WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Bloomsburg Future

Moderator: GAH

Bloomsburg Future

Postby KolbyNorthHall » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:12 pm

This site is really dead. Years gone by it was an active site. Is their another site everyone is using? Has anyone heard anything on the future of Bloomsburg wrestling? Team appears to be a little better than last season. Very young squad. How is the new coaching staff doing? Are they going to be able to keep most of the current team and be able to recruit anyone for next season?
KolbyNorthHall
Novice

Re: Bloomsburg Future

Postby CJC » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:10 pm

When Allen died, he took part of the EWl forum with him.

He is sadly missed.
CJC
Expert

Postby huskycolonial » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm not sure anyone cares. The school is continuing its strong tradition of not sharing any relevant information. We once again forfeit a weight every dual meet, sometimes two. Our best wrestler hasn't been back on the mat with no explanation as to why and apparently we've signed zero recruits

Pathetic.
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby mattown-maniac » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:21 pm

No recruits?
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby huskycolonial » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Not according to Intermat.
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby CJC » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:29 pm

The program was in free fall with Mester. They are at rock bottom.

Hopefully, the Administration can support wrestling as a D1 program. Russ Hughes should be able to recruit PIAA D4.

I don't why there is so much turnover and forfeits for Bloom. I haven't been to a match since 2014.

The Stutzman Era was a wild ride.

I can't believe what has happened to the program since John left for Buffalo.
CJC
Expert

Postby huskycolonial » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:36 pm

The Stutzman era was an unmitigated success.
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby Husky1967 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:55 pm

The Huskies have forfeited at 197 for a good part of the season because they have had two wrestlers go down with torn ACL's. Another upper weight wrestler also has a debilitating injury. It makes no sense to bring anybody out of red shirt, as it would have to be someone at a lower weight (174/184) and everybody would have to kick up one weight so that 197 would be filled. Not a good idea. No, they have not recruited anybody this year as of yet; and if they have, they haven't announced it. Believe me, the coaches are working at it. I assume it is known the Huskies only have three scholarships--so I have been told. The Huskies have been recently forfeiting at 141 because--to the best of my knowledge--due to a recurring skin problem with their starter. Let's give Marcus and Russ a chance to right the ship. There has been definite improvement. In many a dual meet, they have lost by a large margin, but many a bout has been lost by just a point or two. Cases in point--the Bucknell, Rider, and Cleveland State matches. I recently have not gotten many positive vibes from the athletic department at Bloomsburg when it comes to funding wrestling scholarships and in fact any sports at Bloomsburg. I have also stopped asking for the most part. And currently--there seems to be an aura of passivity about ramping up financial support for Bloomsburg athletics. I am sure there are probably a lot of factors of which I am not aware affecting the situation. We really didn't know how well off we were with Jessica Koslov. I remember being at a wrestling gathering one day, and she was there. She got up and with fortitude told all us "old timers" who were there basking in times begone and former glories ( and justifiably so) that John (Stutzman) needs money and it was up to us to help him. Well, I have been in on fund raising for Husky wrestling off and on for years, and I have talked to many former wrestling alumni over the years and I can't tell you how often I could not even prevail upon some of us to even give minscule amounts in support of Husky wrestling--specifically during a fund raiser some four years ago. Many did contribute, but I thought we should have done better. Let's get back to scholarships! According to an article in an Indiana, PA newspaper in 2016 pertaining to athletic scholarships in the PSAC, Bloomsburg awards a grand total 36.92 athletic scholarships for ALL sports? Edinboro awards 66.11, IUP 67.25, Slippery Rock 68.60, and California 74.52. By the way, IUP has 29.56 football scholarships; whereas Bloomsburg has 10.16. Only Edinboro has wrestling. If one were to ask the powers that be at Bloomsburg about this inequity, I suspect one would be hard pressed to get a succinct and viable explanation. Bloom wrestling and other sports overall seem to me to have been much better off three or four years ago than presently when compared with other PSAC schools. There is no way, we should only have half as many athletic scholarships as California (PA). We are in the same conference and subject to the same rules. We could be competitive with LHU, Clarion, and Edinboro in wrestling, but it is a stretch with only three scholarships, as I see it. Something needs to change. And last but not least, WE ALL miss Allen Brown. He was the heart and soul of the the EWL! I wish someone had the wherewithal to take his place, but Allen was simply irreplaceable. He was one of kind! A super person and a friend whom I will miss to my last day on this earth. As for us Husky wrestling fans out there, WE must once again revitalize ourselves and provide both fan and financial support for our coaches and athletes and try to influence the administration to attempt to do better by what was once a great Div I program. If indeed we only have three wrestling scholarships, that just doesn't cut in Division One by my way of thinking.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby huskycolonial » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:10 am

Husky1967,

Thank you for your years of leadership and support of the program. I also appreciate the update regarding the health of our current roster. I am sorry to hear about Spiller too.

Let me take a moment and share my story with what I believe to be the problem with Husky athletics: President David Soltz. A few years ago, I had an interview for a high-level administration position at the University. I was a finalist and had an extended private interview with the President. I was not selected but believed myself to be appropriately vetted. I am not bitter at all. In fact, I will always entertain any opportunity to work for BU.

Two things shocked and disappointed me during this process. In discussing the general conversation of admission applications increasing relative to Jahri, Larry Webster and Matt Feiler having success in the NFL, Dr. Soltz was extremely condescending towards our current NFL players. He said "While Evans gave us SOME money, Webster and Feiler don't even play. People shouldn't think coming to Bloomsburg is a pathway to the NFL." Regarding athletics in general he said "Our University has a responsible to all students, not only our athletes. Athletics are not a career at the Division II level."

Take this comments as you wish. I believe that while there may be grains of truth in these opinions, they completely underscore the value of athletics at the Division II level. This includes the opportunity for personal and professional growth through competitive athletics. It also includes opportunities for first generation students and minority students.

Bloomsburg may change for the better when leadership changes.
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby Husky1967 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:59 pm

HC,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and info. I am in complete agreement with you in anticipation that hopefully there will some positive changes with respect toward Husky athletics in the near future . You read the numbers pertaining to athletic scholarships in the PSAC. There is no way that such an inequity should exist between PSAC West and PSAC East schools, but the eastern schools just seem to shrug it off. Not much more to add at this time.

I am sure you know I have had my share of ups-and-DOWNS in the past with certain administrative individuals with respect to the funding of wrestling scholarships at Bloomsburg. I suspect I still might be persona non grata with a few of them, but I am not one to "go away". If you are at the EWLs, maybe we could hook up and talk a bit. I mentioned Spiller. I must have missed something, as I am unaware what you were alluding to.

Husky 1967

PS: Grabner at 285--true freshman--shows promise and has been doing fairly well for a true rookie.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby Husky1967 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:07 pm

HC,

I should have said: "You mentioned Spiller.

Husky 1967
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby KolbyNorthHall » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:24 pm

Did I miss something with Spiller? What happened to him?
KolbyNorthHall
Novice

Postby huskycolonial » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:50 am

I assumed Spiller was the heavyweight with the injury. He started the season like gangbusters, began getting blown out and now he's not starting.
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby Bart » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:03 am

huskycolonial wrote:I assumed Spiller was the heavyweight with the injury. He started the season like gangbusters, began getting blown out and now he's not starting.

Spiller missed some matches with an illness, and Graeber was taken off redshirt to fill in. Spiller came back and was getting beat badly. He was out last year with a medical redshirt, and something is apparently bothering him still.
Bart
Expert

Postby huskycolonial » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Where is Colbert? He was arguably our most successful wrestler. Good to see these guys are wrestling hard. Hopefully some of them are high ceiling guys who can be coached up. It would be nice to have a few blue chippers.
huskycolonial
Veteran

Next

Return to EASTERN WRESTLING LEAGUE