WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Status

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Status

Postby Mat Rat2 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 am

After some up and downs in Florida probably more questions than answers after the Florida trip.

125 - No secret that Russo is struggling to make 125. I was hopeful that once he got down it would become more routine but apparently not. Not making weight on the second day raises a bunch of questions. Hopefully they can get this squared away, giving up 6 points in what is usually the first match is brutal. Obvious need to recruit a couple of little guys. I know there is talk of McHenry but that is a ways off and far from a given.

133- Tucker had a tough time. He seems to wrestle just a bit below his ability He is at his best when he is aggressive and that has generally not been the case.

Baughman is still in the picture. Have not heard any more talk of either guy going down to 125 but they mush have certified since there was talk earlier?

141- Not worried about Yianni but surprised he made such a mental mistake. With a 6-3 lead with 30 seconds left against a guy who did not show any effective offense for 6 1/2 minutes is not the time to shoot and stop IMO. What ever happened to staying low and circling ? Too old school I guess.

149- Not sure what is going on with Furnas, was hoping to see more upside by now. William Koll looked pretty good.

157- Santoro has been game but assuming Stroker will get his shot. Galasso has really fizzled out and is a huge disappointment. Also assuming that 149 is out of the picture for both those guys.

165- Chavez and Dawkins (?) not making weight is really troubling. I think Chavez can still be a factor. I am still optimistic.

174- What can you say? Hopefully Bama can get squared away, I think he will.

184- Max is on a steady incline and we certainly need him.

197- Looks like it is going to be Darmstadt. What a great match against Miklus.

285- I think Honis can be effective and Sweany looks pretty good. Maybe the plan is to use Sweany against the larger heavyweights.

Overall, probably about where projected as a team as far as on the mat performances are concerned.

Lehigh is a tall order to say the least. No surprise there.

Hopefully going down to Florida will have a positive impact. I watched the Scuffle and they were saying it was 14 degrees the second day. I know that in addition to the weather (winter break) the team building aspect was a factor in the decision to go down south. Personally I thing it is great to consider what is best overall for these students. As for the results, we shall see.
Mat Rat2
Expert

Re: Status

Postby scribe » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:15 am

Most of that would make good lyrics for sorrow drowning drinking country music.
scribe
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 am

Since nobody on the Cornell side seems to have noticed, I'll pass on the information that Darmstadt has a win over the Scuffle's Outstanding Wrestler.

Just thought you'd be interested. Maybe not.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 am

JDALU75 wrote:Since nobody on the Cornell side seems to have noticed, I'll pass on the information that Darmstadt has a win over the Scuffle's Outstanding Wrestler.

the Scuffle? Did anyone show up for that this year? :P

scribe wrote:Most of that would make good lyrics for sorrow drowning drinking country music.

I dunno, Scribe; isn't this about par for a Rob Koll team at this time of year? First he lowers our expectations, then BAM! :wink:

FWIW - I think the team has a pretty darn good lineup from 165 up, but still work to do from 157 down. Can they pull it together by March?
Red Blades
Expert

Postby Mat Rat2 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:57 am

JDALU75 wrote:Since nobody on the Cornell side seems to have noticed, I'll pass on the information that Darmstadt has a win over the Scuffle's Outstanding Wrestler.

Based on that and his win over Mulkis Ben has jumped to #6, man that was fast :D
Mat Rat2
Expert

Postby klehner » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 am

I kept wanting to ask on TOM "who did Rasheed lose to this year", but I was nice.

What I really want to know is why Darmstadt lost so badly to Mattiace, and whether that indicates that there are guys who don't fall for his craziness.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am

FWIW - Rasheed was injured in his match vs. Darmstadt at the Bearcat Open (and did not wrestle again until the Scuffle), so I'd take Darmstadt's win there with a bit of perspective. And Mattiace has seen him before (with a similar result).

Still - 18 wins, 11 pins, one loss - hard to ignore THAT!
Red Blades
Expert

Postby klehner » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:54 pm

Red Blades wrote:FWIW - Rasheed was injured in his match vs. Darmstadt at the Bearcat Open (and did not wrestle again until the Scuffle), so I'd take Darmstadt's win there with a bit of perspective. And Mattiace has seen him before (with a similar result).

Still - 18 wins, 11 pins, one loss - hard to ignore THAT!

Rasheed *got* injured (rolled an ankle, more or less) vs. Darmstadt, after Rasheed got the initial TD and Darmstadt reversed him, and while attempting to escape while being ridden out for 1:30 in the first period. Darmstadt got a quick escape in the second, and gave up a TD on a really bad shot. He then got a reversal when Rasheed tried to turn him, and rode out the second (another minute plus). Darmstadt also rode him the entire third period and ended up with nearly four minutes of RT. Who knows what would happen now, of course.

Ben seems to have (expected) problems with very strong opponents (see Honis, Mattiace); Rasheed seems to have length going for him against most opponents, but not Darmstadt length.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Return to Cornell