WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Mester Resigns

Moderator: GAH

Re: Mester Resigns

Postby CJC » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:04 pm

mm55 wrote:Who are the finalists? I'm going with the info above Beasley Marcus Gordon, Chertow. Beasley gets the job. What's everyone else's guess on these finalists?

Hopefully Russ Hughes!
CJC
Expert

Postby mm55 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:39 pm

They just need to turn things around to avoid being dropped. The more healthy,competitive programs there are the better. This is an important hire IMO because this has to be the final straw with the program for a cash strapped school.
mm55
Veteran

Mester Resigns

Postby huskycolonial » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:14 pm

Is the team even having wrestle offs? Is anyone in the practice room? Any information from the AD would be welcomed.
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby Vikings » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:46 am

Expect things to make progress very soon as far as head coach. And they've been working out like normal.
Vikings
Novice

Postby Husky1967 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:45 am

I suspect Beasley might be out of the picture. Probably not a good enough offer to cause him to leave NC State.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby Husky1967 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:13 pm

A reliable source has told me that Beasley, Cody, and Chertow are all out of the picture. I have no way of knowing whether this is 100%, but it doesn't sound very encouraging. I think I can surmise what the hang-ups are; but it would only be speculation, so I will say nothing more and hope my source is misinformed.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby Bloomu1972 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:38 pm

Marcus Gordon new coach. Not what I was hoping for. I see Bloom not remaining in Division 1. They needed to make a statement and they failed to do so.

Gordon Named Huskies Head Wrestling Coach

Bookmark and Share
StoryPlayers MentionedRelated Videos
LIST OF PREVIOUS COACHES

BLOOMSBURG--Bloomsburg University Vice-President for Students Affairs Dr. Dione Somerville has announced the hiring of Marcus Gordon as the new head coach for wrestling. Gordon had spent the past three years as the assistant coach of the Huskies.

"Marcus emerged from a very talented pool of applicants and we are thrilled to be able to name him as our next head wrestling coach," said Somerville. "He is a quiet, but passionate individual who we feel has what it takes to grow our program on the mat as well as in the classroom. His love for the sport and the University is evident."

"I would like to thank President (David) Soltz, Dr. (Michael) McFarland, Dr. Somerville, and the search committee for giving me the opportunity to lead the Bloomsburg University wrestling team," said Gordon. "I am excited to step into the new role as head coach and help this young team achieve their goals in the classroom and on the mat. Bloomsburg University has a rich tradition in wrestling and my goal is to have the team wrestling at a high level and build off the storied past."

Before coming to Bloomsburg, Gordon spending six seasons as the assistant coach at Ashland (OH) University where he was also a standout wrestler for the Eagles.

At Ashland, Gordon was involved in every aspect of the AU program playing a prominent role in recruiting, assisting in camps and special projects along with coaching responsibilities during matches and practices. He had four consecutive top five recruiting classes, including a number one ranking in 2009 according to USA Wrestling. Gordon also helped coach 26 NCAA D-II national qualifiers; nine NCAA D-II All-Americans and 21 NWCA All-Academic student-athletes. He helped the Eagles to a 15-2-1 dual meet record in 2010-11, the school's best record in 30 years.

As a wrestler Gordon was a three-year letterman for the Eagles. He was a two-time qualifier for the national meet and a two-time Academic All-American (Wrestling Coaches of America). He won a championship at the 2008 Midwest Classic and that same season was a regional champion. During the 2007-08 season Gordon was ranked as high as third in the country. Gordon also served as a team captain.

Gordon began his collegiate career at Eastern Michigan where he was a two-year starter on the mat at EMU.

As a high school wrestler Gordon was a wrestling standout at Mapleton (OH) High School. During his prep career he was a four-time OHSAA state placer and a two-time state champion. He was also named the most valuable wrestler at the state championship meet. He holds Mapleton's record for career takedowns (886).

Gordon earned a degree in special education at Ashland. He, his wife, Jessica, and son Nash, reside in the Bloomsburg area.

The Huskies open the 2016-17 season on Sunday, Nov. 6 hosting the Bloomsburg University Duals with Davidson and Keystone.
Bloomu1972
Novice

Postby mm55 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:22 pm

Maybe I'm being a pessimist, but it seems Bloom is putting up the white flag. What are the positives he brings to this job?
mm55
Veteran

Postby Npgheaglefan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:02 pm

I know nothing about Bloom or this choice but I wonder if the admin felt this was the safe choice in keeping the kids together based on having someone they know and are comfortable with? Clarion did a similar thing with Ferraro last year after their mess and mass exodus for recruits in the previous few years? They now appear headed in the right direction with some new assistants, some good recruits and a young team. I hope it works out.
Npgheaglefan
Veteran

Postby threethree » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:07 pm

Does that article say that Bloom opens up with Davidson and "Keystone?" Isn't Keystone a first or second year junior college? Interesting.
threethree
Veteran

Postby GoBU32 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:16 pm

I'd say give Gordon a chance. From what I have heard the kids on the team respect him and love the attitude he brings into practice everyday. I personally believe he can help the Huskies do great things and become the top 25 team they once were. The wrestling team needs support not people on here bashing them and their coach. As for having Keystone on the schedule thata poor remark. Many Division 1 teams wrestle lower division teams. Last year Big Ten Rutgers wrestled Division 3 Centenary.
GoBU32
"Newbie"

Postby Husky1967 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:45 am

I hope it works out for the best, although it was not what I anticipated or hoped for. I guess we will see. Hopefully, Marcus will be able to successfully recruit and function with the resources that are provided to him so that the Huskies can function at a competitive level in Division I. I am sure financial constraints played a role in how this whole process of getting a new head coach has played out. If not, then I would certainly like to know what other factors led to the precluding the likes of Frank Beasley or Mark Cody or Ken Chertow from accepting or acquiring the position. I guess we will soon find out what the outcome for Bloomsburg wrestling will be. I would be remiss if I neglected to wish Marcus the best in his new role as head coach of a Division I wrestling team. So, congratulations to Marcus, and I wish him success and good fortune with the difficult task that lies before him. As our late friend Allen Brown used to say and I quote: "On we go!"
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby Bart » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:21 am

threethree wrote:Does that article say that Bloom opens up with Davidson and "Keystone?" Isn't Keystone a first or second year junior college? Interesting.

Keystone's wrestling coach Steve Mytych was on the staff at Bloom. I think they are just trying to help him out by inviting his team.
Bart
Expert

Postby Husky1967 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks, Bart. I'm glad to see Steve is coaching at Keystone. I know he was coaching high school for a while at the AA level at Wyoming Valley up in District II. Good to see him move up in the wrestling world!
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby threethree » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Makes sense that they would wrestle Keystone since Steve is on staff. I didn't realize that.
threethree
Veteran

Previous

Return to EASTERN WRESTLING LEAGUE