WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

11/15/15 VMI Beats F&M

Moderator: GAH

11/15/15 VMI Beats F&M

Postby Allen Brown » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:12 pm

LEXINGTON, Va. – Competing in its first ever match at The Pit at Cormack Hall, the VMI wrestling team earned a 27-9 victory over the visiting Diplomats of Franklin & Marshall College Sunday afternoon in Lexington, Virginia.

The match was highlighted by freshman Neal Richards’ pin at 157 pounds and four victories by major decision to lift the Keydets to the team win.

"I would like to extend my gratitude to VMI for putting on a great wrestling experience," said VMI head wrestling coach Chris Skretkowicz. "I was extremely pleased with all 10 wrestlers. All upperclassmen battled with grit and battled to the end.

"We have two freshmen at 133 and 141 who should be holding their heads high; while their match did not end the way they wanted, they showed their true potential. I'm excited for their future. I'm proud of our men and proud of our program!"

Junior Dalton Henderson gave VMI a quick 4-0 lift following a major decision at 125 pounds over the Diplomats’ Edgar Garcia.

Franklin and Marshall rebounded with two consecutive wins at 133 and 141 pounds as F&M’s Scott Stevens took down Dominick Gallo by a 3-0 decision at 133 and Patrick Quinlan overcame VMI freshman John Reed, Jr. by a 12-8 decision, providing a 6-4 F&M lead.

The lead was brief, however, as the Keydets rambled off six consecutive victories starting with Emmitt Kelly’s 5-3 decision over F&M’s Jason Bing and Richards’ pin over Andy Francos in 1:57 in what turned out to be the match-winning bout.

No. 28-ranked Shabaka Johns of VMI defeated Gordon Bolig by a 9-0 major decision and Mark Darr achieved an 11-3 major over F&M’s Colin Gironda to give the Keydets a commanding 21-6 advantage.

Coming off losses in last weekend’s match at The Citadel, 184 pounder Derek Thurman and 197 pounder Urayoan Garcia registered dual victories with respective decisions by 7-2 and 6-4 scores. In the final match of the afternoon, VMI heavyweight Sivaatasi Mathias fell in a close 3-2 decision to the Diplomats’ Antonio Pelusi.

The Keydets have a week to prepare for the Keystone Classic next Sunday, Nov. 22 in Philadelphia. VMI will then return to dual action on Thursday, Dec. 3 for a home Southern Conference matchup with Gardner-Webb at 7:30 p.m. at Cormack Hall.

VMI 27, Franklin & Marshall 9
Sunday, Nov. 15, 2015 – 2 p.m.
The Pit at Cormack Hall
Lexington, Va.

Dalton Henderson (Vmi) over Edgar Garcia (Franklin & Marshall) (MD 8-0)

Scott Stevens (Franklin & Marshall) over Dominick Gallo (Vmi) (Dec 3-0)

Patrick Quinlan (Franklin & Marshall) over John Reed (Vmi) (Dec 12-8)

Emmitt Kelly (Vmi) over Jason Bing (Franklin & Marshall) (Dec 5-3)

Neal Richards (Vmi) over Andy Francos (Franklin & Marshall) (Fall 1:57)

Shabaka Johns (Vmi) over Gordon Bolig (Franklin & Marshall) (MD 9-0)

Mark Darr (Vmi) over Colin Gironda (Franklin & Marshall) (MD 11-3)

Derek Thurman (Vmi) over Anthony Mancini (Franklin & Marshall) (Dec 7-2)

Urayoan Garcia (Vmi) over Charles Kerkesner (Franklin & Marshall) (Dec 6-4)

Antonio Pelusi (Franklin & Marshall) over Sivaatasi Mathias (Vmi) (Dec 3-2)

VMI Wrestling
Allen Brown

Return to SOUTHERN CONFERENCE