WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net
 

Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby Legger » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:28 pm

**** Even though Cornell may be in a semi re-building mode, (hate to say it but it is about time after the long run they have had), I am very sure they will put a very credible team on the mat. Come the EIWAs I would be very surprised if they are not giving Princeton and others a real run for at least 2nd. Never count a Rob Koll team out. The system and coaching is just too strong for a big lapse even though they lost a bunch of hammers.
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:34 am
Location: Cary, NC, by the lake.

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby JDALU75 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:30 pm

ugarte wrote:Artigliere's absence is a disappointment. Add me to the chorus of people curious about his omission.

I can see that some omissions might be the coach writing from memory and simply forgetting someone on the depth chart. But I was expecting to see Artigliere listed as the starter. Hard to forget in that case.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert
 
Posts: 3712
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Forest, VA

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby Red Blades » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:20 am

Response from Rob to some of the above questions:
Clarification Time

What would a newsletter be if for not the follow up newsletter chalked for an explanations and corrections? Here you go!

1. Since my last newsletter I have been barraged with queries regarding the whereabouts of Dillon Artigliere, Jimmy Overheiser, Jacob Anderson and Dylan Realbuto. Sadly Dillon, Jimmy and Jake are unlikely to see action this year or in the future, due to injuries. All three remain on the roster and are fixtures in Friedman Center, but now they spend most of their time in the weight room and study hall. The good news is Dylan is fine and will be competing at 149. I missed Dylan in my last write-up because trainer Chris, had pulled him from the list because he was in the process of recertifying his weight.

2. Yes, Las Vegas is still a 2 day tournament. Our schedule had it listed as one day. I’m pretty sure everyone who asked me this question knew the answer but wanted to get credit for catching a mistake!

3. Lastly I need to clarify that in my opening haiku, one line spoke about “Cornell’s lumbering cheerleaders…” wife Rachel yelled at me for implying Cornell has large cheerleaders! My first reaction was to remind Rachel that she went to Penn State so she’s obviously educationally challenged and that my readers would appreciate my well-intended anthropomorphism. But then I remembered guys like John Fogarty, Ben Morgan, Seth Charles, heck the entire New Family graduated from Cornell so maybe not! So for anyone who doesn’t know what an anthropomorphism is, (without looking it up), just know that I was attempting to conjure an arboreal image. For anyone who doesn’t know what arboreal is (without looking it up), you obviously didn’t graduate from CALS. For anyone who doesn’t know what CALS is, (without looking it up), you obviously didn’t attend Cornell. From this point on I will let Hahn focus on the poetry.

Season Kick-off

If you want to see everyone in action come to Binghamton on November 12.

Each year most of the team attends the Bearcat Open, hosted at Binghamton University. The tournament provides us with an opportunity to see how our freshman compete outside the wrestling room. In most cases the highest place finisher will start for Cornell in our first home dual against Northern Iowa on Friday, November 17.

Season Tickets

Please help us pack the gym! We have very few chair-back seats remaining but we do have General Admission. The Friedman Center only accommodates a little over 1,100 and I am certain we will sell out many times this year. Help us make that happen before the season starts! http://www.cornellbigredtickets.com

NCAA Tickets

In order to get an idea on the amount of tickets we need to order for the NCAA Championships in Cleveland this year. Please fill out the this on-line form: Cornell NCAA Wrestling Tickets

That’s all for now! All the best, Rob
Red Blades
Expert
 
Posts: 6067
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: Bloomfield, NJ

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby scribe » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Blackie tells us the Lehigh cheerleaders could wrestle heavyweight
User avatar
scribe
Expert
 
Posts: 6349
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:30 am
Location: NYC

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby ugarte » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:41 am

Red Blades wrote:Response from Rob to some of the above questions:
Clarification Time

1. Since my last newsletter I have been barraged with queries regarding the whereabouts of Dillon Artigliere... Sadly Dillon [is] unlikely to see action this year or in the future, due to injuries.

Kind of went unnoticed but Artigliere got hurt at the Southern Scuffle and didn't wrestle again, as a sub or otherwise. I think the Rise of Bama obscured the fact that Artigliere wasn't even on the mat when the team was shuffling people around to compensate for injuries and illnesses and nobody asked after him a year ago or realized how severe the injuries were. Sorry to see a promising career end this way.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:00 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby seawolf » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:40 am

Sad to hear. The sport is hard on the body. And mind.

About the team — first time in a long time we don’t have a clear NC contender. Some will point to Yianni but IMO that is way premature and not likely.

Big question for me is Ben D. Kid got unreal hype for about a month. Then it wore off. Shows flashes of brilliance but guys get to his legs way too easily. He takes big risks. Really curious how much was him exploring and how much was tactical errors / lack of strength. Anyone think he can beat Honis? Get to R12 or even AA? 197 is a weight that seems thin to some. No disrespect for Honis — I think Honis may be the better guy right now.
seawolf
Expert
 
Posts: 4959
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:19 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby JDALU75 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:40 am

ugarte wrote: Kind of went unnoticed but Artigliere got hurt at the Southern Scuffle and didn't wrestle again, as a sub or otherwise. I think the Rise of Bama obscured the fact that Artigliere wasn't even on the mat when the team was shuffling people around to compensate for injuries and illnesses and nobody asked after him a year ago or realized how severe the injuries were. Sorry to see a promising career end this way.

I noticed the withdrawal at the time and that he didn't compete after that, but that doesn't by itself mean a major or career-ending injury. For someone not in the picture for conference tournaments an injury at New Year's requiring six weeks off is a season-ender; not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. There was no reason, without further information, to assume the worst. Colleges currently provide little or no information about illnesses and injuries to protect the wrestlers' privacy. Stuff often leaks out, usually from the families, but rarely from the schools.

Contrast that with what I saw recently while doing some research -- I ran across an article from Lehigh's student newspaper, about 1960, that mentioned a wrestler's injury and went into extreme detail about how it happened, what it looked and sounded like, what the diagnosis was, and how long the individual would be expected to be out of the lineup. This was long before CAT scans and MRIs were available. The write-up was kind of stomach-churning and there's no need for that extent of information. Given the two extremes I'll side with the cone-of-silence that we have now.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert
 
Posts: 3712
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Forest, VA

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby HatchetJack » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:53 am

From what I've seen, Ben D presents a funky style for even AAs. In a head to head, I am guessing Honis wins as he knows his style by now and is generally a conservative wrestler. That could have changed if Darmstadt has gotten stronger. Darmstadt lost in solid fashion to Mattiace last year and Frank M is ranked like 16th. He also got pinned I think by Rocco Caywood with a half nelson. From what I saw, Ben D's riding got a lot better last year and a lot less sloppy. I don't know about his takedown defense on his legs. I have not seen Ben D since his performance in fresstyle and he did not do too great in that format. Will be interesting to see where this goes but I am guessing both guys will be multiple entries into tournaments at 197.
HatchetJack
Expert
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby ugarte » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:03 am

JDALU75 wrote:
ugarte wrote: Kind of went unnoticed but Artigliere got hurt at the Southern Scuffle and didn't wrestle again, as a sub or otherwise...

I noticed the withdrawal at the time and that he didn't compete after that, but that doesn't by itself mean a major or career-ending injury...

I've since been informed that it is a different injury, not the one sustained at the Scuffle, that is keeping him off the mat.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:00 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby machine158 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:47 pm

HatchetJack wrote:Some quick comments...

Why greyshirt two heavies at the same time? Sweaney is not leaps and bounds ahead of any competitive heavy so I'd think you'd want to stagger one and then the other if needed. Unless...



Are you familiar with any heavyweight ranked below the top 50 who came in as a true freshman and made an impact? I don't know this for sure...but unless a heavy is top 20 or above I would think they would be taking a year for development. You cannot compare college heavyweight class with any other.
"It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan....if you like 2nd place"
machine158
Veteran
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby klehner » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 pm

machine158 wrote:
HatchetJack wrote:Some quick comments...

Why greyshirt two heavies at the same time? Sweaney is not leaps and bounds ahead of any competitive heavy so I'd think you'd want to stagger one and then the other if needed. Unless...



Are you familiar with any heavyweight ranked below the top 50 who came in as a true freshman and made an impact? I don't know this for sure...but unless a heavy is top 20 or above I would think they would be taking a year for development. You cannot compare college heavyweight class with any other.


Seth Janney was ranked #10 in the class of 2017, and Brendan Furman was ranked #18 (both by Intermat) as of March, 2017.

Furman was the PA state champ, and Janney the National Prep champ. Pretty good palmares.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby HatchetJack » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Not sure how to answer your question machine 158. I am guessing either of these two guys woukd give Sweaney a go as would a few of the 195 Lbers. My point is that stocking 2 heavies while they both sit seems a bit odd when one of them could surpass your current heavy in short order. Most teams would want to stagger the heavies eligibility if possible. Our current roster is not ranked in the top 20. Guessing we'd have more upside by season's end with one of the two frosh than Sweaney. I could be wrong for sure but so could you.
HatchetJack
Expert
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby ugarte » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:08 am

HatchetJack wrote:Not sure how to answer your question machine 158. I am guessing either of these two guys woukd give Sweaney a go as would a few of the 195 Lbers. My point is that stocking 2 heavies while they both sit seems a bit odd when one of them could surpass your current heavy in short order. Most teams would want to stagger the heavies eligibility if possible. Our current roster is not ranked in the top 20. Guessing we'd have more upside by season's end with one of the two frosh than Sweaney. I could be wrong for sure but so could you.

I guess the feeling is that if you think it's a close call between the greyshirts and Sweany you are risking a guy burning a year on the bench and losing the full year of competition/development that he'd get at FLCC. I'm surprised that neither are in the room pushing Sweany as well, but it's always possible for one of them to jump aboard in January if Sweany is faltering or one of them is showing precocious results.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:00 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby machine158 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:18 am

ugarte wrote:
HatchetJack wrote:Not sure how to answer your question machine 158. I am guessing either of these two guys woukd give Sweaney a go as would a few of the 195 Lbers. My point is that stocking 2 heavies while they both sit seems a bit odd when one of them could surpass your current heavy in short order. Most teams would want to stagger the heavies eligibility if possible. Our current roster is not ranked in the top 20. Guessing we'd have more upside by season's end with one of the two frosh than Sweaney. I could be wrong for sure but so could you.

I guess the feeling is that if you think it's a close call between the greyshirts and Sweany you are risking a guy burning a year on the bench and losing the full year of competition/development that he'd get at FLCC. I'm surprised that neither are in the room pushing Sweany as well, but it's always possible for one of them to jump aboard in January if Sweany is faltering or one of them is showing precocious results.


I hear lots of assumptions in these posts. What we know is that both are greyshirts. Why is that? Do you think that possibly the coaches know who they have in the room and what they are capable of? Do you think its a possibility that these two heavies need development? You have two other heavies in the Cornell room now and my guess is that they can't compete with them at this stage of their career. If thats not true...then you would have to assume that the coaches want to put an inferior product on the mat. Not very logical if you ask me.
"It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan....if you like 2nd place"
machine158
Veteran
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby machine158 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:24 am

klehner wrote:
machine158 wrote:
HatchetJack wrote:Some quick comments...

Why greyshirt two heavies at the same time? Sweaney is not leaps and bounds ahead of any competitive heavy so I'd think you'd want to stagger one and then the other if needed. Unless...



Are you familiar with any heavyweight ranked below the top 50 who came in as a true freshman and made an impact? I don't know this for sure...but unless a heavy is top 20 or above I would think they would be taking a year for development. You cannot compare college heavyweight class with any other.


Seth Janney was ranked #10 in the class of 2017, and Brendan Furman was ranked #18 (both by Intermat) as of March, 2017.

Furman was the PA state champ, and Janney the National Prep champ. Pretty good palmares.


You are correct. They are ranked #10 & #18....at their weight. I am referring to the top 100 recruits. I believe they were both below the 50 mark and maybe close to #60 or #70 overall.
"It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan....if you like 2nd place"
machine158
Veteran
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cornell

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests