WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Cornell 2012 Projection from October Fall Newsletter

Moderators: Allen Brown, seawolf, Red Blades

Cornell 2012 Projection from October Fall Newsletter

Postby Allen Brown » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:03 pm

^^^I got a copy of the Cornell Fall Newsletter today (10/3) and here is a Link to it-

http://www.wrestlingreport.com/2011-12_ ... s_10-3.pdf

^^^AND here is the projected lineup, taken from the Newsletter-

125: Frank Perrelli enters his senior season with extremely high expectations. He finally had his chance to start after serving as the backup to Troy Nickerson ’10 for two years. After claiming the EIWA championship last season, nothing less than an All-America finish will suffice. Freshman Bricker Dixon is currently the only other 125 pounder in the room. He enjoyed an amazing high school career, winning a pair of Missouri state titles. We al-so hope to see last year’s Binghamton Open champ, Tyler Biscaha, back for the second semester.

133: Joe Stanzione was the starter for most of last season, until Mike Grey ’11 was able to return to the lineup in February. Joe wrestled impressively for the first half of the year and then struggled mightily after contracting mono. Joe will be pushed by freshman Nick Pena, a two-time California state champion.

Others to Watch: Brett Hernandez-Henderson, Josh Kennedy.

141: Last season we saw Corey Manson ’11, Mike Nevinger and Chris Villalonga trading places, until Manson emerged as the starter toward the end of the campaign. This year I expect to see more of the same with the addition of Ryan Dunphy to the mix. All three of these young men trained in Ithaca over the summer and all three have made significant improvements from last season. I believe one of these wrestlers will have a breakout year. The competition in the room will be intense, so whoever survives will be truly battle tested.

Others to Watch: Cody Kelly, Quinton Leith, Philip Smith.

149: Craig Eifert looks like the front runner for this weight class. Craig enjoyed success last year at both 157 and 165. He is extremely disciplined and worked hard to bring his weight down to where he is comfortable at 149. I believe Craig will be more consistent as a full-time starter. He has great potential.

Others to Watch: Scott Albrecht.

157: For the second consecutive year Kyle Dake will move up a weight class. We expect this move will pay off as it has in the past, resulting in Kyle winning his third NCAA title. Last season’s starter, DJ Meagher, will graduate in December and is engaged to be married to Jaimee Kerber, the sister of Justin Kerber ’11. Justin and DJ were college roommates and no longer communicate.

Others to Watch: Derek Schreiner.

165: Three-time Pennsylvania state champion Marshall Peppelman and New York state champ Cody Hutcheson will compete for the starting spot. Both wrestlers have been hampered by injuries but appear to be healed up and ready to roll. Freshman Evan Knight was expected to wrestle at this weight but suffered a concussion during the offseason and is unlikely to compete.

Others to Watch: Patrick Sullivan.

174: This class has plenty of youthful talent but no clear frontrunner. Three wrestlers, freshmen Matthew Cunningham and Billy George and sophomore Michael Alexander, will slug it out to decide who will represent the Big Red. Alexander had success last year at both 174 and 184.

Others to Watch: Jake Arnone, Warner Phipps.

184: Steve Bosak enjoyed a breakthrough season, finishing fourth at the NCAA tournament. Steve makes significant improvements each year and we expect to see Steve wrestling for the NCAA crown in March.

Others to Watch: Jon Grecco, Peter Mesko.

197: Cam Simaz has already won three EIWA titles and has been an NCAA All-American three times as well. After two third place finishes, we expect Cam to finally claim the NCAA title this year.

Others to Watch: Jace Bennett.

285: Stryker Lane, Maciej Jochym, Oney Snyder or Lukasz Stala will start for Cornell at 285. I really cannot say who will be our starter, but I am pretty confident that whoever it is will have his name mispronounced on more than one occasion. Just like 174, I believe the in-room competition will temper one or more of these young men into a champion.

Others to Watch: Jacob Aiken-Phillips.
Allen Brown

Re: Cornell 2012 Projection from October Fall Newsletter

Postby RED » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Evan Knight "unlikely to compete?" Are we talking about the season, or forever?
RED
Veteran

Re: Cornell 2012 Projection from October Fall Newsletter

Postby cradletograve » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:21 pm

RED wrote:Evan Knight "unlikely to compete?" Are we talking about the season, or forever?

Just a guess, but since he is still listed on the roster, I expect he intends on coming back at some point in his career.
cradletograve
Veteran

Return to Cornell