WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Mark Grey at Junior Nationals

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Mark Grey at Junior Nationals

Postby JM » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:27 pm

The FILA Junior Nationals will be held in tandem with the US Senior Nationals in Las Vegas this coming weekend. Amateur Wrestling News takes a look at the entries in the very tough 132 pound weight class.

"The field at 60kg/132 pounds is extremely deep with a solid mix of NCAA qualifiers, Fargo All-Americans and college conference champions.

Mark Grey of Finger Lakes Wrestling Club is the returing champion. He’ll be pushed a pair of Lehigh Mountain Hawks — Mason Beckman and Randy Cruz, as well as Hawkeye Wrestling Club’s Cory Clark and undefeated four-time New Jersey state champion Anthony Ashnault.

North Carolina Round of 12 finisher Nathan Kraisser is also in the mix, along with NCAA qualifier KeVon Powell of Ohio and Harvard’s Jeff Ott, a Fargo All-American as a senior in high school. Penn State redshirt Jimmy Gulibon will also be one to watch, despite not having a freestyle resume. Then there’s Illinois redshirt Zane Richards, a runner-up in Fargo last year."

Good luck, Mark!
JM
Expert

Re: Mark Grey at Junior Nationals

Postby scribe » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:59 pm

This kid is going to be battle tested. Totally college ready.
scribe
Expert

Postby GOBIGRED » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Scribe I agree! Cornell might have the best 123 in the nation next year, and certainly top 3 with PSU and Iowa being in the running. I am excited to see Realbuto, Palacio, Cisneros, Congenie, and Dean. Wow what an incoming class along with the Scott twins and Nahshon there is a lot of young talent in the freshman and Sophomore class next season. Cornell may slip a little next season but will still be top 10 and the following year will push for a title IMHO.
Last edited by GOBIGRED on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GOBIGRED
Expert

Postby scribe » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:20 pm

We should be a very strong dual team. I wouldn't count them out for another strong finish at nationals too.
scribe
Expert

Postby GOBIGRED » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:25 pm

With the way Rob Koll and CO. prepare them for Nationals you can never count them out, agreed!
GOBIGRED
Expert

Postby Allen Brown » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 pm

^^GeeWizzz, Cornell recruits so fabulously well because they are a well endowed Ivy League member with a fantastic wrestling program. We've become EIWCornell.
Allen Brown

Postby JM » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:06 pm

[quote="GOBIGRED"].... I am excited to see Realbuto, Palacio, Cisneros, Congenie, and Dean. Wow what an incoming class along with the Scott twins and Nashon there is a lot of young talent in the freshman and Sophomore class next season....quote]

Hold on a minute... of the new guys you mention, we've seen Grey and Realbuto perform very well during their grey-shirt year; Dean fairly well. The other three - Palacio, Cisneros and Congenie - are all question marks at this point in my estimation. Great high school records but .... Cisneros looked overmatched when he did wrestle against D1 guys, Palacio was injured and didn't compete all season, and Congenie has been out while sitting on the injury list for the past two seasons. It would be terrific if all the young guns came through like Nahshon did this past year but I am not yet counting on those last three freshmen to be in the starting lineup next fall.

By the way, in addition to Grey, both Realbuto (at 163) and Dean (at 185) are expecting to compete at the Junior Nationals in Vegas this weekend.
JM
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:12 am

I agree with JM I think Mark Grey (133) , Realbuto (157) and Dean (184) will challenge for starting spots right out of the gate next season. These three are not only very talented but are wrestling junkies and are chomping at the bit to get going.

However the other three are also very talented and could very well also be right in the thick of things. Palacio (165) is back on the mat and is is reported to not only be very good already but also believed to have a big time upside based on how athletic he is. Congenie (197) was scheduled to start working out soon so we need to see how that works out. There are those that think he is at or near the top of this class, obviously he needs to be healthy.

Cisneros (149?) had a riugh start last season in the grey shirt arena tournaments. He came in a bit higher than projected, he wrestled 149 after competing at 130 in HS but he is not alone in the fact that he is still growing. Some times this requires some increased weigh room visits to increase strength with other body changes. I saw him wrestle Vilalonga at the Binghamton Tourney early in the season and he lost 5-0 but is obviously talented. That was a ture freshman vs a RS soph so not overly surprising, we shall see. I think he is still in the hunt.

Overall, what a great class to add to a solid returning group. Next years team will be very young and very talented, not a bad combination for a program that has a history for developing quality wrestlers.

By the way on another front, I am hearing that Paddock transferring to Cornell is not quite such a sure thing.
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby scribe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:07 am

It's always great to see a high quality transfer wanting to come in, but I have a difficult time seeing him settle into a starting spot. Nevinger laid down his claim to 141 with his second AA finish, coming on strong again when it matters. It would be a mistake to allow an early season tumult to his season when he is a proven late season wrestler.
scribe
Expert

Postby GOBIGRED » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:03 am

Just to quantify, the tenor of my post was not to suggest that all of Cornell's incoming recruits will fare as well as Nahshon but that Cornell in fact has a great incomming class that I am excited to see. I realize not all recruits blue chip or not, do not reach the expectations of the onlooking fan for one reason or another. That being said, this looks to be a fine class that should keep Cornell in the top tier of wrestling progrms. If Peppelman and Villalonga met the expectations of many of those who post here Cornell finishes higher last year no? On the other hand young men like Steve Bosak and Dustin Manotti who never won a state title certainly exceeded any expectations I had. Just based on statistics, the more top tier kids that enter the program the higher the odds are that the program will remain successful. I certainly am guilty of unbridled enthusiasm and seeing things through red tinted glasses but even from an unbiased vantage point I would think this appears to be a very good group of Sophmore and Freshman wrestlers.

AB, I sense a bit of sarcasm? This is the Cornell section not the EIWA section of the forum no?
Last edited by GOBIGRED on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOBIGRED
Expert

Postby Allen Brown » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:55 am

^^Simply put, I am incredibly impressed with the Big Red's current seven-year success run and shocked that the other 13 EIWA teams this season only put about 68 points TOTAL on the board at the 2013 NCAA Tournament and had only two NCAA All-Americans. Yes, Cornell is dominating the EIWA. We shall see what 2014 brings.
Allen Brown

Postby weh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:26 pm

At 132 from what I have heard Cory Clark is the guy to beat.
weh
Expert

Postby FLA Big Red » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:08 pm

I'll also be interested to see how Ashnault performs.
FLA Big Red
Novice

Postby scribe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:52 pm

weh wrote:At 132 from what I have heard Cory Clark is the guy to beat.
Being a 125lber, he'll be wrestling up against a larger field. It would be interesting to see him win the weight.
scribe
Expert

Postby seawolf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Folks are forgetting the unbelievable combination! The pairing of excellence! The coming together of two great things! The combo of awesome and fantastic! The dynamic duo! Two great tastes! Mr. Choi!!! Combo Cornell & Navy guy! Doesn't get any better! (no self-serving motivation here)

Thanks you guys for making me aware of the Cornell guys wrestling in this. Very cool that Grey is the defending champ!! Very impressive.

One more thing ...

N A H S H O N

We have to show Nahshon the respect he deserves by spelling his name right. I know there is no disrespect intended.
seawolf
Expert

Next

Return to Cornell