WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Cornell top 8 on NWCA All-Academic Team Standings

Moderators: Red Blades, seawolf

Cornell top 8 on NWCA All-Academic Team Standings

Postby Red Blades » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Cornell wrestling finishes in the top 10 academically as well as at NCAA's, coming in 8th in the team standings; Gabe Dean, Brian Realbuto, Dylan Palacio, and Noah Baughman all make the individual listing. Harvard was at the top of the list, with 10 EIWA teams in the top 30.

Link to article: http://www.nwcaonline.com/harvard-tops- ... dual-team/
Team standings: http://www.nwcaonline.com/wp-content/up ... m_2017.pdf
Individual listing: http://www.nwcaonline.com/wp-content/up ... l_2017.pdf

Congratulations! 8)
Red Blades
Expert

Re: Cornell top 8 on NWCA All-Academic Team Standings

Postby SoftMats » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:26 pm

It's nice to keep the student in student-athlete.
SoftMats
Veteran

Postby klehner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Red Blades wrote:Cornell wrestling finishes in the top 10 academically as well as at NCAA's, coming in 8th in the team standings; Gabe Dean, Brian Realbuto, Dylan Palacio, and Noah Baughman all make the individual listing. Harvard was at the top of the list, with 10 EIWA teams in the top 30.

Link to article: http://www.nwcaonline.com/harvard-tops- ... dual-team/
Team standings: http://www.nwcaonline.com/wp-content/up ... m_2017.pdf
Individual listing: http://www.nwcaonline.com/wp-content/up ... l_2017.pdf

Congratulations! 8)

Post this on the Lehigh board, and watch the "engineers vs. SUNY Ithaca" whining commence...
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby HatchetJack » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Lehigh is located in an arm pit of town that is only getting worse. Their school looks great compared to its imediate surroundsing but overall it's not a "great" school by any measure. It's more fo a fall back plan for students who think they are smarter than they really are. I'd take offense to what I just said if it was not true but it is. It's a national rank by US News is #44 compared to CU at #15. Engineering CU is #13 and Lehigh #60. Cornell has generated the 6th most billionaires of any college in the US LU is not ranked. Why else go to school if you are not going to be a billionaire? We could go on and on but so it seems LU is both second (or worse) to Cornell in just about everything related to academics and wrestling (less Darian Cruz) :lol:
HatchetJack
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:55 pm

One thing about a list like the NWCA All-Academic Team - it's like comparing apples to oranges to grapes and blueberries. :roll:

I'm glad to see our guys high on the list, but really - all it means is that the wrestlers are doing pretty well keeping up with their non-wrestling peers. It doesn't really say much about comparing one team to another.

Although I do take a little pleasure in seeing Cornell ranking a little bit higher on the list than Lehigh! :twisted:
Red Blades
Expert

Postby klehner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Red Blades wrote:One thing about a list like the NWCA All-Academic Team - it's like comparing apples to oranges to grapes and blueberries. :roll:

I'm glad to see our guys high on the list, but really - all it means is that the wrestlers are doing pretty well keeping up with their non-wrestling peers. It doesn't really say much about comparing one team to another.

Although I do take a little pleasure in seeing Cornell ranking a little bit higher on the list than Lehigh! :twisted:

Did you scan the majors listed for the individuals? Sheesh. Fewer than 20 that I would consider close to challenging (I counted Biology).
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby Asa Packer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:27 am

"Did you scan the majors listed for the individuals? Sheesh. Fewer than 20 that I would consider close to challenging (I counted Biology)."
I had the same thoughts. Some analysis:
1. There were nine Engineers (Hines, AF; Hall, AZ St; Kent, Penn; Vollaro, Lehigh; Davis, Navy; Kroells, Minn; Haught, VT; Fausz, NC St & Marchok, Stanford)
2. Doesn't mean some of the others aren't pre-law or pre-med; majors don't reveal that
3. Of the big 4, I saw an interesting trend. Ohio St had 4 of 4 that were "Sport Industry" majors. Penn St had 2 of 3 that were "Kinesiology" majors. Okie St had 4, of which 3 were undeclared, PE & coaching science. Iowa had 3, of which 2 were Biology & Business. Who would of thought that?
Darian Cruz, 2017 NCAA Champion at 125 lbs!!!
Asa Packer
Expert

Postby John Henning » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:37 pm

Whoever said Cornell was not a great school? The private side is outstanding and the SUNY-Ithaca side is also.

What was being discussed was using the public side to gain admissions for wrestlers that otherwise might not qualify for the Ivy league. Nothing illegal about it. Also nothing saying Cornell isn't an outstanding university. The comments about Lehigh were mostly true. We are NOT an Ivy league school. However, for a school our size to be ranked from 34-44 depending on the year among 'national universities' is nothing to sneeze at. At one time, Lehigh grads ranked extremely high in those who went on to become the heads of their companies. A significant stat. That said, Lehigh is NOT an elite institution in the sense that one would have to top 15-20 to be considered such.

However, there is no public side to admissions at LU. Congratulations to your honorees and have a nice day.
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Return to Cornell