WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Bethany Ready to Open Season

Moderator: GAH

Bethany Ready to Open Season

Postby Allen Brown » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Nov. 4, 2015

LINDSBORG, Kan. – With the Swede Open coming up this weekend, the Bethany College wrestling team has hit the mat and is prepping for their upcoming season. The Swedes welcome new head coach Larry Nugent, who is working with a relatively different roster this year.
The Swedes lost 10 letter winners and six starters from last season, but the Swedes have focused on the development of their team and betting themselves both as individuals and as a program.

"The number of returners that didn't return makes for lots of extra space in the practice room," said Nugent. "As a team we've moved beyond any past issues and are simply focused on improving each individual and letting the chips fall where they may. Wrestling is a little unusual because strong performances by a handful of guys at the regional qualifier and national tournament can be significant in the final standings. This team will still be standing when the dust clears from the Kansas Expocenter in Topeka next March 5th!"

Bethany has a strong arsenal of returners to help lead the squad. The team returns five letter winners and four starters, all of which will be important contributors for the Swedes.

Top returners include senior Ty Kolterman, 133 lbs., Clay Center, Kan.; junior Quinton Harrison, 125 lbs., Newton, Kan.; junior John Risewick, 141 lbs., Norton, Kan.; junior Trevor Whittaker, 184 lbs., Lindsborg, Kan.; senior Tyler Smith, 285 lbs., Olathe, Kan.; and senior James Lohman, 141 lbs., Kansas City, Mo.

"Quinton Harrison is a seasoned and talented veteran that is poised to reach his goals," Nugent explained. "His technique is classic! I am confident in Quinton's approach and he really doesn't need to learn much new, just perfect what he already has! Ty Kolterman has some physical skills that will make him tough to handle. I like to describe his style as "junk yard dog!" He may be smiling on the outside, but on the inside he is chewing down hard! John Risewick makes it look easy even when he is absolutely fighting to score. He has a determined manner and there is no spot on the podium he cannot stand on if stays the course! Trevor Whittaker has been injured and is just returning, so my comments are limited. He is a quick thinker and always ahead of whatever is going on. I have a feeling Trevor is the kind of guy that his opponents dread because they know three rounds with him seems like forever."

In addition, the Swedes welcome four key newcomers: freshman Tyler Bastian, 285 lbs., Wichita, Kan.; freshman Brandon Archuleta, 149 lbs., Lindsborg, Kan.; freshman Rocky Kruger, 125 lbs., Lincoln, Kan.; and freshman Vance Lipsey, 133 lbs., Brentwood, Tenn.

"Brandon Archuleta will only get better," said Nugent. "His work ethic and direct approach to the sport bodes well for him. He is physically gifted and knows it! He is a motivated kid with a super bright wrestling future in front of him. Vance Lipsey can develop into a scary wrestler. If he adapts his length and reach to specific techniques, he will be dangerous. I wish I had 30 Rocky Kruegers. He is going to outwork everyone and seemingly has very few distractions. Rocky will do great thing on the mat here at Bethany. Tyler Bastian loves to wrestle, and he has a "throw or be thrown" kind of style. One thing I am certain of: Swede wrestling fans are going to enjoy many years of entertaining performances from Tyler!"

Bethany is set to open their 2015-2016 campaign on November 7 when they host the Swede Open.
Allen Brown

Return to NAIA