WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Hughes named assistant coach at Bloomsburg

Moderator: GAH

Hughes named assistant coach at Bloomsburg

Postby Bart » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:18 pm

11/15/2016 4:08:00 PM • Wrestling

Hughes Named Huskies Assistant Wrestling Coach

BLOOMSBURG—Bloomsburg University Direct of Athletics Dr. Michael McFarland has announced the hiring of Russ Hughes as assistant wrestling coach. He will join the staff of first-year head coach Marcus Gordon.

Hughes comes to Bloomsburg after serving as the head coach of Benton High School since 2007 compiling a record of 118-62.

Dr. McFarland said, "We are pleased that Russ will be joining our coaching staff. His understanding of the sport, connections through Pennsylvania, and desire to see the student-athletes succeed makes him a tremendous compliment to coach Gordon's staff."

Hughes, a 1998 graduate of Penn State, guided Benton High School to the 210 PIAA "AA" Team State Championship, while finishing as runners-up in 2009 and 2013. He also guided Benton to four PIAA District 4 "AA" titles and five PIAA "AA" Northeast Regional crowns. He was named the 2010 PIAA "AA" Wrestling Coach of the Year and was inducted into the Pennsylvania Coaches Hall of fame in 2003.

As a wrestler for the Nittany Lions he was a 1996 NCAA Division I All-American finishing third that year. He was also a 1995 USA University Freestyle Champion; captured the USA Fila Junior World Freestyle title in 1992 and was a 1991 USA Junior Greco-Roman Champion.

http://www.buhuskies.com/news/2016/11/1 ... coach.aspx
Bart
Expert

Re: Hughes named assistant coach at Bloomsburg

Postby CJC » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:23 pm

Great hire!

Go Bloom
CJC
Expert

Postby Husky1967 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:39 pm

This is the best news for Bloomsburg wrestling in a couple of years. This was the right thing to do. Russ Hughes is one of the most respected coaches in the greater Susquehanna Valley. His becoming the assistant coach at Bloomsburg will open up unlimited recruiting possibilities for Husky wrestling, but beyond that his wrestling knowledge and prowess will result in Husky wrestling very rapidly improving and being much more competitive at the Div I level as it used to be. Let's all get behind Marcus and Russ and help to restore Husky wrestling to former greatness. Congratulations to Marcus and Russ!! Hope to see you often this Winter! It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. Husky wrestling back on the right track!
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby Bloomu1972 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:37 pm

I ditto. This is a great hire for Bloom. Russ Hughes will be a big asset in the wrestling room and on the recruiting trail. Now we need to keep the current roster in the fold and develop these guys. Then we need to hit the recruiting trail and bring in some more reinforcements that can be quality students and also have the potential to develop into a competitive Division 1 wrestler. We need to get Bloom back in as not only a yearly PSAC contender but also a EWL contender and have consistent wrestlers qualify for the NCAA's and score points.
Bloomu1972
Novice

Postby huskycolonial » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:36 pm

I agree. Despite all of our previous disagreements, now is the time to rally around the program, these coaches and these young men. Early indications are these guy are working hard and wrestling hard. I think Colbert, Depalma and Spiller have NCAA potential
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby Bart » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:52 pm

huskycolonial wrote:I agree. Despite all of our previous disagreements, now is the time to rally around the program, these coaches and these young men. Early indications are these guy are working hard and wrestling hard. I think Colbert, Depalma and Spiller have NCAA potential

Colbert yes. Depalma isn't wrestling due to another injury. Spiller looks small for a hwt., and appeared injured against Northwestern.
Bart
Expert

Postby Husky1967 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:42 am

As I indicated, hiring Russ Hughes is a big plus. Now let me say, you have to have some better recruiting to bring in some top flight material to allow Russ and Marcus to elevate the program. Did any of you ever wonder why Bloomsburg is so passive about the number of athletic scholarships they offer, as opposed to the Edinboro, Slippery Rock, IUP, and California?? It never seems to have an effect when a certain group tries to raise money for a specific sport at Bloomsburg, all sorts of money is raised, but nothing seems to get any better. All sports at Bloomsburg are slipping into the area of non-competitiveness. Where has all the raised money gone? I suspect into endownments which do nothing for anybody, as they pay a measly 4%. We need to have an airing of scholarship policies at Bloomsburg. We have around 10 football scholarships and IUP and Cal have around 30!! Why??!! We raised lots of money for wrestling over the past four or five years, but we never recruit any "blue chippers". WHY? We did so back in 80s and 90s!! Nobody at Bloom will ever give any answers when asked. They just give evasive excuses! This attitude must be changed!
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby Bloomu1972 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:34 pm

About 8 years ago I was staying in Lock

Haven at the same hotel as the WVU wresting team. I talked to their coach at breakfast and asked him what had happened to the programs at LockHaven, Bloom, and Clarion and why Edinboro had remained nationally competitive. He mentioned the difference in scholarships that Edinboro had compared to the other 3. He also mentioned the cost of attending a PSAC today compared to other schools compared to the differences of the 80's and 90's. He said before Bloom did not have to raise as much money back then to provide a full scholarship or a partial scholarship like they have to now.
Bloomu1972
Novice

Return to EASTERN WRESTLING LEAGUE