Postby Red Blades » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:16 am

Here it is, Sportsfans! :D
Rob Koll wrote:Oaks suppress envy,
as cousin Maples
display dominant color.

Cornell’s lumbering cheerleaders
RED is back,
so too is the season!

Sorry it’s been so long since I last checked in so I figured I’d make it up to you with a little haiku. I’m sure most of you share my passion for the much maligned Japanese poetry. Truly a lost art and one that needs to be rediscovered. And also a great way to start a newsletter. Especially when you are challenged by multiple friends to “start your next newsletter with a poem”!

Much has happened but little has changed since my last update. Ten names have been retired from lockers only to be replaced by ten new names. Clueless freshman ask obvious questions. Mike Grey spends 10 hours a day drilling and working out, and Damion is still “never” wrong. I love consistency! One exception is the recent departure of Donnie Vinson. Donnie accepted a position as the co-first assistant coaching position at NC State. This is a great opportunity for Donnie and a positive step for his personal coaching goals and aspirations. Donnie has done an outstanding job for Cornell and will be sorely missed.

Gabe Dean Joins Staff

With Donnie’s departure I am thrilled, and relieved, to be able to add Gabe to our staff. Seldom does a program have someone of Gabe’s acumen ready to step in, let alone on such short notice. http://www.newyorkwrestlingnews.com/new ... id=1024271

Youth Movement

I do not recall ever having so many weight classes up for grabs. I’ve been quoted on numerous occasions that I don’t believe in rebuilding years. Based on our preseason ranking of 31, (3rd in the EIWA), I think the pollsters are trying to prove me wrong! The good news is if we finish that low I will ask personally ask Andy Noel to fire me, so no need to run my butt out of town. With no further ado here is my preseason forecast.

125 Sophomore, Noah Baughman placed 3rd at the EIWA and went posted a 26-12 record as a freshman. Noah has matured a great deal over the summer and now looks like he is at least 16. That alone will take him to the NCAA tournament where he belonged last year. His goal this year should be to not only get to the championships, but to find his way onto the podium.

Sophomore, Mike Russo was injured last year but is finally healthy and ready to roll. Mike was a 3x NJ state place-winner. Two years ago Mike competed for the Finger Lakes program.

133 Sophomore, Charles “Chas” Tucker was sidelined with injuries for the past two years. Although he has not seen much action I am confident Chas will adjust seamlessly into the line-up. This weight is one of our biggest concerns due to the graduation of Mark Grey. I can say with no hesitation Cornell is more than ok at 133!

Sophomore, Jacob Lehr spotted Noah on short notice last season at 125. He has grown into 133 and I expect we will most likely see him a 141 next year.

141 Freshman Yianni Diakomihalis steps into line-up with “Kyle Dake” like expectations. Certainly this is not fair but it’s his fault for winning two Cadet World Championships. He is pretty darn good and I expect/know he will be even better by March.

Junior, Will Koll has racked up 33 victories over the past two years and is more than competitive at either 141-149. As I’ve said in the past it is great to have someone with such freakish, inherited god given talent!

Sophomore, Trence Gillem 11-6, Senior Griffin Higginbotham 8-3 last year, sophomore Ian McNitt 2-4 and freshman, Max Pickett, who joins the squad after spending last year training with the Finger Lakes RTC yes, Max is Duke’s younger, better looking, and more intelligent brother, make this weight class one of our deepest.

149 Junior, Jonathan Furnas returns won 17 bouts and placed 6th at the EIWA’s last season. He returned to campus as a significantly more powerful and confident grappler.

Freshman, Hunter Richard won 3 NY state championships along with being named all-state running back and linebacker in football. Hunter is a tireless worker and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the line-up sooner than later.

Sophomores, Matt Russo 12-6 and Chris Schoenherr 9-4 both had respectable freshman campaigns. Either wrestler could easily break into the line-up at any time this year.

Senior, Connor Lapresi didn’t see much action last year due to injuries. Connor has been a part of the Cornell wrestling fabric since he first rolled into the Friedman Wrestling Center when he was 5 or 6. It’s hard to believe he is a senior!

157 Junior, Joey Galasso struggled with injuries throughout most of year after coming off a banner freshman season. He has bumped up a weight this year and looks much more like the Joey of old.

Junior, Kyle Simaz saw limited varsity action last year and finished with a 10-5 record. Kyle is the self-proclaimed most “jacked”, (muscular), of the Simaz boys. I’m not sure if that is true but he looks like a completely different, and much more physical, wrestler.

Freshman, Adam Santoro placed fourth in NY state in high school. Last year he spent the year training with the Finger Lakes Wrestling Club.

Juniors, Rami Pellumbi, aka the Alaskan Assassin, went 8-9 last year and Derek Krajewski 3-4 fill-out this weight class.

165 Junior, Drew Garcia has compiled a 25-11 career record at 165-184 pounds. Drew hasn’t wrestled much at 165 and if he can effectively manage his weight he will be tough to beat. Drew was a 3x MI state champion coming out of high school but has been stuck All-Americans for the past two years.

Sophomore, Milik Dawkins went 13-6 as a freshman. Milik is very good on his feet and has improved his mat game. He has shown the ability to compete at a very high level and he has also demonstrated a propensity for inconsistency. We are working on the latter!

Senior, Matt Russo 6-6 last year is one of most focused and driven wrestlers. Matt will not be our most accomplished wrestlers on the mat but he is one of our most important team members and I great leader in and out of the room.

Freshman, Foster Karmon 3x MI state champion. Last year Foster was enjoying a successful year with the FLWC until suffering a season ending injury. Foster is good on his feet, but will make a living with his top work. If Foster continues his current state of improvement I expect he will be a strong contender for the starting roll.

Junior, Jon Jay Chavez has spent the past two years training primarily in the Greco Roman discipline. Although he was also training with the team he did not compete. He is the wild card at this weight.

Sophomore, Jaried Buxton 2x Alabama state place-winner and Freshman, Jonah Barley 4th, 6th PA state championships round out this weight.

174 Sophomore, Brandon “Bama” Womack has worked himself into a full-fledged 174 pound wrestler. He has looked very good in the preseason and he will have no problems moving up to the higher weight class.

184 Freshman, Max Dean will take over for his big brother. The expectations on Max are naturally high because of his name. I can’t say his career will be equal or better than Gabe’s simply because Gabe enjoyed one of the greatest careers of any college wrestler. I will say that Cornell fans should feel confident every time he steps on the mat.

Junior, Jacob Tayler will be back in school for the second semester. The only thing holding Max back from All-American honors might be Jake. Jake has wrestled behind Gabe for the past two years. He is technical and tough!

197 Junior, Ben Honis went 30-16 last year and won one match at the NCAA tournament. Ben is one of our wrestlers who I believe has made the most improvement over the past year. Ben in good in every position, is fast, and strong.

Freshman, Ben Darmstadt might be the only thing standing in the way of Ben Honis from All-American honors. Darmstadt is brutally tough on mat and funky on his feet.

Senior, Rob Incorvaia will strap on his Asics for one more season. Rob is another athlete who has been a tremendous addition to the team despite not racking up gaudy statistics.

285 Junior, Jeramy Sweany has demonstrated the ability compete with, and beat some of the country’s better heavyweights. This year he returns to the mats no lighter but leaner, stronger, and in better shape. I’m confident this year we will see Jeramy enjoy the rewards of realizing his potential.

Senior, McZiggy Richards has struggled with injuries throughout his career. He is finally healthy and I am excited to see “Ziggy” compete at full-strength.

Senior, Dennis Atiyeh’s career has mirrored Ziggy’s, except Dennis struggled with mono. Fortunately he has received a clean bill of health so it’s now time to play!

Season Tickets

I am pleased to announce that season tickets are finally available. We experienced a changeover in the ticket office with the retirement of Gene Nighman. To Order tickets please go to: http://www.cornellbigredtickets.com

NCAA Tickets

In order to get an idea on the amount of tickets we need to order for the NCAA Championships in Cleveland this year. Please fill out the this on-line form: Cornell NCAA Wrestling Tickets

Final Schedule

DATE, TEAM, TIME, LOCATION

11/17/2017, Northern Iowa, 6:30, Bartels Hall
11/19/2017, NY States, All Day, Bartels Hall
12/1/2017, CK Las Vegas, All Day, Las Vegas Convention Center
12/17/2017, Buffalo, 7:00, Buffalo, NY
12/29-30/2017, South Beach Duals, All Day, Fort Lauderdale, FL
* North Dakota State
* Minnesota
* Kent State
* Missouri
1/19/2018, Lehigh, 6:30, Friedman Wrestling Center
1/27/2018, Brown, 1:00, Friedman Wrestling Center
1/27/2018, Harvard, 3:00, Friedman Wrestling Center
2/3/2018, Columbia, 3:00, Friedman Wrestling Center
2/4/2018, Lock Haven, 1:00, Lock Haven
2/9/2018, Drexel, 7:00, Philadelphia, PA
2/10/2018, Penn, 12:00, Philadelphia, PA
2/10/2018, Princeton, 6:00, Princeton, NJ
2/16/2018, North Carolina, 6:30, Friedman Wrestling Center

3/4-4/2018, EIWA, All Day, Hofstra, NY

3/15,16,17/2018, NCAA, All Day, Cleveland, OH

That's all for now!

All the best, Rob
Red Blades
Expert

Re: Rob Koll's Fall Newsletter

Postby Asa Packer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:16 am

Are there two Matt Russos? Soph at 149 and Sr at 165; or is that a typo?

also, what happened to Dylan "lil" Realbuto?
Darian Cruz, 2017 NCAA Champion at 125 lbs!!!
Asa Packer
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 am

Not one of Cole's better teams. EIWA third would be an accomplishment.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby BP-LU87 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 am

No Artigliere???
BP-LU87
Expert

Postby NonspecificJargon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:53 am

Redblades, can you post a link to the sign up for NCAA tickets that coach Koll refers to in this letter? Also how does one sign up for the email list?
NonspecificJargon
Novice

Postby Red Blades » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:39 pm

NonspecificJargon wrote:Redblades, can you post a link to the sign up for NCAA tickets that coach Koll refers to in this letter? Also how does one sign up for the email list?

NSJ, to get on Rob's mailing list, ya gotta join the super secret Cornell Wrestling Fanclub - check you private messages, I sent you who to contact! :wink:

The ticket sign up can be found here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... rm?c=0&w=1
Red Blades
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Asa Packer wrote:Are there two Matt Russos? Soph at 149 and Sr at 165; or is that a typo?

No typo, there are two Matt Russos on the team. One is a little bigger than the other.
Red Blades
Expert

Postby Asa Packer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:18 pm

"No typo, there are two Matt Russos on the team. One is a little bigger than the other."
That's not going to be confusing. :roll:
A few years ago Ohio State football had two Corey Browns. A DB from Pittsburgh and a WR from Philadelphia.
They were known as Philly Brown and Pitt Brown. I looked on roster and the bigger Matt Russo is from NY and 149 is from NJ.
just tryin to help... :wink:
Darian Cruz, 2017 NCAA Champion at 125 lbs!!!
Asa Packer
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:30 pm

No mention of transfer Fredy Stroker.

Kind of surprised to see Garcia mentioned at 165. He hasn't wrestled below 174 in three years at FLWC and Cornell.

The older, taller Matt Russo is listed as Matthew Russo on the Cornell site. I go with Matt D. Russo, to distinguish from Matt M. Russo, the younger, shorter Matt Russo who is brother to Mike Russo of Cornell. I don't know if any of the three are related to Mike Russo of Brown.

I'm just glad I don't have to keep track of NC State's bouts, where I'd have problems with twins Jamal and Jamel Morris.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:14 pm

thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:EIWA third would be an accomplishment.

Yeah. Right.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby scribe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:39 pm

An accomplishment for the 1st and 2nd place teams.
scribe
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Some quick comments...

Why greyshirt two heavies at the same time? Sweaney is not leaps and bounds ahead of any competitive heavy so I'd think you'd want to stagger one and then the other if needed. Unless...

Joey at 157 - lots of ins and outs here but my takeaway is that Joey is more worried about wrestling healthy and not cutting weight and hoping that strategy translates into wins. He might as well go up to 165 where I am guessing he'll have similar results but less weight to cut. 157/165 - we've had 4 plus years to recruit and backfill these weights and the overall situation it is a tad bit concerning if you're gunning for a top 10 program. There's nobody to pressure Joey back down to 149.

Should be a fun season to watch. There are going to be some bumps in the road. Hang on.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby Ranger123 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Not surprised on the two heavies are greyshirting. During the recruitment of my son Coach Koll was 100% on board for doing what is best for my son when it came to deferring. His exact words, "do what is best for the kid and the team will take care of itself". I'm sure someone on here will have examples to contradict this. There are always exceptions and there is probably a story behind those exceptions.
Ranger123
Novice

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:15 am

Lot of clutter in that room not sure how they keep it all straight? Three weights with D1 talent (141, 174, 197), all the rest looks like Columbia.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby Ranger123 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:29 am

thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:Lot of clutter in that room not sure how they keep it all straight? Three weights with D1 talent (141, 174, 197), all the rest looks like Columbia.

I don't know about that. At a minimum 125 and 184 also have ranked/NCAA qualifier level talent
Ranger123
Novice

Next

Return to Cornell