Kyle Dake featured on 'NCAA on Campus'

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Kyle Dake featured on 'NCAA on Campus'

Postby JM » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:28 pm

JM
Expert

Re: Kyle Dake featured on 'NCAA on Campus'

Postby Mat Rat2 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Very nicely done, I really like the quote from the Department Chairman. After all, at the end of the day it is about these scholar athletes with the focus on scholar.
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby seawolf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 pm

Very well done. The guy deserves the attention and accolades. Let's hope he really doesn't feel pressure since what he is about to do is the definition of pressure.

(Now que NJDan with some passive aggressive disappointment - such as it being too bad they didn't feature more Cornell wrestlers)
seawolf
Expert

Postby NJDan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:23 pm

No, they did show a bunch of guys, especially considering this was a piece on Dake, not on Cornell. But am I crazy, or did Bosak say that there were three other four timers. That's a nit. Either way, the campus looked good.

BTW, the gymnastic moves that Dake does-- can the other guys (or any of them) do that?
NJDan
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:31 am

Kyle gets his gymnastic skills from his mother and that is well known. I remember watching him in Las Vegas as a true freshman against some very good competition and thinking how flexible and athletic he was right out of the gate. He was different even then, although even the most optimistic of us had any idea of how different.

To answer your questions about others, it is surprising to watch a Cornell practice and see how athletic these guys are as a group. Their warmups, let by Kyle, look like a tumbling exhibition. You often hear Rob talk about how athletic a certain recruit is, so it is some thing he values and may explain how some of the under the radar guys seems to develop above initial expectations in the Big Red room.

A case in point, there was this young man out of Michigan named Cam that Rob raved about from the very beginning as being a great athlete and we all now how that turned out.
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby scribe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:47 pm

The thing with Cam was the mileage he was getting out of his motor. I remember one of the first reviews Rob made was talking about how Cam needing to rotate amongst 3 different wrestling partners at a time in practice. I thought he was exaggerating until I saw it in action on the mat. He had so many guys broken at the beginning of the 2nd period, it was unreal.
scribe
Expert

Postby NJDan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Speaking of Cam, will he likely be wrestling at the team trials (or the US Open or whatever it is) in Las Vegas next month?

Will Dake be there?
NJDan
Expert

Return to Cornell