WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Dake's Four Titles

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Dake's Four Titles

Postby NYwrestlingnews » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Here's a look back at Kyle Dake's four championships, with the help of Coach Jeremy Spates:

http://newyorkwrestlingnews.com/kyle-da ... ip-career/
NYwrestlingnews
Veteran

Re: Dake's Four Titles

Postby JM » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:23 pm

This is a most insightful look at Kyle's four years of wrestling at Cornell, thanks to the combination of journalistic wisdom on the part of the author and the outstanding input and analysis from coach Jeremy Spates. Never underestimate the contribution that an assistant coach makes to the success of a competitor.
JM
Expert

Postby scribe » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 pm

Great read!
scribe
Expert

Postby aro3eb » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:06 am

Great insight into the adjustments that were made to make the finals match more dominant than the other two. Also interesting to hear Dake planned on a big finals win a la Molinaro.
aro3eb
Veteran

Postby scribe » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:37 am

In the back of my mind, I was wondering if Dake was growing out of 165 by March this season. As we had gotten so accustomed to seeing this.

The only way anyone ever wins at even 3 weights again, requires an individual that is not only a great wrestler, but is growing at a massive clip as Dake was.
scribe
Expert

Postby Allen Brown » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:34 am

^^^Interesting. I assume young Spates will be interviewing for the Buffalo job.
Allen Brown

Postby FLA Big Red » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Allen Brown wrote:^^^Interesting. I assume young Spates will be interviewing for the Buffalo job.

Cornell has some excellent assistant coaches that are getting great experience under Koll. Hahn has been there for about seven years, and Spates for about 5. I believe these two coaches will make great head coaches someday, and I have to believe they are ready (or close to being ready) for such a position now. I realize that it is inevitable they will be pursued for head coaching jobs in the near future, and will most likely accept one (As they should). I also realize that the loss of either of them would be a great loss to Cornell wrestling, but I would pull for them wherever they went. (Of course, we still need Damion to develop a heavyweight into an AA!)

However, I can't help but wonder where Dake fits into the mix now. Cornell is an RTC, and I can't see Kyle leaving the area. I guess he could stay on as a volunteer asst like Grey and work with Wattenburg at the FLWC?

By the way, I think Grey is excellent as well, but with his brother at Cornell next year, I don't see him going anywhere.
FLA Big Red
Novice

Postby seawolf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Great read!!! Great memories. Enjoyed reading about some tactics vs Taylor. Dake was clearly using some new tools and approaches in that match. Was beautiful! Thanks to the Cornell staff for all the work they did to help Kyle in this amazing achievement.
seawolf
Expert

Return to Cornell