WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Binghamton Bearcat Open Sunday

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Re: Binghamton Bearcat Open Sunday

Postby HatchetJack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:15 pm

The upside: Great job by YD. Vito looked good w some close calls. Tucker has seen him before which makes that match close. Womack looked very good. Russo at 125????? Could that be why Noah is up at 133? He beat a ranked kid from Buffalo by a decent margin. Good to see Chavez at 165. Didn't think we'd see him there or his little bro who looks great as well. Max Dean winning this weight alebit against a true Frosh from Bing who was highly touted.

The middle: Honis and Ben D losing to Mattiace by pretty much the same score as last year which tends to indicate neither has progressed much against him. Thought Ben D might have gotten stronger or less sloppy but maybe not.

The not so upside: Tucker losing to PS kid. 157 - Joey placed about where you'd expect but beat Stroker? That's a sobering thought and most likely means we have 149 Lber wrestling 157 this season. At least he'll be happier. HW - no Sweaney?
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby scribe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Mattiace could be greatly improved too.
scribe
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 pm

For sure. From the looks of the match, it went a lot like last year - actually both the Honis and Ben D matches. I thought Ben D might make a big jump in performance since he was a greyshirt last year. More than possible Frank M jumped up too but as a 22 year old Senior/Blair kid I thought he'd have less upside than than Ben D yoy.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby ugarte » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:52 pm

seawolf wrote:Furnas takes third at 149 -- great job. Seems to be in the front seat for the spot. Notably, Chris Schoenherr took out Hunter Ladnier (Harvard) who was ranked 19th. Schoener comes in 5th. Lost to Verkleeren 11-6. Then to Pipher (also of Penn State by ---- RULE --- what does that mean?

The tournament was set up so that the semifinal losers wrestled for third, and didn't drop into the consy bracket. For some weights the 3d place match was on the championship bracket. For some reason for 149 it wasn't so the consy bracket looked weird.

Thanks for all the recaps.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Postby scribe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Any background and observations on Russo?
scribe
Expert

Postby klehner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:53 am

HatchetJack wrote:Russo at 125????? Could that be why Noah is up at 133? He beat a ranked kid from Buffalo by a decent margin.

Russo only beat a kid from Buffalo through the transitive rule.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:24 am

scribe wrote:Mattiace could be greatly improved too.

He seems to have slowly gotten better throughout his career. When he was a frosh I never thought he'd win an EIWA title.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:31 am

scribe wrote:Any background and observations on Russo?

Mike was a 3x NJ placewinner; 6th at 126 in 2015. He's the more accomplished of the brothers. I want to say that he was briefly a Lehigh commit way back when and changed his mind, but I may be thinking of someone else. Was definitely thought to be Div I caliber when he was in HS. No info on what sidelined him all of last year.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:47 am

A few quick thoughts on Binghamton.

Overall a much better format than previous years in terms of losers bracket, Shortened the action by a couple of hours.

125- Wow! Certainly not the strongest field but Mike Russo was the surprise for the Big Red. He really wrestled very respectable and looks like he may be the guy at 125. Thank goodness ge stepped up to make 125.

There was talk that either Baughman or Tucker would go down to 125 so I assume (?) they both are certified or could certify to do so. I am also hearing that neither of them are volunteering to do so. more to come on this one but for now I think it is Russo.

133- Vito did not win he got second. The referee and especially the table had a really bad match. The ref missed back points for Vito at the end and the table had the colors wrong, screwed up the riding time and generally had no idea. At the end the table had it 8-5 Vito and they changed it to 6-5 Kelly which actually might have been right. What was funny was that Vito knew he was behind and was trying to score. Kelly is actually pretty good, was seeded 13 in the NCAA's last year. We have seen him in Binghamton for a few years now.

Vito is fine, he really pushes the action and has a huge gas tank in addition to being super quick and very technical. We are probably going to spend some time this year debating if holding him back was necessary.

The. Vito/Tucker match was very interesting. The OT point for Vito was for Chaz locking hands and although legit was maybe a bit too quick. I guess you have to say it was either locking hands or not so I guess it was. Vito was the agressor but Chaz was probably closer to scoring.

I think that Chas looked better than Noah but maybe a wrestle off is in order?

141- the match of the tourney was Vani vs Lee in the semi's. Good match 12-7, never in doubt IMO. Yanni is a scoring machine and a real pleasure to watch. He certainly does not look like a freshman. The Northern Iowa match will be very interesting as he has a pretty good guy in that one.

157- Galasso and Stroker was interesting. Correction, Stroker was not only out of gas at the end he was out of gas in the middle not only in that match but also in the previous match. Not surprising at this point but he will be ready to compete second semester. I was a bit surprised to see hin struggle on the bottom, again not only in that match. All that said nice win for Joey although I wish he could make 149, easy for me to say. I know :D

165-John Jay wrestled great.

174- Bama looked good.

184- Ditto Max.

197- Not sure we solved any thing between Hovis and Darmstadt. Also Darmstadt finished higher Hovis wrestled the Ben guy much better. Maybe a wrestled off here?

Hwt. The saga continues. No idea
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 am

Coupla thoughts --

Re Womack at 174: Tyrel White of Columbia has finished 4th at EIWAs three times and is a 3x NCAA qualifier. That was all at 165, but if White is up at 174 to stay he can be expected to contend for a high EIWA place and an all-expenses paid trip to Cleveland. Beating him 6-1 is a good win.

Cornell has two very good 197-pounders at a time when there seems to be a fair number of relatively light 285s. At the Journeymen CC yesterday an Oklahoma State wrestler named Derek White, who appears to be Okie State's backup 197-pounder, threw a wrench into the 285 picture. First #20 Jordan Wood beat #9 Thomas Haines 4-1. Then White beat Wood 3-2. Then White beat Haines 12-1 (!). In the crossover finals bout #11 Mike Hughes barely held off White 1-0. Haines is a "small heavyweight", Wood goes around 250, I don't know about Hughes. Maybe Cornell's 285 solution for this year lies at the dinner table.
JDALU75
Expert

Postby NonspecificJargon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 am

JDALU75 wrote:Coupla thoughts --

Cornell has two very good 197-pounders at a time when there seems to be a fair number of relatively light 285s. At the Journeymen CC yesterday an Oklahoma State wrestler named Derek White, who appears to be Okie State's backup 197-pounder, threw a wrench into the 285 picture. First #20 Jordan Wood beat #9 Thomas Haines 4-1. Then White beat Wood 3-2. Then White beat Haines 12-1 (!). In the crossover finals bout #11 Mike Hughes barely held off White 1-0. Haines is a "small heavyweight", Wood goes around 250, I don't know about Hughes. Maybe Cornell's 285 solution for this year lies at the dinner table.

I think you are on to something, but we will see.
NonspecificJargon
Novice

Postby HatchetJack » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:17 pm

I think if anyone goes Heavy it is Ben Honis not Ben Darmstadt. Would have been best to solve that issue at the end of last season. This could be a case of what's best for the wrestle-off is not best for the team.

Surprised at the little intel on Baughman and Sweaney.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:54 pm

HatchetJack wrote:Surprised at the little intel on Baughman and Sweaney.

No news is good news, and all that.
JDALU75
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Curious if Cornell insiders think Diakomihalis will beat out Will Koll for 141?
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby ugarte » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:28 pm

thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:Curious if Cornell insiders think Diakomihalis will beat out Will Koll for 141?

all comes down to the wrestle-off
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cornell