WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

NYS Intercollegiate Championships

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

NYS Intercollegiate Championships

Postby mountainred » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 pm

I took a look at the current entries on Trackwrestling. A couple of things jumped out at me:

1) There is no one entered at 125. Now, it may just be that Koll doesn't want to risk Russo getting injured against a pretty weak field (the only D1 wrestlers are a pair from Bingo, but not their starter), but you'd think he could use the reps. Meanwhile, Noah and Chaz are both at 133.
2) Honis is entered as a heavy. But McZiggy isn't, nor is Jeramy. Is Honis going to be our Heavyweight? Does Rob read this message board?
mountainred
Expert

Re: NYS Intercollegiate Championships

Postby HatchetJack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Noah must have put on some real weight or just lost the desire to wrestle competitively. Either way, it's a real let down for the team no other way.

I feel bad for Ben if he has to wrestle heavy. Taking one for the team - unless he lost in a wrestle off.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:51 am

HatchetJack wrote:Noah must have put on some real weight or just lost the desire to wrestle competitively. Either way, it's a real let down for the team no other way.

I feel bad for Ben if he has to wrestle heavy. Taking one for the team - unless he lost in a wrestle off.
mountainred wrote:I took a look at the current entries on Trackwrestling. A couple of things jumped out at me:

1) There is no one entered at 125. Now, it may just be that Koll doesn't want to risk Russo getting injured against a pretty weak field (the only D1 wrestlers are a pair from Bingo, but not their starter), but you'd think he could use the reps. Meanwhile, Noah and Chaz are both at 133.
2) Honis is entered as a heavy. But McZiggy isn't, nor is Jeramy. Is Honis going to be our Heavyweight? Does Rob read this message board?

Noah has obviously gotten bigger. Coming out of HS I was surprised that (with Macri around) they didn't grey shirt him last year mostly from what I observed mostly you tube HS matches, as him maybe being a bit under sized/powered at 125. Well he certainly proved me wrong he had a great year and he has continued to grow. Now that does not mean he can't or won't go back down to 125 but at this stage it may not be his first choice. More to come on this. In addition he and Chaz are in a battle at 133 that may go on for a while if not all season. On a positive note, this has resulted in some surprising depth at 133.

As for Ben at heavy, I also see the entry but Rob has not officially listed the 197 guy for UNI. I would assume that Ben will not wrestle 197 on Thur and 285 on Sun but he could?

He has stated that Sweany is out until after Vegas so it may well be decided to use Darmstadt at 197 and Honis at 285 at least for a wile. Again, I do not think they put Honis out there against a really big 285 guy. Could he develop into a 210-215 guy over the next couple of months , probably I believe he is a full sized 197 guy. However, If that is/was the plan I would think it would have been been developed last March not in November. Maybe the Sweany injury is very recent and the two FLWC guys track probably wasn't decided yet at that time?

I am not surprised that Russo is not entered at 125 for the NYS Tourney. Given how thin we are at 125, I think protecting him a little is smart and why have him make weight 2 days after UNI with Vegas coming up if you don't have to, It comes down to a cost vs benefit or Nov vs March analysis which by the way. Rob has proven to be really astute at over the years. Certainly better than most of us "peanut gallery" guys. :?

By the way. Russo really looked respectable winning at Binghamton and has jumped out of the shadows. I really feel good for him. He has to be really excited and with Mike Grey around I am sure he is getting renewed and expert attention every single day. Go (both) Mikes!
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby scribe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:28 pm

That is a good point on Russo. If he’s making a deep cut, better taking states off d
For a shot at quality D1.
scribe
Expert

Postby klehner » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:13 pm

No Womack, either.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:25 am

Nothing serious with Womach, he is wrestling today I believe,
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby mountainred » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:13 am

MatRat, after watching Russo last night, I can see that his making weight isn't easy. (Is it easy for any 125lbr?) I really see your point about why force him to make weight a second time in a weekend, especially to compete against such a so-so field. Last night's win over Schwram is going to be worth much more down the road than cruising through the NYS field -- even if he would have been D3's top ranked guy at the weight.

I withdraw any implied criticism of holding him out. It really was more surprise than doubt in Rob.
mountainred
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:05 pm

The really good news on Russo is that he is so much better than any of us anticipated.he beat a very decent guy last night and it wasn't close.

Can't wait to see him out in Vegas.

Anyone else going out there? JM?
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby scribe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:46 pm

He is a mat wrestler, but not the the down variety of mat wrestler.
scribe
Expert

Postby JM » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Mat Rat2 wrote:The really good news on Russo is that he is so much better than any of us anticipated.he beat a very decent guy last night and it wasn't close.

Can't wait to see him out in Vegas.

Anyone else going out there? JM?

Yes, I will be at Vegas.
My first chance to see this year’s edition of the Big Red.
JM
Expert

Postby NonspecificJargon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:30 am

So no Russo/125lber, Galasso, JJ Chavez, Womack, Honis. Half the lineup.
NonspecificJargon
Novice

Postby mountainred » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:55 am

NonspecificJargon wrote:So no Russo/125lber, Galasso, JJ Chavez, Womack, Honis. Half the lineup.

Also, no Vito at 133 and Tucker and Baughman on opposite sides of the bracket. A wrestle-off by tournament?
mountainred
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 am

mountainred wrote:Also, no Vito at 133 and Tucker and Baughman on opposite sides of the bracket. A wrestle-off by tournament?

I think since Vito is not enrolled he would not be in this one, it's not an open (at least not the A division).

(oops, as I type - I see Andrew Berreyesa (Unat. Finger La) at 174 :oops: )
Red Blades
Expert

Postby mountainred » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Heading into the finals and things are going about as expected:

We get the Tucker/Baughman final, though Zach Trampe (Bingo greyshirt?) threw a scare into Tucker.
Yianni, Max and Dartmstadt all cruise into the finals. Max gets Deprez again for the title.
Furnas and Schoenherr will meet for the 149 title, but only after Jon needed TBs to hold off Trence Gillem.
Adam Santoro is in the 157 final.

A couple of Finger Lakes notes:
Dom Lajoie will wrestle for 3rd at 125 (He had two TFs)
Andrew Berreyesa is in the 174 final with three WBF and a 13-0 major.
Seth Janney is in the heavy final with 3 WBF and the rare 5 stallings DQ.

Fredy Stroker cruised through two rounds (TF and :43 pin) before losing to Kyle Simaz 5-3, then getting pinned by someone from RIT. 157 may be an issue all season.

It appears Cornell is going to win this thing going away, but I'm not sure any other D1 school sent their best. Put this way, if Vito had wrestled, there is a good chance Finger Lakes Prep would be in second place.
mountainred
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Quick comment on Lehigh - they look legit and in great shape. I do think not having Wattenberg around impacts our kids. We look alomost soft by comparison. Haven't seen Lehigh - pyhsically they look diff than CU? Let's hope they peak early.

125 - DL - this kid is not making 125 next year. Time to start recruiting this weight hard again.

133 - hope tucker beats him but I have to say NB looks ok at this weight against this level of competition. Both guys in my eyes should be 125.

141 - YD looks like he is getting back in wrestling condition. I like Venosa as well.

149 - Gillem and Furnas about the same A weight class that we will struggle w this year unless someone emerges.

157 is an issue is a major understatement. Stroker looks like he has health issues. Can honestly say I was surprised at how bad Stroker is for a top 10 recruit 2 years ago. And not in shape or the cut somehow to 157 is too hard for him. Simaz wrestles to lose but somehow exhausts Stroker and wins. Gallasso uggggg

184 - good final. Dean looks good.

197 - Very good final match Ben wins I hope

285 - Furman and Janney bothing showing progress
HatchetJack
Expert

Next

Return to Cornell