatchetJack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 pm

ok just watched finals.

133 Noah loses and from the looks of it does not have the offense to score on Tucker. Noah looks like he weighs a lot so going down to 125 looks like pretty slim odds.

YD - awesome

174 - forgot to mention Andrew B - best looking grey shirt outside of Vito. Real solid. Pinned his finals opponent.

184 - Dean beats Lou D again but this time it was a little less close 4-1. Dean is in good shape and although a bit smaller than big bro has similar grinding style and moves.

197 - Damrstadt just goes crazy on these kids. Pinned him w his assassin move. Looked great and attacks right off the whistle.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby mountainred » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:40 pm

125: Lajoie wins by fall at 5:55 to take 3rd.
133: Tucker wins 5-3 with the only takedowns.
141: Yianni with a 3rd period TF.
149: Furnas wins 7-3. Gillem loses to Parker Kropman 6-3 to take 4th.
157: Santoro WBF over an IC guy. Fourth pin of the tourney.
165: Foster Karmon took 3rd. His only loss was to eventual winner Troy Keller, but it was by TF.
174: Berreyesa WBF, his fourth.
184: Dean wins 4-1 thanks to a third period ride out.
197: Ben WBF. I'm not sure he needed more than one period for any of his wins.
285: Janney loses to IC's Jake O'Brien to take 2nd.
mountainred
Expert

Postby scribe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Where’s Columbia and Hofstra? Kinda need all these teams to make this tournament work.
scribe
Expert

Postby mountainred » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:16 pm

scribe wrote:Where’s Columbia and Hofstra? Kinda need all these teams to make this tournament work.

Hofstra sent one guy. Columbia sent a handful, but I think their starters were at West Point. With Army.
mountainred
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Hofstra was at yesterday's Navy Classic. Busy weekend: Navy Classic, Black Knight Invite (it rhymes!), NYS Inter, and Keystone Classic at Penn. And Lehigh had a dual today.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby NJDan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Lehigh won 8 of 10 over Michigan. They look for real.
NJDan
Expert

Postby JM » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:53 pm

NJDan wrote:Lehigh won 8 of 10 over Michigan. They look for real.

I went to the Lehigh-Michigan match today. While I now have them fully scouted :P they are for real and, as expected, will be a tough out. Each of their wrestlers looked in good shape, wrestled smart, won a couple key bouts with TDs in the closing moments. Karam and Jacobsen are excellent riders; Brown upset Panatelo with an opening 6 point throw. They made Michigan look like a mediocre team (which they presmably are not).
JM
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Physically, Lehigh looks much different than Cornell. Much leaner and more ripped at nearly every weight. But that's today. And as I said last year, Lehigh never peaks at the right time even with great talent. Good news for them this year they have two of their better kids up weights which should make for a consistent season. With that said, I think we have a puncher's chance. An injury here and there and a second semester surprise and things could change. Right now, Cornell loses 7 matches and that assumes we win 141, 165 and 197 - no locks by any means.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Oh - and Cole Walter looks awful again this year despite the projections that he is an AA in the waiting. Last. Michigan was definitely flat footed today butr LU really broke them in half - guessing they make strides as the season progressed.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby scribe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:46 pm

Fine. I’ll lower my projection of 30-0 Cornell over Lehigh.
scribe
Expert

Postby Mountain Hawk » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:15 pm

HatchetJack wrote:Oh - and Cole Walter looks awful again this year despite the projections that he is an AA in the waiting. Last. Michigan was definitely flat footed today butr LU really broke them in half - guessing they make strides as the season progressed.

Not that you much care because you seem quite the hater, Cole sustained some sort of upper body injury very early in the match and tougher out 5+ mins of solid punishment while struggling mightily with that injury just to save a team point. But go ahead and throw down about how "awful" he was. Nice job Hatchetjackass and 15 for piling on against scrub (sic).

Back to your shameful programming now.
Mountain Hawk
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 pm

Let me point out to you that he did look awful today in his loss to Massa. In general I think he is a good wrestler just not the AA as some LU fans made him out to be last year. Did I know he was hurt? Nope. I wish him the best in his recovery and hope he has a good season. However you (being some of the lehigh faithful) are the kncukleheads who told everyone how great he was last year and he was going to do this and that to so and so....I called nonsense on that and generally think it still the right call.

You can turn this into whatever you want but it's nothing devious or ill-intentioned just an opinion that u don't like. If I had known he was hurt badly during the match, I am guessing I would have said nothing. I'd be glad to say I'm sorry if that makes you feel better. Also, if you can since you an insider, can u let us know the extent of the injury. Hoping it's nothing serious.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby ugarte » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:18 pm

Russo is a great story so far but I'm still sweating about 125, 133, 149, 157 and Heavy. A Baughman-less 125 and 149 were expected to be rough but 157 is almost a full-blown panic and I'm not sure how Honis holds up at 285 against better competition (even though Isley's not terrible).
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Postby klehner » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 am

ugarte wrote:Russo is a great story so far but I'm still sweating about 125, 133, 149, 157 and Heavy. A Baughman-less 125 and 149 were expected to be rough but 157 is almost a full-blown panic and I'm not sure how Honis holds up at 285 against better competition (even though Isley's not terrible).

Honis will not be wrestling 285 again this year, unless Sweany does not recover from his injury as expected.

Cornell has some talent that presents some challenge for other teams. Russo is very tall (it seems). Tucker is very short (no doubt). Chavez brings a different skill set and a great attitude. Darmstadt is very tall and obviously very funky and dangerous. Dean is, well, another Dean, with a more tenacious ride than his brother! And YD is YD.

Let's enjoy what we have, given the concern many of us had about "rebuilding."
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:44 am

Will be interesting to see. It's possible Honis can beat Ben D but is that in the team's best interest? Ben D can score big on almost any opponent and maybe his upside at this weight is too much to ignore. Keeping Ben H down around 200 does not help anyone unless the thinking is he is going to go 197 over Ben D. If you were playing this in terms of what's best for the team right now, you'd probably ask Ben H to stay around 215-220 and ride out heavy until Sweaney is really back. For what it is worth, if Ben H can beat Sweaney 285 then what's really best for the team? Hoping Koll works this out for all the kids involved.
HatchetJack
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cornell