WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Garrett's Shot

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Garrett's Shot

Postby NJDan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:22 pm

What do people think about Garrett's chances?

He looks to a QF match against McDonough, the only guy who beat Garett by more than a few points this year. OTOH, a lot of people say McDonough is not right (too big a weight cut or whatever) and it would seem that Garrett has at least a shot of doing something like Delgado did. If he gets to the semis, there is no one who he can't beat, it seems.

Reax?
NJDan
Expert

Re: Garrett's Shot

Postby scribe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:28 pm

I love Garrett's chances of All American and not much past that in the way of expectations. Not easy to AA at all. It took Perrelli and Grey both some doing to get it done. Two great wrestlers who shows us just how difficult it is to achieve.
scribe
Expert

Postby NJDan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Didn't Grey do it his freshman year, even if he was hardly a true freshman. Garrett is also a greyshirt frosh, though I don't know if he is as old as Grey was.
NJDan
Expert

Postby scribe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Yes he did. And then he didn't.
scribe
Expert

Postby weh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm

I felt Garrett had no chance to beat McDononogh at national duals, but his chances in the NCAA 1/4s are much better especially if McDonogh is having a tough time with weight - though making weight is usually easiest at the end of the year

Of course they both have to win 2 matches Thursday first.
weh
Expert

Postby seawolf » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:13 pm

I have been a very big fan of McDonough. 3x finalist, 2 time champ. Weight class his freshman year was loaded (albeit Nickerson was injured but it doesn't matter, McDonough rocked).

Not clear he will make it in his fourth year. I feel for the guy. 125 for 4/5 years just doesn't seem right. This sport can be brutal.

Garrett's chances aren't great. Still, if he can attack, attack, attack, I think he has a chance. He will have a very hard time getting off bottom. Thus, be on top! Get the TD. Don't take down. Don't let Matt M pull the trigger. This was Delgado's approach (who is better than Garrett, I don't mind saying ... at least that's my opinion). Delgado didn't play defense, he went for the TDs.

Garrett is a huge and welcome addition to the team. Gotta say, ignorance can be bliss ... I really don't track the incoming guys all that well. Once they land I can be easily impressed! And Garrett more than impressed. Rock star.
seawolf
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:36 am

Nashan has been the most pleasant surprise this season for most of us, even though we should have known since the guy that knows the most (Rob) predicted great things for him before the season started.

I would rather see him against McDonough than Delgato, who I think will win at 125. Delgato has beaten McDonough three times in the last two years and the the two wins this season were not close matches. Undefeated and #1 ranked Waters from Missouri will have something to say about that also.

I think seeing McDonough a few weeks ago will benefit Nashan as he prepares for what I hope will be a quarterfinal matchup, they both need to get there and that is not automatic.

As Nashan develops and adds a few more weapons to his already impressive attack on the feet and the top and learns to get off the bottom against the best guys (like McDonough) he will be top 3 type guy. I think he will be top 4-5 this year with a huge upside and the top step in his future. The thing I like the most about him is how much he seems to enjoy competing, that is certainly high on the list for success in this very demanding sport.

By the way, California is becoming a real recruiting hot bed as their number and quality of HS wrestlers soar.
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby NJWrestlman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:16 pm

As a frosh he's been a revelation, but when I've seen him it always strikes me that he wins on his motor and athleticism rather than strategy. Might not be enough on the big stage. Middle of the season it felt like he felt like he wanted the tech fall every time out and left himself open at times. The score of his EIWA win against Rappo looks impressive, but it was really a nail-biter until that final 15 seconds. Honestly could have gone either way.

His four losses were to Waters (Fr) twice, Megaludis (Fr) and McDonough (Sr), all ahead of him. I feel like a semi final appearance would be a great outcome for him.
NJWrestlman
Novice

Postby ugarte » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Sure would be, since he'll have to go through McDonough! I was hoping for the 4 seed and a much easier path to the semis. I really wanted that 4 seed for him.
Cornell '92
ugarte
Expert

Postby pdpwally » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:00 pm

scribe wrote:I love Garrett's chances of All American and not much past that in the way of expectations. Not easy to AA at all. It took Perrelli and Grey both some doing to get it done. Two great wrestlers who shows us just how difficult it is to achieve.

Just wanna throw this out there... Grey was 2 matches away from being a 4x AA. Freshman AA, Soph R12, Jun R12, Sr AA. But that's not the topic at hand. I'd love to see Nashon hone his double a la Burroughs and start mowing through the 125 weight class.
pdpwally
"Newbie"

Return to Cornell