WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Bloomsburg Future

Moderator: GAH

Re: Bloomsburg Future

Postby mm55 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:30 am

I haven't seen anything on intermat naming one recruit. I thought one of the biggest reasons for bringing Hughes on staff was to help with recruiting. I said it before this cosching change but Gordon isn't the guy Bloomsburg needed to take over when he did. He can't recruit and athlete retention is awful.

Bloom better figure it out soon before they get axed and we're down another D1 program.
mm55
Veteran

Postby Husky1967 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:13 pm

You can't land quality recruits without being willing to put some money on the table. Less recruits but better quality and larger sums of money offered might be a viable alternative!!
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby Bart » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Ryan Stocku Penncreast H.S., All-time career win leader for his high school 108-40, 8th place AAA 2016
Bart
Expert

Postby Bart » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Recruiting class

Of the 12 student-athletes joining the roster, eight come from the state of Pennsylvania while two others hail from Maryland. Delaware and New Jersey are the home states of the two remaining newcomers. The group combined for 18 state tournament appearances, 16 state medalists, and three state championships during their high school careers.

2017-18 Bloomsburg University Recruiting Class

Evan Campbell - Central Columbia High School (PA)
Projected Weight: 149
Highlights: Attended Penn State University last season but did not see action ... Pennsylvania freestyle and greco state runner-up ... went 24-11 as a senior and earned a sixth-place finish in the regional tournament

Chase Gardner - Bellefonte High School (PA)
Projected Weight: 157
Highlights: Was a state qualifier and a two-time King of the Mountain placewinner while attending Bellefonte High School ... posted a 30-9 record during senior season and earned fourth-place finish at regionals ... career overall record of 89-40 with 16 career wins by fall

Mert Gulen - Middletown High School (MD)
Projected Weight: 174
Highlights: Two-time state qualifier at Middletown High School ... finished sixth at state tournament as a senior ... part of back-to-back dual state championship team ... career overall record of 71-24

Gabe Ikeda - Cedar Crest High School (PA)
Projected Weight: 125/133
Highlights: Four-time district qualifier at Cedar Crest High School ... career overall record of 89-34

Dante Immediato - Middletown High School (DE)
Projected Weight: 141
Highlights: Four-time state placewinner at Middletown High School ... won state championship as a junior and was state runner-up in sophomore and senior seasons ... finished fourth at states as a freshman ... was a 2017 HHSCA All-American and a 2017 War at the Shore All-American

Jeff Klenk - Malvern Prep High School (PA)
Projected Weight: 165
Highlights: Finished second at prep states as a senior and earned a fourth-place finish at prep nationals ... finished career with 33 falls ... posted a record of 34-13 overall final two seasons ... was an Academic All-American

Marco Macrino - West Essex High School (NJ)
Projected Weight: 125
Highlights: Four-time All-Conference selection and a four-time county placewinner ... three-time district placewinner ... career overall record of 96-25

Ian Minnich - Williams Valley High School (PA)
Projected Weight: 285
Highlights: Two-time state medalist after earning a pair of sixth-place finishes while attending Williams Valley High School ... career overall record of 161-41 ... totaled 54 wins by fall during career including 27 as a senior

Shawn Orem - Mount Saint Joseph High School (MD)
Highlights: Four-time Maryland state placewinner at Mount Saint Joseph High School ... two-time Maryland state champion ... two-time Prep National All-American ... two-time Beast of the East placewinner ... was the Greco Northeast Regional Champion

Braden Stahlnecker - Hughesville High School (PA)
Highlights: State qualifier as a senior while attending Hughesville High School ... won 38 matches as a senior including 15 by fall ... career overall record of 78-24

Ryan Stocku - Penncrest High School (PA)
Projected Weight: 149
Highlights: State medalist as a senior ... injured during state tournament and had to settle for eighth place result as a senior ... owns school record for career victories ... won 42 matches as a senior and finished career with 54 wins by fall ... career overall record of 108-41

Logan Womelsdorf - Benton High School (PA)
Projected Weight: 197
Highlights: Two-time state placewinner and three-time state qualifier while attending Benton High School ... earned fourth-place finish at states as a senior and fifth-place as a junior ... finished fifth at Powerade Tournament ... fourth-place finish at King of the Mountain ... posted record of 60-13 over final two seasons ... career overall record of 102-45

http://www.buhuskies.com/news/2017/7/7/ ... =hootsuite
Bart
Expert

Postby John Henning » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:55 pm

You never know how some of these guys will develop with the right coaching. College is different than high school and some guys blossom late.
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Postby Husky1967 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Glad to see a list. Glad to see any such list. Thanks, Bart. Are you ready for some Huskies football? Be well. Thanks for your very informative posts.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby KolbyNorthHall » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Does anyone know what some of the past great Bloomsburg wrestlers like Ron Russo, Ron Sheehan, Shorty Hitchcock etc high school careers were? I always thought that Bloom has always been able to develop wrestlers. Maybe not getting the big time wrestler but being able over a 5 year plan to develop competitive wrestlers. I know under Roger Sanders from time to time we had top 10 recruiting classes per AWN. But for the most part we were not getting the blue chippers on a consistent basis.
KolbyNorthHall
Novice

Postby Bart » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:31 pm

New roster is up. Looks like the weakest in quite some time. http://www.buhuskies.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

Some of the more decorated recruits Immediato and Minnich didn't make it, also Stocku is missing.

Wrestlers not returning:
Noble 133
Barber 141
Colbert 157
Stanley 157
Dougherty 165
Glunt 174
DePalma 184
Vetrano 184
Carfagno 197
Spiller Hwt.

There is no doubt the wrestlers who are missing could beat the team Bloom will put on the mat this year. :x
Bart
Expert

Postby Bloomdad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 pm

I tend to disagree..Yes their is quite a few wrestlers not returning, but ask yourself why aren't they returning? Now I'm just spit balling here and maybe I'm way of base but it might just be that those particular wrestlers aren't returning because, let's say, they didn't have the desire to step up and make the effort that is required to help turn the program on a winning path. Put it in simple terms lack of desire for what ever reason. Me personally I would rather lose every match of every dual with wrestlers who bust their butt..than lose with half ass efforts and laziness. Now for whatever reason of the lose of the wrestlers from last year and this only being coach Gordon and Hughes second year you have to at least give them a chance and trust the plan and most important I believe support the young men that I know have been there all summer, and up and doing 6 a.m. Workouts six days a week. I personally will be at every match, open, tournament our what ever it is to support the kids that busting their asses
Bloomdad
Novice

Postby mattown-maniac » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 pm

I would say that's a mischaracterization. The program is on life support. Even worse, it seems nobody can even identify what the problems are. If you can't identify the problems, solving them is difficult. I wish the Huskies luck this year but I don't think it's going to be pretty.
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby Bart » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:05 am

Bart wrote:New roster is up. Looks like the weakest in quite some time. http://www.buhuskies.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

Some of the more decorated recruits Immediato and Minnich didn't make it, also Stocku is missing.

Wrestlers not returning:
Noble 133
Barber 141
Colbert 157
Stanley 157
Dougherty 165
Glunt 174
DePalma 184
Vetrano 184
Carfagno 197
Spiller Hwt.

There is no doubt the wrestlers who are missing could beat the team Bloom will put on the mat this year. :x

Today, freshman recruits and state qualifiers at 149 Socku and Mohamed Kaba were added to the roster.
Pankil Chander, Wilkes College graduate, is a volunteer assistant.
Bart
Expert

Postby huskycolonial » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:44 pm

This is the sorriest Division I roster in the country. I’ll be shocked in this team wins one match.
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby HFO » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:27 pm

All Stutzman wanted was another $100k of support from university toward salaries and benefits for himself and assistants. They were already doing all they could through camps and fund raising to get them to Top 20 status. The issue is Presidents and AD don't want to fund a sport that cannot be bundled with a women's sport. Swimming, track, cross country, tennis, etc.

Bloom AD took a gamble losing Stutzman and that a deep pocket alums would come forward. Bloom now paying that price like Millersville, ESU and the list goes on of the SSHE universities.

Bloom, Clarion, Lock Haven could recruit PA state champs for decades!
HFO
Novice

Postby mattown-maniac » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:04 am

HFO wrote:The issue is Presidents and AD don't want to fund a sport that cannot be bundled with a women's sport. Swimming, track, cross country, tennis, etc.

I think we're getting warm. Your comments are real. Let's get more real since you brought the topic up. 80 miles west on I-80 Lock Haven does what you say, i.e. "bundles" wrestling with D1 Women's Field Hockey. You are right. Bloom doesn't. I think Bloom's problems are rooted in the configuration of their athletic department offerings, Title IX considerations, and the administration just doesn't have the werewithal to place the needed emphasis on wrestling that the other D1 PSAC schools do. A day of reckoning is coming. Does Bloom go the LH, Clarion and Edinboro route or the ESU, Millersville, Slippery Rock route?
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby Husky1967 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:18 pm

Well said, MM. It is abundantly clear that the athletic administration at Bloomsburg is simply not doing the job. The decline of Bloomsburg athletics under this current regime is quite evident. Any number of wealthy contributors to and supporters of Bloom wrestling have been rebuffed and/or alienated in some degree in the last year or so --including me, although I still contribute some $$. There is a "do nothing" aura when it comes to encouraging fund raising and no "spit and fire" about much of anything. Under this current athletic administration, Bloom athletics have "slipped" enormously. Before this same athletic administration came to the helm, we had a very competent AD in Mary Gardner who shepherded Bloom through years of astounding accomplishments. I and many other wrestling supporters had at times our issues and disagreements with her, but in the end the result was we had a highly competitive team and were quite competitive at the Div I level in wrestling, but even more so we had astounding success at the Div II level in many sports. Now, we are not really competitive in much of anything. It is to me incredible that there is no forceful fund raising going on at Bloomsburg for football, wrestling, or other sports to the best of my knowledge. AND if there is, I would like to know why nobody contacts the many long time supporters, as my record and that of others of contributing to Bloomsburg athletic scholarship funding is that of long standing generosity. I am simply saddened and displeased by the current posture of the current athletic administration at Bloomsburg. It is time for a change of philosophy. It is time to become aggressive and to place some emphasis on athletic excellence instead of sitting back and being content with playing the game without some recognizably significant and positive results at a respectable level of competitiveness. Currently what is going on is not good enough! One knowledgeable wrestling friend recently stated to me that a radical change is needed What we have now at Bloom is what seems to be an atmosphere of doing very little to improve Bloomsburg athletics! If you ask why all the PSAC West football programs have by far more football scholarships, there is no viable answer! If you ask why LHU, Clarion, and Edinboro have by far more wrestling scholarships, there is no viable answer. These are valid questions. In fact, what is really needed is a change in philosophy whereby there is an enabling type of policy to raise and increase the amounts of scholarship money and thereby reinvigorate the Husky fan base, reenlist former supporters who have left the fold, and enable the ability to compete at the levels of five or six years ago. Such a change must come and be forcefully encouraged by the athletic administration. Further failure to do so is not acceptable.
Husky1967
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to EASTERN WRESTLING LEAGUE