WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Vito Arujau's Greyshirt

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Vito Arujau's Greyshirt

Postby NJDan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:31 am

If Yanni D. is not taking a greyshirt, why is Vito Arujau?

Aren't they both world class? Is it because Cornell has better guys at Arujau's weight?
NJDan
Expert

Re: Vito Arujau's Greyshirt

Postby JDALU75 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:52 pm

NJDan wrote:If Yanni D. is not taking a greyshirt, why is Vito Arujau?

Aren't they both world class? Is it because Cornell has better guys at Arujau's weight?

At EIWAs I was told by a source I consider to be solid that both were definitely greyshirting. So I was surprised to see Yianni on Cornell's roster.

Maybe not everyone goes to FLWC just to work on their wrestling.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby hofman19 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:36 pm

At EIWAs I was told by a source I consider to be solid that both were definitely greyshirting. So I was surprised to see Yianni on Cornell's roster.

Maybe not everyone goes to FLWC just to work on their wrestling.

Don't know if you are implying this or not, but Vito is not a grades issue...He graduated near the top of his class.

If anything, I think he is going just so he can grow into more of a college 133....He's a pretty lanky kid.

Tucker was legit coming out of high school and will do a fine job holding down the spot for the season.
hofman19
Veteran

Postby Mat Rat2 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:22 am

Don't discount Vito at 141 and Yanni at 149 at some point, maybe be 2018-19 (not as likely) or 2019-20.

Tucker is pretty good and hopefully is going to see considerable time on the mat barring injury.
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:13 pm

Vito won his last NYS title at 138 and was projected as a 141/149 pounder in college, so does he really need time to grow into 133? Sounds like it's more likely that both guys looked like 141-pounders this year, so one of them greyshirting allows a year to go by before decisions need to be made.

Chaz Tucker was a highly regarded recruit but he's 0-0 after two years at Cornell. Let's hope his injuries don't hold him back any longer.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby klehner » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:35 pm

JDALU75 wrote:Vito won his last NYS title at 138 and was projected as a 141/149 pounder in college, so does he really need time to grow into 133? Sounds like it's more likely that both guys looked like 141-pounders this year, so one of them greyshirting allows a year to go by before decisions need to be made.

Vito also took second at the Junior WTT in June at 60kg (132).
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby Ranger123 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:08 pm

First hand info ...

Yianni is a world class wrestler with big goals. He also has experienced some injury issues. Therefore, it makes the most sense to get him on the mat and wrestling for the Big Red ASAP.

Vito did wrestle 138 as a senior, but is definitely NOT a big "138 pounder". Definitely don't see him as a 149. In fact, while watching him in practice a few guys around me wondered if he might be a 125 pounder. What I've heard is he doesn't want to cut any weight and just compete at 141. Nothing wrong with that. But greyshirting this year while Yianni is at 141 allows Vito to better figure out where he wants to be. Based on what I saw of him in a few live goes in the room he can compete at 133 or 141 or even 149 if he adds some muscle. Like Yianni, he is definitely a special talent.
Ranger123
Novice

Postby hofman19 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:14 am

Exactly.

Vito could have easily made 132 this season. He wrestled up because doing so allowed Jacori to go 132.

It's important to understand that almost all of the elite guys from LI and Section V. train/have trained together at VHW and G2.

So, in a way, it was kind of mapped out where everyone would go, so that Greg D., Busiello, Teemer, Vito, Yianni (before the injury), Giss, Pappas, etc could all be separate from one another.

If there was anyway of doing it, I am sure they would have tried getting Silverstein (another VHW kid) his own weight class too...Unfortunately, he ended being odd man out and got stuck opposite Arujau.
hofman19
Veteran

Postby HatchetJack » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:56 am

I think folks are going to be very surprised by Tucker and his performance if he stays healthy. At 5'1" I am hoping he has no issues making 133. Would be nice to have a 133 that drops little weight for duals etc. I think he will place second at 133 in EIWAs and it will be interesting to see how he does on his feet versus Parker from Lehigh.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:58 am

Also - would be interesting to know Tucker's eligibility. I believe he has two more years after this season.
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 am

I believe that "officially" right now Tucker is an academic Junior.

I also would not be surprised if he will not have three years left on the mat if he chooses to do so.

I also agreed that he will surprise a few guys this year.
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:05 am

Tucker graduated HS in 2015 and enrolled at Cornell that fall. No gap year, no greyshirt year. So this is his third year at Cornell; by NCAA regs he can be a redshirt soph with three years of eligibility remaining. That's unless he stopped his clock with a religious mission or military service. I've no real idea what the added Ivy restrictions are, but lots of other guys have done little their first two years and still wrestled three afterwards.
JDALU75
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:14 am

Guessing he qualifies for a medical year due to injury of either his wrist or hip in his first or second year. That assumes he'd take it?
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby John Henning » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:39 am

JDALU75 wrote:Tucker graduated HS in 2015 and enrolled at Cornell that fall. No gap year, no greyshirt year. So this is his third year at Cornell; by NCAA regs he can be a redshirt soph with three years of eligibility remaining. That's unless he stopped his clock with a religious mission or military service. I've no real idea what the added Ivy restrictions are, but lots of other guys have done little their first two years and still wrestled three afterwards.

>>>>>>>>>> Under Ivy rules there are no red shirts. As HJ states, a medical year may have been applied for. Otherwise, he would have had to 'take the year off' to preserve the year under Ivy rules. No idea where he stands....other than he will probably suit up this year at 133.
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Postby Ranger123 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 pm

Isn't it safe to assume that since Tucker is listed as a junior on the Cornell roste that he has 2 years to compete for the Big Red? Sounds like he should have another year of NCAA eligibility, but not at Cornell.
Ranger123
Novice

Next

Return to Cornell