WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

St. Andrews 2/27 Wrestling UPdate

Moderators: Allen Brown, GAH

St. Andrews 2/27 Wrestling UPdate

Postby Allen Brown » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:10 pm

The Knight Wrestling Report

Feb. 27, 2012

The St. Andrews University Wrestling Team saved the best for last as they put on an outstanding performance at the Mid-Atlantic Conference on Saturday in Lynchburg, VA. I am very proud of these young men who peaked at the right time. All 12 wrestlers wrestled their hearts out. James Green lost an overtime heartbreaker to get into the medal round, while Patrick Wells went up two weight classes and had a big 15-9 win over his Middle Tennessee St. opponent. Freshman Trent Harris coming off a concussion demonstrated a lot of determination and put on a good performance. His future looks bright.

I want to thank all of the Knights Wrestling fans for their unbelievable support. Mr. Getkin, his brother and son, and four of Kody’s friends were all in attendance; Mr. and Mrs. Baker, Nic Sauceda’s parents and grandparents were in the house along with the whole Vaughan entourage. A special thanks to Mr. Getkin for providing the beef jerky and trimmings! Finally, I want to thank my son Troy (SAU Wrestling Alum) and my brother Jimmy (Wrestled 4 years at the U. of Virginia) for their help in coaching the team.

Below is an article written by one of our freshman wrestlers who is recovering from an injury. Danny was a big help on Saturday with the stats.

SAU Wrestling Team Qualify Seven for Nationals

Seven St. Andrews Wrestlers qualified for the National Collegiate Wrestling Association Tournament in Daytona Beach, FL next weekend. The Knights finished two points from second place with 137 in the team standings. The Mid-Atlantic Conference was held at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia on Saturday. Liberty University won the team title with 191 points and The Apprentice School was second with 139 in the 15 team field.

Senior tri-captain Justin Hoover took the title at 235 lbs. by defeating the No. 1 and No. 2 seeded wrestlers. Senior tri-captain Eric Brown was runner-up, while senior tri-caption Greg Pattis (a U.S. Marine) placed third after not being seeded. Also placing third were freshmen Steffan Baker and Denzel Vaughan. Freshman Kody Getkin, who placed fourth, won the “Most Pins in the Least amount of Time” Trophy. He earned four pins in 8 minutes and 40 seconds. Finally, Sterling Perry placed fifth to complete the list of national qualifiers.

By Danny Iovino-Ortiz

Below is a list of the SAU wrestlers and their placement at the NCWA Qualifier:

125-Eric Brown-Runner-up …*Earned 2 pins
141-Sterling Perry-5th
141-Nick Sauceda-7th
149-Kody Getkin-4th …*Earned 4 Pins, including a pin over the No. 1 seed
174-Steffan Baker-3rd *Earned 2 pins
184-Josh Price-7th …..*Earned 3 Pins
197-Greg Pattis-3rd ….*Earned 4 Pins *Pinned the #2 seed to advance for 3rd place
235-Justin Hoover-Champion *Beat the #1 and #2 seeds in the tournament
285-Denzel Vaughan-3rd *Pinned the #2 seed to place 3rd

[Ed Note: St. Andrew's University plans to compete in the NAIA starting the fall of 2012. -Allen Brown (WR.com)]
Allen Brown

Return to NAIA