WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

UNI @ Cornell

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Re: UNI @ Cornell

Postby scribe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:19 am

These are great potential upward ladder matches for many in our young and untested lineup.
scribe
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:42 am

Does it disturb anyone else that Cornell is pimpin new uniforms?
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby HatchetJack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:59 am

I think CU will pull this out. Don't think Joey wins unless UNI has a dawg out there. Don't short sell Honis at HW. He could bump up to 215 with little problem and is a better solution than Sweaney by a decent margin. Guess we'll see how this plays out over time.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby scribe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm

thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:Does it disturb anyone else that Cornell is pimpin new uniforms?

[deleted]

--- Scribe, not ok. Congrats - first time I had to leverage the edit feature I believe. ----
Signed, seawolf
scribe
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:12 pm

[deleted].

Let's keep it at least semi civil folks --- seawolf
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby Mat Rat2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:35 pm

HatchetJack wrote:I think CU will pull this out. Don't think Joey wins unless UNI has a dawg out there. Don't short sell Honis at HW. He could bump up to 215 with little problem and is a better solution than Sweaney by a decent margin. Guess we'll see how this plays out over time.

I agree that Honis could be effective at 285 and at this point I think he is the best option. I hope his heart is in this and he is willing to make the personal sacrifice for the good of the team. If he goes in kicking and screaming it probably won't turn out well.

He probably was walking around at 210-215ish this summer so he can probably get to 215 - 220 ( and stay there) by the second semester. However, it is more than just having a few big meals.

The problem that any undersized heavy weight has is with the really big guys . It is tough to give up 50 pounds and be competitive, it obviously changes the strategy and ability to score.

Again, I like it.
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby machine158 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Mat Rat2 wrote:
HatchetJack wrote:I think CU will pull this out. Don't think Joey wins unless UNI has a dawg out there. Don't short sell Honis at HW. He could bump up to 215 with little problem and is a better solution than Sweaney by a decent margin. Guess we'll see how this plays out over time.

I agree that Honis could be effective at 285 and at this point I think he is the best option. I hope his heart is in this and he is willing to make the personal sacrifice for the good of the team. If he goes in kicking and screaming it probably won't turn out well.

He probably was walking around at 210-215ish this summer so he can probably get to 215 - 220 ( and stay there) by the second semester. However, it is more than just having a few big meals.

The problem that any undersized heavy weight has is with the really big guys . It is tough to give up 50 pounds and be competitive, it obviously changes the strategy and ability to score.

Again, I like it.

I disagree with this. You don't take your 97lber and bump him up to heavies at the last second for the season (maybe as a fill in for a dual). Not a good long term strategy in my book. If Koll thought Honis would be the better answer this year then he would have prepared him to do just that last Spring. As I have stated before....the weight disadvantage can be overcome by sheer athleticism ala Snyder & Cox but I'm not sure that's what we are talking about. Honis is a really good top wrestler and is able to control his opponent. Not sure that will transfer over to Heavies dealing with some serious weight and strength disadvantages. Just my two cents.

This match could be very interesting and I think Cornell might be set up for a nice little upset! :)
"It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan....if you like 2nd place"
machine158
Veteran

Postby ugarte » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:44 pm

machine158 wrote:
Mat Rat2 wrote:

Again, I like it.

I disagree with this. You don't take your 97lber and bump him up to heavies at the last second for the season (maybe as a fill in for a dual). Not a good long term strategy in my book. If Koll thought Honis would be the better answer this year then he would have prepared him to do just that last Spring. As I have stated before....the weight disadvantage can be overcome by sheer athleticism ala Snyder & Cox but I'm not sure that's what we are talking about. Honis is a really good top wrestler and is able to control his opponent. Not sure that will transfer over to Heavies dealing with some serious weight and strength disadvantages. Just my two cents.

This match could be very interesting and I think Cornell might be set up for a nice little upset! :)

My suspicion is that he's a fill-in until Sweany is back from injury. Whether he was deemed a better fit at heavy than Darmstadt, lost 197 in the room or lost a coin flip, I have no idea.

Also, can someone please post Rob's update.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Postby 9inesoft » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:08 pm

21-14 CU...I'll take it!!!!
9inesoft
Novice

Postby CDK » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Anyone trying to watch the match on Ivy League Digital Network? All I'm getting is the ILDN logo screen. I can get the Cornell Brown hockey game but no wrestling???
CDK
Expert

Postby CDK » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Just came on ...
CDK
Expert

Postby Red95 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Starts at 133 - Tucker takedown in the first 15 seconds, racks up 2:45 of riding time in the 1st then gets out from bottom relatively quickly in the 2nd and gets the pin!

6-0 Cornell
Red95
Expert

Postby Red95 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Yianni home debut

Gets a takedown in the 1st, then gets out from bottom in the second followed by a quick takedown.

5-1 Yianni, 40 seconds left in the second. And that's how it ends.

Alber starts on bottom in the 3rd.

Alber out, 5-2 Yianni. 1:35 left in the 3rd.

Alber in, YIanni to a split to defend.

22s left, 5-2 still, and that's how it ends.

9-0 Cornell.
Red95
Expert

Postby Red95 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Furnas-Thomsen.

Thomsen with the takedown, loads of riding time, and two stall calls against Furnas. 3-0 Thomsen.

end of 2nd, 2:54 RT for Thomsen, 3-0.

Thomsen out with a quick escape, 4-0. Takedown, 6-0, RT locked.

Furnas escape, 6-1 (7-1 with RT). Another stall call, 7-1. Takedown Thomsen, 9-1.

Major decision, 10-1 loss to #3 Thomsen.

9-4 Cornell. Galasso up next.
Red95
Expert

Postby Red95 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Galasso - Moore.

Moore with the TD, Galasso with the escape. 2-1 Moore. And another TD, 4-1 Moore.

1:23 RT, Moore out quickly. 5-1 Moore. Galasso struggling here with the length advantage of Moore.

End of 2nd period, down 5-1 still. Galasso with an headgear issue.

Galasso starts down, gets out quickly, 5-2 but 1:24 of RT - almost locked.

Another takedown for Moore, 8-2 final.

9-7 Cornell.

Jon Jay Chavez up now - let's see what he has!
Red95
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cornell