WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Binghamton Bearcat Open Sunday

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Binghamton Bearcat Open Sunday

Postby Mat Rat2 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:42 am

Looks like Trac is going the follow the Bearcat Open again this year.

They have some preliminary information posted with more to come as (hopefully) teams like Lehigh and Penn State define their entries.

I have seen some great match ups over the years in this event I.e. Dean/Ruth, Leen/J.P.. They do a much better job than most wrestling tournaments making this an easy event to watch in terms of who is wrestling where and the upcoming matches. That was not always the case in the past when so many wrestled unattached wearing all kind of singlets. Other tournaments could learn from what they have developed in Binghamton. Hats off to them! Also, in case you have not noticed Binghamton has a very respectful team this year.

Combined with the fact that as many as 45 (31 Cornell and 14 FLWC) "Big Red" guys are listed this is a great early season event. Rob has historically used this event and the NYS Collegiate Tournament to define the early season lineup. Past crowds have been 1-2k max so plenty of good seats with the ability to get really close to selected matches if you choose to do so.

More to come as teams fill in the blanks this week. A lot of very interesting potential match ups..

Any one else plan on attending?
Mat Rat2
Expert

Re: Binghamton Bearcat Open Sunday

Postby klehner » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:39 am

Mat Rat2 wrote:Looks like Trac is going the follow the Bearcat Open again this year.

They have some preliminary information posted with more to come as (hopefully) teams like Lehigh and Penn State define their entries.

I have seen some great match ups over the years in this event I.e. Dean/Ruth, Leen/J.P.. They do a much better job than most wrestling tournaments making this an easy event to watch in terms of who is wrestling where and the upcoming matches. That was not always the case in the past when so many wrestled unattached wearing all kind of singlets. Other tournaments could learn from what they have developed in Binghamton. Hats off to them! Also, in case you have not noticed Binghamton has a very respectful team this year.

Combined with the fact that as many as 45 (31 Cornell and 14 FLWC) "Big Red" guys are listed this is a great early season event. Rob has historically used this event and the NYS Collegiate Tournament to define the early season lineup. Past crowds have been 1-2k max so plenty of good seats with the ability to get really close to selected matches if you choose to do so.

More to come as teams fill in the blanks this week. A lot of very interesting potential match ups..

Any one else plan on attending?

If they post the brackets the night before and the "must-see" guys are there, I might get up early and drive three hours that morning. Even if they don't
post the brackets, I might go. So many new guys to see for the first time. Then again, $11.95 to watch from home is tempting...

Track says 9am CT: so 10am local time for the start?
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:29 pm

I can't wait to see 133. Hopefully, Tucker and Vito are on opposite sides as we see them in the finals. Stroker at 157? Thought he might go 165. That would be nice and then pressure Joey G at 157.

Honis and Ben D at 197. Will be interesting to see how that one comes out.

Noah at 133? Surprised by this but maybe he was injured and could not get weight down. Assume he certified for 125 already. We are very lean at 125 and 133 this year and cannot really afford any setbacks.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:18 pm

The two things that surprise me are Baughman at 133 and no sign of Jeramy Sweany. I know the NCAA has eased off on the weightmaking rules, so Cornell doesn't need a 125 for awhile. But Sweaney doesn't have to worry about the scale.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby scribe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:56 am

I could still make 125 if the coach needs me.

(Just remove both of my legs)
scribe
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:53 am

Hey - don't discount the size and weight of your head as well.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:45 am

I dunno... 125 lbs is quite a lot of brain! :wink:
Red Blades
Expert

Postby klehner » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:08 pm

JDALU75 wrote:The two things that surprise me are Baughman at 133 and no sign of Jeramy Sweany. I know the NCAA has eased off on the weightmaking rules, so Cornell doesn't need a 125 for awhile. But Sweaney doesn't have to worry about the scale.

Cornell now has Mike Russo at 125 (was he there before?), and one Tunde Sogo at 285. He's a freshman from Germantown Friends in PA. 25-0 w/18 pins his senior year (not counting post-season tourneys). Not even listed on the CU roster, so a walk-on? Got pinned by Janney at Nat'l Preps en route to a 7th place finish.
klehner
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Russo was there; had doubts about him making 125. I never heard of Sogo before.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby klehner » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:44 pm

JDALU75 wrote:Russo was there; had doubts about him making 125. I never heard of Sogo before.

Registered is not the same as showing up, unfortunately. We'll have to see on Sunday who really wrestles.

At the Cornell/Lehigh level of wrestling excellence, someone like Sogo wouldn't have garnered a first look, much less any interest.
klehner
Expert

Postby mountainred » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:30 pm

klehner wrote:
JDALU75 wrote:The two things that surprise me are Baughman at 133 and no sign of Jeramy Sweany. I know the NCAA has eased off on the weightmaking rules, so Cornell doesn't need a 125 for awhile. But Sweaney doesn't have to worry about the scale.

Cornell now has Mike Russo at 125 (was he there before?), and one Tunde Sogo at 285. He's a freshman from Germantown Friends in PA. 25-0 w/18 pins his senior year (not counting post-season tourneys). Not even listed on the CU roster, so a walk-on? Got pinned by Janney at Nat'l Preps en route to a 7th place finish.

Janney's pin was pretty unusual for a heavy:http://www.flowrestling.org/video/1114260-285-quarterfinals-seth-janey-malvern-vs-tunde-sogo-germantown-friends#.WgHrKGhSyUk
mountainred
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:00 pm

klehner wrote:At the Cornell/Lehigh level of wrestling excellence, someone like Sogo wouldn't have garnered a first look, much less any interest.

One could say the same about McZiggy Richards. He's stuck it out five years and is now a viable option.
JDALU75
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:23 pm

JDALU75 wrote:
klehner wrote:At the Cornell/Lehigh level of wrestling excellence, someone like Sogo wouldn't have garnered a first look, much less any interest.

One could say the same about McZiggy Richards. He's stuck it out five years and is now a viable option.

I know this is dating myself, but... I can't help thinking - Ziggy Stardust?
Red Blades
Expert

Postby klehner » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:49 pm

New team entries keep popping up: Princeton (no individuals yet) and UVA (one entry), plus Brown/Columbia/Penn/Harvard already there with large contingents.
klehner
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 am

Lehigh is wresting at the Journeyman and Penn State has a dual so we will not see their top guys. Also the East Stroudsburg tourney is the same day so that may attract the backups. The last I looked Penn State was listed as a team with no registered wrestlers and Lehigh is not sited at all. I should have looked at their schedules, just too lazy :)

Quick question re the "new" weight rule. It looks like the 1.5% language is still the but the certification date has been changed to the date of the first competition. Not sure if that means team or individual competition. Since Binghamton is officially an open event I guess Northern Iowa would be the first team competition.

The issue here is Baughman. If he in fact wrestles and weighs in at 133 Sunday can he "certify" and wrestle 125 against Northern Iowa? I hope so but am not sure about that. One thing is certain, they need him at 125 this season. There was some talk about Tucker making 125 but I would be very surprised if that happens.I hope we are not going to be discussing the lack of and importance of recruiting 125 guys again this season.

Baughman, Vito, and Tucker will be very interesting in Binghamton if they are all at 133. I am inclined to go Vito, Tucker and Baughman in that order simply a guess. I was looking forward to seeing Vito against Parker and Lehigh's young guys but it looks like that may not happen.

Much of the action and interest on Sunday is the Cornell/FLWC head to head matches that will sort things out a bit and along with the NYS Tourney develop the early season lineup.

Although we have 41 guys registered, their "very effective big board" and Trac make it relatively easy to follow. I can tell you that without those two tools is would be an impossible tasks to keep up. I am basing this on what they did last year so I hope they do it the same way.
Mat Rat2
Expert

Next

Return to Cornell